Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

I think it looks great Gary!

Amazing, the amount of time and care you put into this.

Do you have plastic lined sockets or something?

I'd like to know how many pounds of powder you go through when you're finally finished.

Jim - I do have plastic-lined sockets, but they are up with my body man, John. I need to get them back, but they didn't really work all that well anyway. So I've tried several approaches. What seems to work fairly well is to put a couple of turns of tape on and use a slightly-bigger socket. Light a metric for SAE or vice versa.

But it is tedious. For instance, you want to make sure the tape doesn't get under the head or then you have to get the scalpel out.

However, just like the cost I'm not keeping track of the powder. But I go through lots of it. And blasting media. And cans of O'Reilly's brake cleaner. And.....

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim - I do have plastic-lined sockets, but they are up with my body man, John. I need to get them back, but they didn't really work all that well anyway. So I've tried several approaches. What seems to work fairly well is to put a couple of turns of tape on and use a slightly-bigger socket. Light a metric for SAE or vice versa.

But it is tedious. For instance, you want to make sure the tape doesn't get under the head or then you have to get the scalpel out.

However, just like the cost I'm not keeping track of the powder. But I go through lots of it. And blasting media. And cans of O'Reilly's brake cleaner. And.....

I like it as is. The contrast looks good and will break it up when people are ohhing and ahhing at your truck!

what do you think about having plated washers showing?
I think they'll rust quickly, and ruin the effect you're aiming for. I also agree that tightening down powdered fasteners will scrape & chip the powder, leading to rust, and loss of clamping force/loose fasteners. I'd blast each piece, assemble all the metal-to-metal pieces (arm, nuts, bolts, shock bracket), and THEN powder the tightened assembly.

what do you think about having plated washers showing?
I think they'll rust quickly, and ruin the effect you're aiming for. I also agree that tightening down powdered fasteners will scrape & chip the powder, leading to rust, and loss of clamping force/loose fasteners. I'd blast each piece, assemble all the metal-to-metal pieces (arm, nuts, bolts, shock bracket), and THEN powder the tightened assembly.

If those washers will rust, what about stainless?

If those washers will rust, what about stainless?

Thanks, guys. I don't think those cad-plated washers will rust quickly at all, but could swap them for stainless.

And while I agree that powder coating the whole assembly would solve the problem, that isn't practical on many of the things on the truck. But it would have worked on the radius arms, so I'll keep that in mind as I move forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. I don't think those cad-plated washers will rust quickly at all, but could swap them for stainless.

And while I agree that powder coating the whole assembly would solve the problem, that isn't practical on many of the things on the truck. But it would have worked on the radius arms, so I'll keep that in mind as I move forward.

Got a bit done today, but came up with two questions:

• Front Axle Bushings: I started a thread asking for help on this since I didn't figure many would see the question here

• Wheel Bearings: I didn't start a thread on this, but the question is whether y'all think I should replace the front wheel bearings and races? They look perfect, and I know that Dad would have put them back after cleaning and packing them. On the other hand, while I'm in there.....

And on to the progress - I replaced the plated washers with stainless ones on the radius arms. Plus I started cleaning the front hubs, and ran into the question re wheel bearings. :nabble_anim_confused:

• Front Axle Bushings: I started a thread asking for help on this since I didn't figure many would see the question here

• Wheel Bearings: I didn't start a thread on this, but the question is whether y'all think I should replace the front wheel bearings and races? They look perfect, and I know that Dad would have put them back after cleaning and packing them. On the other hand, while I'm in there.....

And on to the progress - I replaced the plated washers with stainless ones on the radius arms. Plus I started cleaning the front hubs, and ran into the question re wheel bearings. :nabble_anim_confused:

My thoughts are since you're already in there then why not? They're not that expensive and it's really not much if any work to just put new back in.

FWIW, my thoughts when I have this question usually depends on three factors. How much time I have to put it back together, i.e., do I need the vehicle operational soon? How much money does it cost for the possible preventative problem, i.e. will my wife let me buy it now? How difficult is it to tear down, and do I mind the particular task if they were to need changing soon?

How old are the bearings? How many miles do they have on them?

I saw the question on your bushings. I have no experience to comment on it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

William

FWIW, my thoughts when I have this question usually depends on three factors. How much time I have to put it back together, i.e., do I need the vehicle operational soon? How much money does it cost for the possible preventative problem, i.e. will my wife let me buy it now? How difficult is it to tear down, and do I mind the particular task if they were to need changing soon?

How old are the bearings? How many miles do they have on them?

I saw the question on your bushings. I have no experience to comment on it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

William

Thanks for the replies. It really isn't the cost. I'm WAY too far in on this to balk at new bearings. It is more the thought that these bearings, which are probably the original ones, must be good if they've made it this far - maybe 150K miles.

I've seen/heard people complain about cheap bearings today, so was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding replacing what appear to be good bearings with potentially inferior ones.

Thanks for the replies. It really isn't the cost. I'm WAY too far in on this to balk at new bearings. It is more the thought that these bearings, which are probably the original ones, must be good if they've made it this far - maybe 150K miles.

I've seen/heard people complain about cheap bearings today, so was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were regarding replacing what appear to be good bearings with potentially inferior ones.

Personally I'd reuse the bearings and races if they look good. I don't really have any strong reason why though. So take it for what it's worth.