Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Seriously, had I known how long this would take and how involved it would be I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gone down this path.
Sounds kind of like children Gary! 😂And yes it was meant as a compliment. I was referring to the lifted cab and preparation is going to make the engine/transmission install quite nice compared to the usual method! Monday should be a great day and Dad would be proud.
Yes, like children. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, the prep is going to make it easy. Here's the plan, but steps 1 - 4 will be done prior to Monday:

1. Install the transmission mount on the transmission and torque the fasteners
  2. Install the flexplate on the engine, torquing the bolts down - after ensuring that the engine plate is already on the engine.
  3. Pick up the engine and position it in front of the truck, and put it back on the floor - with the spacers under the legs so the pan doesn't hit the floor. (The ram on the shop crane leaks and it'll be on the floor the next morning if I don't put it down myself.)
  4. Roll the transmission on its engine stand to the side and out of the way, ready to be picked up.
  5. Pick up engine, remove stands, and bolt on the mounts, torquing them down.
  6. Trundle forward w/the crane, lay the engine in place, and run the nuts on the mounts down finger tight and then prop the engine up from whatever end it needs it to be stable
  7. Roll back, install the load balancer, pick up the transmission, insert the input shaft into the transmission ensuring that it seats in the splines and is lubed for the seals. Then install the torque converter into the transmission, ensuring that the three "steps" are felt and that the hub of the transmission is 1/4" behind the mating surface of the bellhousing. And strap the torque converter in place so it can't fall off as the whole thing is lifted into place.
  8. Trundle forward to lay the transmission down behind the engine. Making sure there is some lube on the pilot of the torque converter, mate the transmission to the engine and the torque converter to the flexplate. Make sure that there's a bit of slack where the torque converter isn't in a bind.
  9. Torque the flexplate nuts, and torque the transmission/engine bolts
  10. With the transmission still held by the shop crane, raise/lower the transmission and move the crossmember until the transmission mount's studs will engage with the crossmember and install the nuts finger tight on the studs.
  11. Use a jack under the crossmember, suitably padded, and ease the transmission down onto the crossmember. Square up the crossmember with the frame to find the right position, including the brace, then mark the hole positions.
  12. Remove the crossmember, supporting the transmission with a jack, and drill the holes. Paint the holes, twice, and let the paint dry.
  13. Install the crossmember, lower the transmission onto it, and torque all the nuts/bolts down for the crossmember, transmission mount, and engine mounts.
  14. Install the transfer case using either the shop crane or just carry it by hand, coat the gasket with Ultra Gray, and torque the bolts down.
  15. Lay the quilt over the front of the bed, and lower the cab onto the frame, making sure the mount bolts are aligned. Tighten the fasteners finger tight. (They'll be tighted appropriately when John aligns the cab with the bed.

Wow! That's a lot more than I thought when you type it out. :nabble_anim_working:

Anyway, comments welcomed! What am I missing?

Yes, like children. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, the prep is going to make it easy. Here's the plan, but steps 1 - 4 will be done prior to Monday:

1. Install the transmission mount on the transmission and torque the fasteners
  2. Install the flexplate on the engine, torquing the bolts down - after ensuring that the engine plate is already on the engine.
  3. Pick up the engine and position it in front of the truck, and put it back on the floor - with the spacers under the legs so the pan doesn't hit the floor. (The ram on the shop crane leaks and it'll be on the floor the next morning if I don't put it down myself.)
  4. Roll the transmission on its engine stand to the side and out of the way, ready to be picked up.
  5. Pick up engine, remove stands, and bolt on the mounts, torquing them down.
  6. Trundle forward w/the crane, lay the engine in place, and run the nuts on the mounts down finger tight and then prop the engine up from whatever end it needs it to be stable
  7. Roll back, install the load balancer, pick up the transmission, insert the input shaft into the transmission ensuring that it seats in the splines and is lubed for the seals. Then install the torque converter into the transmission, ensuring that the three "steps" are felt and that the hub of the transmission is 1/4" behind the mating surface of the bellhousing. And strap the torque converter in place so it can't fall off as the whole thing is lifted into place.
  8. Trundle forward to lay the transmission down behind the engine. Making sure there is some lube on the pilot of the torque converter, mate the transmission to the engine and the torque converter to the flexplate. Make sure that there's a bit of slack where the torque converter isn't in a bind.
  9. Torque the flexplate nuts, and torque the transmission/engine bolts
  10. With the transmission still held by the shop crane, raise/lower the transmission and move the crossmember until the transmission mount's studs will engage with the crossmember and install the nuts finger tight on the studs.
  11. Use a jack under the crossmember, suitably padded, and ease the transmission down onto the crossmember. Square up the crossmember with the frame to find the right position, including the brace, then mark the hole positions.
  12. Remove the crossmember, supporting the transmission with a jack, and drill the holes. Paint the holes, twice, and let the paint dry.
  13. Install the crossmember, lower the transmission onto it, and torque all the nuts/bolts down for the crossmember, transmission mount, and engine mounts.
  14. Install the transfer case using either the shop crane or just carry it by hand, coat the gasket with Ultra Gray, and torque the bolts down.
  15. Lay the quilt over the front of the bed, and lower the cab onto the frame, making sure the mount bolts are aligned. Tighten the fasteners finger tight. (They'll be tighted appropriately when John aligns the cab with the bed.

