Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Apparently no one liked that idea? :nabble_smiley_what:

That's ok 'cause I haven't figured out how to truly embed a Onenote or Evernote document - yet. I can, as you can see, embed a spreadsheet. But I don't think a spreadsheet is the proper way to capture the info. So I'm still working on this.

As for Dad's truck, I didn't get much done today. I had hoped to get the transmission crossmember media blasted and both it and the front crossmember powder coated. But as I started blasting the tranny crossmember I discovered that there was a huge change in "paint" technology between the Bullnose era and 1990. I say that because the paint on the Bullnose parts I've blasted has come off easily, but the paint or powder coating on this thing is ON THERE! It was obvious that I was going to be blasting it for days just to get the stuff off.

I finally resorted to paint stripper and got quite a bit of it off. But then I learned that a lady from church is in the hospital so Janey and I went to visit her and I left a heavy, thick coating of stripper on the part. Perhaps tomorrow that will be ready.

Also, I got the wheel bearings and the Mile Marker parts in the mail, so I'm ready to get the wheels on there. :nabble_anim_jump:

Gary, I do think the embedded file is a neat feature. I don’t know that I would have the discipline to create and update a list like that, but currently I have no time to work on my trucks anyway. I may feel differently later when I actually have something to document.

That is an interesting observation regarding the paint on the cross member. Does it appear to be original?

Getting wheels back on Dad’s truck is a major milestone! Must feel good to be finishing off some of those big ticket items! :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I do think the embedded file is a neat feature. I don’t know that I would have the discipline to create and update a list like that, but currently I have no time to work on my trucks anyway. I may feel differently later when I actually have something to document.

That is an interesting observation regarding the paint on the cross member. Does it appear to be original?

Getting wheels back on Dad’s truck is a major milestone! Must feel good to be finishing off some of those big ticket items! :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, the paint or powder coating is original. It was probably 98% "there", but I wanted it to be 100% so started taking it off, not realizing how hard that would be.

We shall see if it comes off easier tomorrow after sitting overnight with stripper on it. I'm sure that will have dried, but I'll soften it up and scrape it off.

As for discipline to update the document, I expect the thread itself to be the daily update. But, I hope to use the document for major things - like getting the wheels on! Yes, I'm pushing for that as it is a major milestone. :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes, the paint or powder coating is original. It was probably 98% "there", but I wanted it to be 100% so started taking it off, not realizing how hard that would be.

We shall see if it comes off easier tomorrow after sitting overnight with stripper on it. I'm sure that will have dried, but I'll soften it up and scrape it off.

As for discipline to update the document, I expect the thread itself to be the daily update. But, I hope to use the document for major things - like getting the wheels on! Yes, I'm pushing for that as it is a major milestone. :nabble_anim_jump:

Actually, I just had another thought - links to relevant posts. This thread currently has 11 pages, but there are many other threads back on FTE that tell the tale of this truck. So why not put links to those threads, and more importantly directly to the relevant posts?

That's easily done in a document, and would be so valuable to bring everything together in one place.

And, once this method is perfected then anyone could have a summary document as the first post of their thread, and even if the thread runs to hundreds of pages have a fairly easy way to find things - other than searching.

They put that paint on thick, but it's crispy, so once it starts cracking & peeling, it comes off in flakes (but only after holding water & chemicals against the steel, rusting it). That's why I prefer spray-on rubberized undercoating on the frame & underbody.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1062690/thumbnail/06z24.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1062923/thumbnail/07hanger1.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1062924/thumbnail/07hanger2.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/927753/thumbnail/122undercoat.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1062926/thumbnail/07hanger4.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1066440/thumbnail/07trlrcvr4.jpg

No matter what coating you use, I highly recommend drilling the shackle brackets so they drain.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/983087/thumbnail/35bedrodv.jpg

Actually, I just had another thought - links to relevant posts. This thread currently has 11 pages, but there are many other threads back on FTE that tell the tale of this truck. So why not put links to those threads, and more importantly directly to the relevant posts?

That's easily done in a document, and would be so valuable to bring everything together in one place.

And, once this method is perfected then anyone could have a summary document as the first post of their thread, and even if the thread runs to hundreds of pages have a fairly easy way to find things - other than searching.

Gary, an index of sorts (especially with links) to major sections of a build thread would indeed be very helpful. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to fish around in long build threads looking for a particular post or picture.

Steve, that sounds like a good idea to drain water out of the spring hangers. What diameter do you use?

Gary, an index of sorts (especially with links) to major sections of a build thread would indeed be very helpful. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to fish around in long build threads looking for a particular post or picture.

Steve, that sounds like a good idea to drain water out of the spring hangers. What diameter do you use?

Steve - I like the idea of drilling the brackets, and will take a look to see if it is obvious where to drill. And, as Jonathan asked, how big of a hole.

And, the idea of undercoating is good for something like Big Blue, which is used for all sorts of things. But that's not my vision for Dad's truck. I'm looking for smooth, painted or powder coated surfaces.

Jonathan - I, too, have spent a lot of time finding things in threads, most of which are my own. Which is why I really like the idea of pulling the bits and pieces together in one place to explain what's been done at a summary level, but give links to the nitty gritty detail with all the banter. And, by "links" I don't mean a link to the thread itself, unless it is a short one where everything is relevant. Instead I mean "permalinks" to the first in a series of posts relating to the subject. And, if there's a considerable break in the discussion on that topic, then a link to the next relevant post.

Someone recently suggested that I write a book about Dad's truck's build. But I think this would be better than a book. It could tell the story at a Reader's Digest level, but then with the links would allow a person to go read the day-in and day-out conversation about what it took to get that particular part done.

Now to find the right media for doing it.... And, by "right" I mean one that other people could use to do the same. :nabble_anim_working:

What diameter do you use?
Probably 3/8-1/2". But you should probably look at the gravel building up on your frame & in your shackle brackets, and size the hole for that. If you have none, 1/4" hole might be big enough.

Steve - I'll check it out. Thanks.

All - Finally got the paint/powder off the E4OD crossmember. Wow, that was a battle. Anyway, got it and the front crossmember powder coated today:

Crossmembers_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.b0a0180fb132daaced2375f2a3fd2e8e.jpg

Here are the markings on the front crossmember - FABCO and Made In Canada. I don't see any Ford stamp or part numbers.

Front_Crossmember_Markings.thumb.jpg.9f7d20e1fbdce29b01eaafbe345cce83.jpg

And here are the markings on the E4OD crossmember.

Transmission_Crossmember_Markings.thumb.jpg.6beb415dc67e3343c141e735e56bd508.jpg

But, I took a look this afternoon and I may not have the right tie rods/ends. So, before I paint them I need to figure out what I have vs what I need, and re-order if I have some of the wrong parts.

Then I can paint the sway bar and the tie rods and get all that assembled. Plus put the wheel bearings in and the hub locks, and have a roller!

Steve - I'll check it out. Thanks.

All - Finally got the paint/powder off the E4OD crossmember. Wow, that was a battle. Anyway, got it and the front crossmember powder coated today:

Here are the markings on the front crossmember - FABCO and Made In Canada. I don't see any Ford stamp or part numbers.

And here are the markings on the E4OD crossmember.

But, I took a look this afternoon and I may not have the right tie rods/ends. So, before I paint them I need to figure out what I have vs what I need, and re-order if I have some of the wrong parts.

Then I can paint the sway bar and the tie rods and get all that assembled. Plus put the wheel bearings in and the hub locks, and have a roller!

Those look great!