Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Steve - I'll check it out. Thanks.

All - Finally got the paint/powder off the E4OD crossmember. Wow, that was a battle. Anyway, got it and the front crossmember powder coated today:

Here are the markings on the front crossmember - FABCO and Made In Canada. I don't see any Ford stamp or part numbers.

And here are the markings on the E4OD crossmember.

But, I took a look this afternoon and I may not have the right tie rods/ends. So, before I paint them I need to figure out what I have vs what I need, and re-order if I have some of the wrong parts.

Then I can paint the sway bar and the tie rods and get all that assembled. Plus put the wheel bearings in and the hub locks, and have a roller!

I wish I had a powder coat oven, everything you've coated looks awesome. I bet that truck will last several lifetimes.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What diameter do you use?
Probably 3/8-1/2". But you should probably look at the gravel building up on your frame & in your shackle brackets, and size the hole for that. If you have none, 1/4" hole might be big enough.

Thanks Steve, the mud/gravel that I get accumulating there is usually pretty small. Good to know what size has worked for you though...

Cross members look great Gary! Once Dad’s truck is a roller it will be all downhill from there right???😉. How exciting!

Thanks Steve, the mud/gravel that I get accumulating there is usually pretty small. Good to know what size has worked for you though...

Cross members look great Gary! Once Dad’s truck is a roller it will be all downhill from there right???😉. How exciting!

Thanks, guys. But just because you have a powder coating oven doesn't mean you should use it on everything. Yes, this may last several lifetimes, but it is taking a lifetime to do.

As for it all being down hill from here, not quite. There's the issue of EFI and the significant changes to the wiring. But, we are on a roll!

Plus put the wheel bearings in and the hub locks, and have a roller!
Bearings - yes. But the truck can be driven without hub locks. They don't carry any weight or hold anything in. Their dust caps keep contaminants out of the hubs, but duct tape will do that, too, for a while. So don't let hub locks keep you from putting it back on the ground.

Plus put the wheel bearings in and the hub locks, and have a roller!
Bearings - yes. But the truck can be driven without hub locks. They don't carry any weight or hold anything in. Their dust caps keep contaminants out of the hubs, but duct tape will do that, too, for a while. So don't let hub locks keep you from putting it back on the ground.

Very true, Steve. But I now have all of the parts for the hub locks, having gotten in the kit from Mile Marker, and can put them together and on as well.

However, I'm not sure how today is going to transpire. I have a dental appointment for a broken cap at 8:00, and church tonight. And in the interim we may go visit a lady from church that is on hospice. So, I may not get a lot done. We shall see.

Very true, Steve. But I now have all of the parts for the hub locks, having gotten in the kit from Mile Marker, and can put them together and on as well.

However, I'm not sure how today is going to transpire. I have a dental appointment for a broken cap at 8:00, and church tonight. And in the interim we may go visit a lady from church that is on hospice. So, I may not get a lot done. We shall see.

Good on ya! James 1:27 (Even if she's not a widow!)

Good on ya! James 1:27 (Even if she's not a widow!)

Thanks. Unfortunately we didn't get to go as she was sleeping. Hasn't eaten in a few days, but was lucid day before yesterday. May get to see her tomorrow.

But, the lady we visited in the hospital on Monday got to go home Tuesday, so that's good news.

As for today, it'll be short as we are to meet my brother and his wife at 5:00 to have dinner and hand off the American Racing wheels for his '55 Chevy. But, I hope to make PROGRESS in the interim. :nabble_anim_jump:

Thanks. Unfortunately we didn't get to go as she was sleeping. Hasn't eaten in a few days, but was lucid day before yesterday. May get to see her tomorrow.

But, the lady we visited in the hospital on Monday got to go home Tuesday, so that's good news.

As for today, it'll be short as we are to meet my brother and his wife at 5:00 to have dinner and hand off the American Racing wheels for his '55 Chevy. But, I hope to make PROGRESS in the interim. :nabble_anim_jump:

IT IS NOW ON ALL FOURS!

Gotta go meet my brother, but here are some pics. First, here's how I protected the powder coated hub when installing the wheel - Brandon/Bruno2's red tape:

Front_Hub_Protection.thumb.jpg.49cad3ecd89e22bd8f45db11e4b889d8.jpg

And here's the wheel, hub lock, and NOS center cap, albeit ugly lug nuts:

Front_Wheel_On_With_Cap.thumb.jpg.f06b27a91608c875363337c1ac5631d4.jpg

Here's the rear wheel with an old center cap, but it shows what I was trying to mimic with the lock-out hubs:

Rear_Wheel_On_With_Cap.thumb.jpg.b10fe6fa1057ffc8085a915a68d19c0e.jpg

Last, it is on the ground, although not with all its weight or it'll move on the lift:

On_All_Fours_-_03142019.thumb.jpg.374d38f72c3c229e807cffbe40345e47.jpg

IT IS NOW ON ALL FOURS!

Gotta go meet my brother, but here are some pics. First, here's how I protected the powder coated hub when installing the wheel - Brandon/Bruno2's red tape:

Here's the rear wheel with an old center cap, but it shows what I was trying to mimic with the lock-out hubs:

Last, it is on the ground, although not with all its weight or it'll move on the lift:

:nabble_anim_claps:

Fantastic Gary!!! Looks great and a major step forward 😁

IT IS NOW ON ALL FOURS!

Dang Gary, That IS nice...I gotta get bizzy.