Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Grumpin - It is all in the way the information is presented. I explained that the yard has the part but that it will be less expensive if I pull it. But, my battery-powered reciprocating saw won't work as there's still a transmission down below that it would hit. So, I need a right-angle grinder, but it has to be battery-powered as there's no 110v in the yard.

Ridgid has one that uses my considerable complement of batteries, but from Home Depot it only comes in kits with other tools - for $300 or $700. And I already have most of those tools. However, Direct Tool has the grinder by itself for $99, and we are going to be there anyway on Friday.

On top of that, the Ridgid vacuum that we'd already agreed I'd buy when there isn't available in anything but a kit with a blower, which I don't need. So, this is less money all the way around. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Steve - I've not been impressed with how long metal-cutting jigsaw blades last. I've tried several different ones in my little 110V saw and they tend to die pretty quickly. But I've had good luck with cutoff wheels on a right-angle grinder, so will be going that way. And I'm not worried about the power situation. I have 4 batteries and that video says the batteries lasted a long time. So I should have plenty of power.

Holy moly Gary. Thats a long, tedious and expensive fix for something a hammer could take care of in 2 minutes....just saying.....:nabble_smiley_evil::nabble_smiley_wink:

Holy moly Gary. Thats a long, tedious and expensive fix for something a hammer could take care of in 2 minutes....just saying.....:nabble_smiley_evil::nabble_smiley_wink:

Ray - When you have a very talented paint/body man, who has already spent countless extra hours on this truck to get it right, tell you he doesn't think we should beat on it you listen. Or, at least I do.

John is way more than "capable". I've seen him shape metal, and I'm confident he can do it. But in this case, standing there looking at the issue, he said he's been thinking about this a LOT, and he just doesn't think using a hammer is the right approach.

Grumpin - Yes, the original floor save for a bit. We just have to move the high/low transition back 2". I've stood there and gazed at the floor and think "I've got it!" and then say "I ain't got it." There's just something creative about taking a piece of one floor and laying it over another floor that escapes me. I don't have a creative bone in my body. I know it can be done, but I just haven't twigged as to exactly where to cut to make it happen. So, I'll cut a much bigger piece out of the donor than is necessary to make sure I have enough.

I've thought about playing with it on Photoshop. Copy a section and see if I can lay it over the other section and make it work. Perhaps I should try that.

Ray - When you have a very talented paint/body man, who has already spent countless extra hours on this truck to get it right, tell you he doesn't think we should beat on it you listen. Or, at least I do.

John is way more than "capable". I've seen him shape metal, and I'm confident he can do it. But in this case, standing there looking at the issue, he said he's been thinking about this a LOT, and he just doesn't think using a hammer is the right approach.

Grumpin - Yes, the original floor save for a bit. We just have to move the high/low transition back 2". I've stood there and gazed at the floor and think "I've got it!" and then say "I ain't got it." There's just something creative about taking a piece of one floor and laying it over another floor that escapes me. I don't have a creative bone in my body. I know it can be done, but I just haven't twigged as to exactly where to cut to make it happen. So, I'll cut a much bigger piece out of the donor than is necessary to make sure I have enough.

I've thought about playing with it on Photoshop. Copy a section and see if I can lay it over the other section and make it work. Perhaps I should try that.

Still need to know if the floor of a 90 cab is different? I know a guy that has one, and you do too. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I know the crew cabs have a tall tunnel, the E4OD sits down a ways under the floor. Here are some pictures of the E4OD from underneath and through the removed tunnel cover.

My 4x2 transmission tunnel has a hump pressed into it, that I've seen on a few other bricknose trucks as well. So if there's a difference there, I'm sure there could be more elsewhere.

My 4x2 transmission tunnel has a hump pressed into it, that I've seen on a few other bricknose trucks as well. So if there's a difference there, I'm sure there could be more elsewhere.

Bill - I will be able to use a low cover over the E4OD instead of one of the later tall covers like the ZF5 takes.

Shaun - Sorry, I forgot. Can you take a pic of either the inside or bottom side of the floor, just ahead of the inside seat belt bolt holes? Maybe with a tape in the pic?

Thanks.

Shaun - Sorry, I forgot. Can you take a pic of either the inside or bottom side of the floor, just ahead of the inside seat belt bolt holes? Maybe with a tape in the pic?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot get a clear pic as I have both the original sound deadening and what seems to be a pretty mangled floor that makes it hard to discern what is a body line and what is damage. However, after looking at the picture you posted of your floor, although there are some differences in the 1990 floor, the area in question is the same between my cab and yours.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot get a clear pic as I have both the original sound deadening and what seems to be a pretty mangled floor that makes it hard to discern what is a body line and what is damage. However, after looking at the picture you posted of your floor, although there are some differences in the 1990 floor, the area in question is the same between my cab and yours.

Interesting. So the floors in that area look to be the same. That means to potential donors are more plentiful. Thanks.