Bullnose Forums

Battery / Starter Cable Routing

I took pictures of all this stuff as reference before I pulled my 302. The starter cable did have a split loom on it from the factory, and it had just the one mounting clamp on the engine. See the in the stud in the block below...the ground from the battery and frame goes on first, then a nut, then the clamp for the starter cable, and then another nut. That was it on the 302.

image3.jpeg.0c7c222d49b538fbff95d7180b25497b.jpeg

I replaced all of these cables, and bought new wire loom as well. I think it was 3/8" wire loom as it fit fairly snug on the cable.

Do you happen to have those Motorcraft numbers by chance? If you have them for all three cables that would be good. I may replace all of them if available.

By the way what is the U refer to in the parts diagrams. F truck E econoline and U utility maybe?

Yes, as Jim said, U is Bronco. And F is the fullsized pickup and E is the Econoline vans.

As for the #'s, have you looked at the page I mentioned in:

And, I forgot to say that I put a higher-resolution copy of that illustration on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Battery Cables.

Do you happen to have those Motorcraft numbers by chance? If you have them for all three cables that would be good. I may replace all of them if available.

By the way what is the U refer to in the parts diagrams. F truck E econoline and U utility maybe?

Yes, as Jim said, U is Bronco. And F is the fullsized pickup and E is the Econoline vans.

As for the #'s, have you looked at the page I mentioned in:

And, I forgot to say that I put a higher-resolution copy of that illustration on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Battery Cables.

If this is what your referring to Gary then yes but did not think those where the Motorcraft numbers that Jim was referring to but then again I have been mistaken before and very well could be now. Those are the three I came up with that should be the ones I need. What do the stars represent next to the numbers? Do the WC #s represent Motorcraft?

Battery_to_Starter_Relay.thumb.jpg.6c8c2542e22eea942e8be4e8285c6afa.jpg

Relay_to_Starter_-_Copy.thumb.jpg.165be6ab1f743bea464edb77e48f8651.jpg

Battery_to_Ground.thumb.jpg.aa5419f5861ba4cb19aba6114c2c6e10.jpg

If this is what your referring to Gary then yes but did not think those where the Motorcraft numbers that Jim was referring to but then again I have been mistaken before and very well could be now. Those are the three I came up with that should be the ones I need. What do the stars represent next to the numbers? Do the WC #s represent Motorcraft?

Sorry, I assumed you knew that the * indicates what follows is a Motorcraft part #. But you had no way of knowing that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, you have it figured out! :nabble_anim_claps:

(And, you figured out how to post snippets from the documentation. Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:)

Sorry, I assumed you knew that the * indicates what follows is a Motorcraft part #. But you had no way of knowing that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, you have it figured out! :nabble_anim_claps:

(And, you figured out how to post snippets from the documentation. Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:)

Now taking those numbers and searching I have found tons of cables but none that match those numbers. Would be nice if you could just purchase these type items even if they are at a higher price but guess I may have to look at building some if I want them somewhat to match what was there originally. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Now taking those numbers and searching I have found tons of cables but none that match those numbers. Would be nice if you could just purchase these type items even if they are at a higher price but guess I may have to look at building some if I want them somewhat to match what was there originally. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I didn't search for them, but have done a lot of part number searching. Some people don't put the "-" in, and some do. And, I force Google to give me "verbatim" results, meaning that it has to have that # in it rather than something close.

Then, when I get to a @#$%^&* site that just takes you to a page with hundreds of other #'s, I hit Control-F and search on that page for the number.

Hope that helps.

I had all of mine made up locally, but I believe LMC sells replacement cables.

FuzzFace's looks good and protects the cables from heat, but Rembrandt's truck shows how the cables were originally mounted.

On the negative battery cable I only see one place for a ground strap to possibly attach myself on my truck. The second one or the lower one shows mounting into the frame well I looked on my truck and there is no hole there for it and never was obviously. Looking at Rembrandt's picture it does not appear his had that second ground strap either. I can't tell in the picture if the one above is there on not. I do have a threaded hole about the same location as FuzzFace2 shows with nothing in it.

Looking at Rembrandt's picture it does not appear his had that second ground strap either. I can't tell in the picture if the one above is there on not.

It's there, but you can't see it in my picture, sorry. There is a ground lug on the frame hidden behind the big starter cable in my picture. The factory cable is one piece, and runs from the battery to the lug on the engine. There is a lug on that cable that mounts on the frame. When I replaced mine, I simply used 2 cables...one long one from the battery to the frame, and then a short one from the frame to the block.