Wow! That's a lot more than I thought when you type it out. :nabble_anim_working:

Anyway, comments welcomed! What am I missing?

Gary, did you by chance measure where the transmission cross member mount holes were on the Huck? I’m just wondering if you really will need to drill. On the IDI 4x4 trucks you can interchange at least the T19, C6, and ZF without frame drilling as long as you have the respective cross member that goes to the transmission. I realize in your case you have the added element of a 400 with an E4OD which was never a factory combination, but provided the rear of the block is in the same place as a 460 you at least have a chance. Maybe the E4OD trucks had more or different holes drilled.... just curious if you compared frame holes before you sent it on it’s way.

Gary, did you by chance measure where the transmission cross member mount holes were on the Huck? I’m just wondering if you really will need to drill. On the IDI 4x4 trucks you can interchange at least the T19, C6, and ZF without frame drilling as long as you have the respective cross member that goes to the transmission. I realize in your case you have the added element of a 400 with an E4OD which was never a factory combination, but provided the rear of the block is in the same place as a 460 you at least have a chance. Maybe the E4OD trucks had more or different holes drilled.... just curious if you compared frame holes before you sent it on it’s way.

I did measure, but I don't know where the measurements are. However, it is sort of a moot point as the E4OD crossmember is an odd duck. The passenger's side is L-shaped with the leg of the L pointing up and bolting to the outside of the frame. However, the driver's side is just like the other crossmembers in that it sits on the bottom lip of the frame and the brace bolts to the top.

But, there are no bolt holes in that area, which is several inches back of the regular crossmember bolt holes. However, this is the Swiss-cheese frame, so there are holes in the side of the frame, not just bolt holes. It looks like I won't have to bolt where a hole is, but I'm not sure yet. :nabble_smiley_uh:

I did measure, but I don't know where the measurements are. However, it is sort of a moot point as the E4OD crossmember is an odd duck. The passenger's side is L-shaped with the leg of the L pointing up and bolting to the outside of the frame. However, the driver's side is just like the other crossmembers in that it sits on the bottom lip of the frame and the brace bolts to the top.

But, there are no bolt holes in that area, which is several inches back of the regular crossmember bolt holes. However, this is the Swiss-cheese frame, so there are holes in the side of the frame, not just bolt holes. It looks like I won't have to bolt where a hole is, but I'm not sure yet. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Hopefully you will miss the Swiss cheese holes 😬. I didn’t realize the E4OD was so different. Will the difference in C channel height matter? I’m thinking the F250/350’s were taller?

Hopefully you will miss the Swiss cheese holes 😬. I didn’t realize the E4OD was so different. Will the difference in C channel height matter? I’m thinking the F250/350’s were taller?

I don't think the height is different at that point. I say that because it appears to fit nicely with the measurements I've taken. And, it appears to miss the holes in the cheese frame.

I don't think the height is different at that point. I say that because it appears to fit nicely with the measurements I've taken. And, it appears to miss the holes in the cheese frame.

Gary, truck is looking great. Sorry I havent been on much. Been busy. I plan to get on here more as I start working on the garage again.

Thanks, Ray. But no apologies are needed. God, family, and work are more important than trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

When I installed the E4OD in Darth, the length differences were: OA length 3" longer than the C6, mount pad, 7" further back than the C6. I am pretty sure F150s got the E4OD as did Broncos, it was used on the 300 and 351 applications as the AOD/AODE/4R70W wasn't considered strong enough for the torque of those engines. This would most likely have been aero nose models (1992-96), although possibly some late brick nose models could have had it, particularly 4WD models.

Gary, I would almost be scared to really push that truck hard with the Swiss cheese frame, the power that 408 has, particularly low done could probably twist that frame.

When I installed the E4OD in Darth, the length differences were: OA length 3" longer than the C6, mount pad, 7" further back than the C6. I am pretty sure F150s got the E4OD as did Broncos, it was used on the 300 and 351 applications as the AOD/AODE/4R70W wasn't considered strong enough for the torque of those engines. This would most likely have been aero nose models (1992-96), although possibly some late brick nose models could have had it, particularly 4WD models.

Gary, I would almost be scared to really push that truck hard with the Swiss cheese frame, the power that 408 has, particularly low done could probably twist that frame.

Yes, that engine is going to be stout, especially down low. But Diesel Brad has a pulling truck w/a Swiss cheese frame, and he's getting lotsa power from his engine. So while the frame may twist, it apparently comes back to its original shape when the power comes off.

Anyway, yes the E4OD is a big dude. It'll look impressive when coupled to that engine and backed up by the BW1356. Gonna take lots of cab-off pics. In fact, my son just said to make sure I send him one on Monday. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Too easy?!?! Nobody in their right mind would ever do this - assuming "this" is take every nut, bolt, washer, and spring down to base metal and then coat it. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Bing offers: nobody in their right mind. phrase. If you say that nobody in their right mind would do a particular thing, you are emphasizing that it is an irrational thing to do and you would be surprised if anyone did it. [emphasis]

:nabble_anim_handshake: