Bullnose Forum

Dad's Truck Build

Did some work on Dad's truck today.  Not much, but it is progress!  :nabble_smiley_good:

As discussed in Standalone E4OD Controller, I called Compushift and talked with Mike. He was a wealth of knowledge and very helpful, so I think I've decided on using their controller for the E4OD.

But the discussion with him about the TPS fitting the Demon carb got me wanting to check that carb out.  Turns out it wasn't mounted so I pulled the duct tape off the intake and was greeted with a gooey mess.  After getting that cleaned up I loosely mounted the carb - "loosely" because I don't like the stud/nut combo that was sent with the carb.  They are 5/16-18 to go into the intake and 5/16-24 on top for the nuts.  I'd prefer to use the 12-point bolts that you can see in the picture, but I've not found where I bought them. I think Tim Meyer probably provided them when he built the engine, so I called and left him a message.

Then I dug out the air cleaner and slipped it on.  Needs to be cleaned up a bit when the time comes.  And I still want to do the 400 HO decal for it, but that's going to take a bit of planning as I don't know how to do that - yet.

CarbMounted.thumb.jpg.7003d935f1aea0286172896f5114cece.jpg

DualSnorkelOnEngineInTruck.thumb.jpg.bf9ce16d6b5b1b8ecf6cac63b4980fd1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gary Lewis said:

Demon is now owned by Holley.  But not designed by Holley.  This page explains a bit. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Ok ... pretty sure I was missing something ... 

So, Holley's engineering team gave up and their merger and acquisition team decided to compete with Edelbrock 🙃

My carb is a Street Demon, and it isn't designed like or by Holley.  It was designed, if I remember correctly, by a carb engineer that had worked for Carter, and he used a number of innovations they used.  Like the fuel being contained in a solid bowl, either of aluminum or polymer, pistons as accelerator pumps not fabric diaphragms, and adjustable secondaries like the AVS or QJet.  Plus metering rods & springs that can be swapped out from the top.

At some point Holley bought the company that made Demon carbs, but hasn't changed the designs from what I've read.  If I were buying today I'd probably go with the AVS2.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 3:14 PM, Gary Lewis said:

Exhaust: I have the original cast iron manifolds and may go back with them.  But will have to figure out what to coat them with as most powders won't stand up to the heat

Gary, I believe early Jaguars had ceramic coated exhaust manifolds.

• Like 1

Got the fasteners in from Tim Meyer to use on the carb and the thermostat housing.  Turns out they are Gardner-Westcott and if he doesn't have them I could order from them.

Installed the carb using them, and there's a closeup of the carb below with one stud/nut and one 12-point bolt which lets you see the difference.  And there's a wider view of the engine where you can see some of the other GW bolts that Tim used.

IMG_2011.thumb.JPG.55a57f40ca7e2b0c6633cba8a1629410.JPG

IMG_2012.thumb.JPG.e86b81a41fc05950f3df8d04d8dc457d.JPG

• Like 2