Bullnose Forums

Where to source interior plastics

Greg 85

I ordered 4 cans of SEM regartta blue , the first can i used wasnt the best color match, the second was great .looks so good on the dash , that the door cards look really bad . Has anyone covered their plastic door card with vinyl or leather ? .Cheers

How about plastic trim parts? Is that a salvage yard source any more? Long ago (1980-1990) I used to hit a nearby salvage yard for small parts - it was a lot of fun trudging thru the (toxic) glop and finding gems. Those have since closed down in hte NJ/NY area. :^/

How about plastic trim parts? Is that a salvage yard source any more? Long ago (1980-1990) I used to hit a nearby salvage yard for small parts - it was a lot of fun trudging thru the (toxic) glop and finding gems. Those have since closed down in hte NJ/NY area. :^/

All I know is to get them at the salvage. But maybe someone else has other sources?

• 1 year later...

All I know is to get them at the salvage. But maybe someone else has other sources?

Actually one of the best tips i have is brillo pads. Soapy for the grime and fair cutting to remove the dead plastic. Wash thoroughly and dry and the sem products do the rest. Unfortunately not much truly bonds to this plastic.

I did attempt to vinyl wrap a door panel once. Very frustrating with all of the molded contours. B pillar panels i have never found new.

Actually one of the best tips i have is brillo pads. Soapy for the grime and fair cutting to remove the dead plastic. Wash thoroughly and dry and the sem products do the rest. Unfortunately not much truly bonds to this plastic.

I did attempt to vinyl wrap a door panel once. Very frustrating with all of the molded contours. B pillar panels i have never found new.

I was hoping to paint or cover mine not sure how this will go now, did you use that special plastic primer stuff ? I have even thought that moulding some with fiberglass , could be an option ., I haven't done any work on my truck for a while, it's been reliable

! . cheers Vaughn.

Haven't tried Brillo pads, but have used 60 grit wet or dry - wet. You need the wet to carry off the dead stuff you remove and to keep from clogging the sandpaper.

But you wind up with a smooth piece of plastic, so you need to put some texture back on. I haven't tried it, but I've read good things about SEM texture coating.