Bullnose Forums

Ready To Decloak? (Make us visible in the navigation menu?)

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offend? I think you may have solved the problem I've been struggling with

for some time!

I went through these exact pains, Gary.

Sometime around Y2k I purchased 3 .lt domain names from the registrar at Kaunas Technical University on Kaunas, LT.

I have:

tubutis.lt

tubutis-family.lt

tubutisfamily.lt

I did it that way because they didn't allow surnames as domain names at the time, so I got the two *family domain names and added the lastname.lt sometime later.

I've had them all working to various degrees at one time or another but you have to remember that this was pre-WordPress, something around the HTML v2.0 to 3.2 days.

I had a friend who was a web site designer finally make some graphics for me but figuring out the organization & navigation was challenging. I was setting up for each of us a web site, e.g. http://susan.tubutis.lt with anSMTP e-mail address of, say, susan@tubutis.lt.

I never really implemented any of it in a full-time fashion, I do that stuff for a living in a production fashion and don't want to mess with it when I get home - so I never really pursued who would host my DNS & SMTP nevermind the physical site hosting (virtual machines hadn't arrived yet, lots of heavy iron to run that stuff and so I never did it).

Anyhow, I'm rambling again... but I know your pain. ;)

Chris - I understand about the domain names. I've been torn as to how to use this one.

Initially this site was for whatever I wanted to write about. But time seems to have determined that because there are currently 371 pages, and of those 340 are about Bullnose trucks. So, if 90+% of the content is about these trucks I guess I should realize that I'm going to document them and make access to that information easier.

As you can see, I've already made a change where all of the non-Bullnose stuff is under About Me/Contact Me. Now I need to make this forum both visible and the top page so that's where you go when you come into the Garagemahal, and that's easily done. And the final change will be to out-dent or promote the topics like Brakes .... Underhood so they show in the navigation menu.

But still we have someone voting not to go live. Mike - Was/is that you? If so, will these changes sway your vote?

Chris - I understand about the domain names. I've been torn as to how to use this one.

Initially this site was for whatever I wanted to write about. But time seems to have determined that because there are currently 371 pages, and of those 340 are about Bullnose trucks. So, if 90+% of the content is about these trucks I guess I should realize that I'm going to document them and make access to that information easier.

As you can see, I've already made a change where all of the non-Bullnose stuff is under About Me/Contact Me. Now I need to make this forum both visible and the top page so that's where you go when you come into the Garagemahal, and that's easily done. And the final change will be to out-dent or promote the topics like Brakes .... Underhood so they show in the navigation menu.

But still we have someone voting not to go live. Mike - Was/is that you? If so, will these changes sway your vote?

Ok, I've done the majority of the editing and promoting to get the navigation menu as discussed. All that is left, and I'm awaiting a few more votes, is to move the forum into the "home" position and make it visible in the nav menu. That takes a couple of clicks and we are live. Oh yes, and making the forum readable w/o registering.

But we have one hold-out on going live, so.....

Ok, I've done the majority of the editing and promoting to get the navigation menu as discussed. All that is left, and I'm awaiting a few more votes, is to move the forum into the "home" position and make it visible in the nav menu. That takes a couple of clicks and we are live. Oh yes, and making the forum readable w/o registering.

But we have one hold-out on going live, so.....

Looks great!

I vote that you decloak and that non-members be able to read, but not participate.

Thanks, guys. You may have missed the "poll" at the top of this thread. As I write there are 5 votes to go live and 1 vote not to. But, even as an admin I can't tell who voted nor what way they voted. So, I was hoping that the work that's been done to the nav menu would sway the nay-sayer, and I have gone ahead and taken us live. AKA decloaked, meaning turned the cloaking device off. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Please let me know of any anomalies. I know that the links in emails were bad for a few minutes, but I think that's been fixed.