Bullnose Forums

So I did a thing...

My first car project was a 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan. It was a somewhat eclectic mix when we got it, with a variety of colors of paint, including big patches of primer. It also had wheels off a '30s Ford, which look significantly different than the '29 wheels. So it was pretty recognizable:

Model_A.jpg.b6797c65ce53f567cd1767d24c3eceff.jpg

One year for Christmas my parents gave me this painting, which was done on a well-weathered piece of wood:

DSC_0358.jpg.0aa3d8cb97453aee568f78d93d43d152.jpg

It was obvious to me that this was a picture of my car (but mine didn't have the broken glass or ripped headliner...), but eventually I noticed the license plate, "RGW 29" (my initials and the year of the car). It's about 40 year later and I still have this painting on my wall! Your dad'll love that!

Unfortunately I don't have the car anymore. I sold it about 20 years ago to make room in my garage, budget and life for the '75 Jeep CJ5 that had to go to make room for the '71 Bronco I currently have. But the A turned out pretty good!

Model_A_Restored.jpg.9b676208c4f2f443f10da0f27afbb227.jpg

My first car project was a 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan. It was a somewhat eclectic mix when we got it, with a variety of colors of paint, including big patches of primer. It also had wheels off a '30s Ford, which look significantly different than the '29 wheels. So it was pretty recognizable:

One year for Christmas my parents gave me this painting, which was done on a well-weathered piece of wood:

It was obvious to me that this was a picture of my car (but mine didn't have the broken glass or ripped headliner...), but eventually I noticed the license plate, "RGW 29" (my initials and the year of the car). It's about 40 year later and I still have this painting on my wall! Your dad'll love that!

Unfortunately I don't have the car anymore. I sold it about 20 years ago to make room in my garage, budget and life for the '75 Jeep CJ5 that had to go to make room for the '71 Bronco I currently have. But the A turned out pretty good!

That is absolutely amazing!

Bob - The painting is awesome! And the car turned out great as well. :nabble_anim_claps:

Bob - The painting is awesome! And the car turned out great as well. :nabble_anim_claps:

Yeah, I was really excited to get that painting. And especially now that I don't have the car it's gear to have the painting (close to it in the same room is a framed picture of the finished car).

And while I miss my old CJ5, and my '85 F-250, and my '95 F-150, it's the Model A that I miss the most. I wish I could've kept it. But I had 3 and 4 year old kids at the time and the car took too much space, money and time to keep running. And if we were going to the Dairy Queen on a sunny day everyone would prefer to go in the CJ5 with the top off. So I sold the A and bought the slide-in camper that we used on family vacations for the next 20 years. It was a good trade (but i still miss the A).

Yeah, I was really excited to get that painting. And especially now that I don't have the car it's gear to have the painting (close to it in the same room is a framed picture of the finished car).

And while I miss my old CJ5, and my '85 F-250, and my '95 F-150, it's the Model A that I miss the most. I wish I could've kept it. But I had 3 and 4 year old kids at the time and the car took too much space, money and time to keep running. And if we were going to the Dairy Queen on a sunny day everyone would prefer to go in the CJ5 with the top off. So I sold the A and bought the slide-in camper that we used on family vacations for the next 20 years. It was a good trade (but i still miss the A).

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/cedar-ridge-1931-ford-tudor-sedan/7103225948.html

Close to yours Bob.

Yep, pretty close. As short as the Model A production was (LATE '27 - '31, really just '28 - '31), there was a pretty significant design change between '29 and '30, with the later ones getting a smooth transition at the sides of the cowl, different shaped headlights, and smaller (19" vs 21") wheels with larger hub caps. Yeah, I know, not THAT significant, but I always liked the "less modern" looking '28 - '29 (not that I'm biased :nabble_smiley_wink:)

And really, the "modernness" of a Model A really is either in a sweet spot or really not in a sweet spot, depending on what you want. The pedals are the same as on a modern car with a manual trans, it's a floor mounted "H" pattern shifter, it'll cruise at 50 mph and top out around 70 (but I wouldn't want to stop it from 70 :nabble_smiley_scared:). Still, it's a very old looking vehicle that drives surprisingly new.

But as that, to me it was surprisingly new. Especially being a closed cab (which made it less fun for my wife and kids to ride to the Dairy Queen in) it just wasn't special enough (I know, I should read my own screen name). But if I was to ever "replace" it, it wouldn't be with another Model A, and certainly not a sedan. A Model T touring car would be cool. That's my dream antique car. Or a '40s vintage Jeep which would be part antique car, part trail vehicle. Even more modern than a Model A (although won't go as fast), but with other things in its favor.