Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

...it leaked and there was always a mess under it.
In this house & shop, I mounted all the soap dispensers over the sinks so the drips either go in, or fall on the tray to be soaked into the sponge or brush for later use. I have a wall-mount hand-cleaner dispenser, but those bottles are too expensive, so I didn't mount it here. I use a fastorange pump jug or a big bucket of Gojo/Goop/etc.

...it leaked and there was always a mess under it.
In this house & shop, I mounted all the soap dispensers over the sinks so the drips either go in, or fall on the tray to be soaked into the sponge or brush for later use. I have a wall-mount hand-cleaner dispenser, but those bottles are too expensive, so I didn't mount it here. I use a fastorange pump jug or a big bucket of Gojo/Goop/etc.

Got the rivets "popped" and then the patch primed today. And, tightening/popping the rivets didn't move the patch whatsoever. In fact, I think the floor is now slightly stronger since it has the 1" overlap around the patch, with both adhesive and the rivets holding things in place. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here are some pics, starting with before painting and then after painting.

Patch_Installed_-_From_Below.thumb.jpg.5f86953c5459de5950169673c921ca5b.jpg

Patch_Installed_and_Painted_-_Below.thumb.jpg.24e108586f130058bef95205db41ae2d.jpg

And here's the patch from above, after painting:

Patch_Installed_-_From_Above_Left.thumb.jpg.aafe12097c5322479e83de388e64f078.jpg

Last, here's the clearance, although before I torque the body mounts down. There's probably 1 1/4" there, although it is really hard to measure.

Patch_Installed_and_Painted_-_Clearance.thumb.jpg.e880d8fedb986f6a4ade5fb3fb404be6.jpg

Got the rivets "popped" and then the patch primed today. And, tightening/popping the rivets didn't move the patch whatsoever. In fact, I think the floor is now slightly stronger since it has the 1" overlap around the patch, with both adhesive and the rivets holding things in place. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here are some pics, starting with before painting and then after painting.

And here's the patch from above, after painting:

Last, here's the clearance, although before I torque the body mounts down. There's probably 1 1/4" there, although it is really hard to measure.

Nice job!

What kind of puller did you use to pull the rivets?

Those "Marson" rivets look similar to the Cherry brand I used to use on aircraft, but not as strong.

The Cherry locks could be used as structural, although some of the old salts I was around did not use a blind rivet unless you absolutely, positively could not get a solid rivet in there.

An old boss of mine could get his assortment of bucking bars in some amazing places!

Nice job!

What kind of puller did you use to pull the rivets?

Those "Marson" rivets look similar to the Cherry brand I used to use on aircraft, but not as strong.

The Cherry locks could be used as structural, although some of the old salts I was around did not use a blind rivet unless you absolutely, positively could not get a solid rivet in there.

An old boss of mine could get his assortment of bucking bars in some amazing places!

I have a Craftsman HD rivet puller. When I got my first blast cabinet, an Eastwood, it used pop rivets to hold it together. But those were serious rivets and my little puller wouldn't do it. Hence the HD one But it took everything I had today to pop those rivets.

Those rivets are in Fastenal's "structural" rivet catalog, and are even more "serious" than the ones used on the blast cabinet. I'm convinced that patch is going nowhere.

I have a Craftsman HD rivet puller. When I got my first blast cabinet, an Eastwood, it used pop rivets to hold it together. But those were serious rivets and my little puller wouldn't do it. Hence the HD one But it took everything I had today to pop those rivets.

Those rivets are in Fastenal's "structural" rivet catalog, and are even more "serious" than the ones used on the blast cabinet. I'm convinced that patch is going nowhere.

Cool!

I used a pneumatic puller a few times!

Cherry.jpg.704edb031fa9c00df7f957c81c61014f.jpg

Cool!

I used a pneumatic puller a few times!

These days there are probably battery-powered ones. Was in a tool store recently and it was amazing what Ryobi has in those tools. Even a battery-powered grease gun.

But apparently Ridgid isn't into developing such a wide range of tools. In fact, they haven't even gotten into the 40v tools where the serious power is, like weed eaters and chain saws.

...it was amazing what Ryobi has in those tools....
Have you seen Milwaukee's 12V & 18V tools? This is JUST the 18s:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M18

june-2018-m18-family.jpg

Heat gun, 10-ton knockout, table & chop saws, magnetic drill, LED tower lights, jaws of life...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=John+Travolta+Grease+%22electrifying%22+YouTube&view=detail&mid=74CCC86D3D70AB6FE8AE74CCC86D3D70AB6FE8AE&FORM=VIRE

...it was amazing what Ryobi has in those tools....
Have you seen Milwaukee's 12V & 18V tools? This is JUST the 18s:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/M18

Heat gun, 10-ton knockout, table & chop saws, magnetic drill, LED tower lights, jaws of life...

Wow! I'm locked into Ridgid, but that is an amazing range of tools.

I talked with the manager of Direct Tools in Branson about the range of Ridgid vs Ryobi vs Milwaukee. His opinion was that Ryobi has the most diverse range, but that Milwaukee is coming on strong. However, Ridgid seems to be focused on the "construction" tools, like drills, saws, impacts, etc.

Ryobi has gone into the 40v tools as well, and my brother has a leaf blower and a weed eater from them. He's relegated his Stihl blower and weed eater to his cabin where he really can use the extra power of the gas engines, but he seems to be happy with the Ryobi tools for his house in town. And his wife uses the blower frequently to blow off the back porch - something she never did with the Stihl.

Battery-powered tools have really turned the corner. :nabble_smiley_good: