Bullnose Forums

Steering column tilt mechanism clip needed

Hi all!

Ive been scrounging the local wrecking yards and cant find what im looking for.

Its the two clips that hold the tilt lever in place. (See photo).

They used these clips from the 60’s all the way up to 86. Then they changed the tilt design.

I need 2. But would like to find 4. I have a 67 Cougar that needs one as well. Which will leave me with a spare. Just in case.

CBFC4568-4D1C-4C08-9FA8-0CC83E301C83.jpeg.361c2d7e4940e4428f9b7ea859800c3c.jpeg

Is it 3E716 in this illustration from page Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns and the Illustrations tab? If not, what # is it? I should be able to find the full part number and you may be able to find a source.

3D544 is the part i need the clips for.

the part shown in the second photo. Looks like a wobbly U shape is held in place with these clips.

the part shown in the second photo. Looks like a wobbly U shape is held in place with these clips.

D1AZ-3E543-B - Last published list price $10.54 each.

Obsolete from Ford, but lotsa dealers still show them on hand. Google pictures look a bit different, but I'm pretty sure that's it...

The part number shows that part was used starting in 1971 on cars and trucks. (The D means 70's, the 1 means 1970 +1, and the A means the Ford line of cars - not trucks, not Pintos, not Merc's, just the large Fords.)

Here's what the master parts catalogs show for usage:

3D544 LEVER (STEERING COLUMN RELEASE)

73/78 A - - w/tilt wheel

73 F - - w/tilt wheel

76/ G - - w/tilt wheel

74/ S - - w/tilt wheel

78/ U - - w/tilt wheel

78/ EI00/350 - - w/tilt wheel

FI00/350 - - w/tilt wheel

80/ E-F-U100/350,F(Super Duty)

89 F53 — Stripped Chassis

And here's how to translate the A and F and G, etc:

VEHICLES and RELATED CATALOG CODES CATALOG CODES and RELATED VEHICLES

Bronco U A Ford

Fairmont P B Torino, LTD II

Fiesta X F Mustang

Ford A G Granada

Granada G L Pinto

LTD II B P Maverick

Maverick P P Fairmont

Mustang F S Thunderbird

Pinto L U Bronco

Thunderbird S X Fiesta

Torino B

So, that might help you find a used part. But, for finding what the part number for the clip is, I'm stuck. As you've noticed, the illustration doesn't appear to show it. Would it help if I posted the illustrations for those other applications? Perhaps one of them shows it?

The part number shows that part was used starting in 1971 on cars and trucks. (The D means 70's, the 1 means 1970 +1, and the A means the Ford line of cars - not trucks, not Pintos, not Merc's, just the large Fords.)

Here's what the master parts catalogs show for usage:

3D544 LEVER (STEERING COLUMN RELEASE)

73/78 A - - w/tilt wheel

73 F - - w/tilt wheel

76/ G - - w/tilt wheel

74/ S - - w/tilt wheel

78/ U - - w/tilt wheel

78/ EI00/350 - - w/tilt wheel

FI00/350 - - w/tilt wheel

80/ E-F-U100/350,F(Super Duty)

89 F53 — Stripped Chassis

And here's how to translate the A and F and G, etc:

VEHICLES and RELATED CATALOG CODES CATALOG CODES and RELATED VEHICLES

Bronco U A Ford

Fairmont P B Torino, LTD II

Fiesta X F Mustang

Ford A G Granada

Granada G L Pinto

LTD II B P Maverick

Maverick P P Fairmont

Mustang F S Thunderbird

Pinto L U Bronco

Thunderbird S X Fiesta

Torino B

So, that might help you find a used part. But, for finding what the part number for the clip is, I'm stuck. As you've noticed, the illustration doesn't appear to show it. Would it help if I posted the illustrations for those other applications? Perhaps one of them shows it?

No Gary. I don't think it's in the illustration. Look at the '73-'79 car catalog - it's there and plain as day... Remember my repeated comments on catalog errors/omissions?? The catalogs are helpful, NOT a bible.

D1AZ-3E543-B - Last published list price $10.54 each.

Obsolete from Ford, but lotsa dealers still show them on hand. Google pictures look a bit different, but I'm pretty sure that's it...

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party. But the applications for 3D544 should also be for 3E543. I think.