Bullnose Forums

New Guy from VA with an '85

Greg 85

385_Ford_LI_(2).jpg.2b5899f0fd417b0b4a55b23e51551649.jpg

Hello, my name is Greg and I am in Virginia, I have a 1985 Ford F150 Explorer with a 5.0L EFI/AOD 2WD longbed. All original except for paint color and stereo. This is my first of two Ford trucks. I bought this truck as a non running project because the body and interior were immaculate for its age. They previous owner had done a lot of work on the body and interior but the engine and drivetrain left a lot to be desired. I towed the truck home and started work on the engine, turned over and had spark but no fuel. Traced it back to the relay. Replaced relay and connector, started, ran like crap but ran. Ended up changing the idle air solenoid and fuel pressure regulator. Ran good but wouldn't shift correctly, adjusted the TV cable and tore down the tailshaft and cleaned reassembled the governor and still wouldn't shift right. Changed the air filter and now shifts fine (go figure). Drove the truck around for two months and then started acting like it was starving for fuel. Ended up acting like HP fuel pump wasn't putting out, Replaced along with new fuel filter. No change, so I dropped both tanks and replaced with new including senders and pumps/strainers. Startes and runs but dies after about 20 mins of running. Still have spark, no fuel. Come to find out it had a intermmitten short, when I would check for power it was there but would cut out while running. Bought a Chiltons magazine, no diagram for 85 fuel injected, traced wires best I could, replaced inertia switch just in case, no change. Replaced every ground wire, strap and cable, no change. Pulled every connector and cleaned corrosion off, no change. I bypassed the factory harness with a makeshift power source and switch to the HP fuel pump(Temporary for testing), runs like a champ, drives like it should. Any advice would be helpful!

Welcome, Greg! :nabble_anim_handshake:

What part of VA? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I just had a city.

And, how 'bout creating a signature to describe your truck and include your name? Instructions on how to do that are in Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.

As for your truck, all the wiring diagrams are in the 1985 Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, aka EVTM. It is in the menu at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM. Those are Ford's schematics and are broken down by system so are both accurate awa very helpful.

But for troubleshooting you'll want to start a thread about your truck in the main section as you'll get a lot more help there than here in the New Members section. (The way the forum works is rather odd and most people aren't subscribed to everything and, therefore, don't get notified when there are new posts. So they just troll the main section.)

So post about your truck in the main section and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help. But take a look at the EVTM and you may spot something. :nabble_smiley_wink:

What part of VA? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I just had a city.

And, how 'bout creating a signature to describe your truck and include your name? Instructions on how to do that are in Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's.

As for your truck, all the wiring diagrams are in the 1985 Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, aka EVTM. It is in the menu at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM. Those are Ford's schematics and are broken down by system so are both accurate awa very helpful.

But for troubleshooting you'll want to start a thread about your truck in the main section as you'll get a lot more help there than here in the New Members section. (The way the forum works is rather odd and most people aren't subscribed to everything and, therefore, don't get notified when there are new posts. So they just troll the main section.)

So post about your truck in the main section and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help. But take a look at the EVTM and you may spot something. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Welcome, Greg! :nabble_anim_claps:

Welcome Greg!

I have an ’85 Black Bronco that looked quite similar to your truck before I butchered it up 🙃.

I will be watching your thread for your progress. I don’t have much to offer by way of help given your opening thread is way more complicated than anything I’ve come across yet! However, I will vouch for the EVTM that Gary mentioned. It is priceless!!

Good luck! I look forward to your progress and finding your gremlins.

-Jamie

As soon as I figure out how to the signature, I will do and post this in the main section. As far as where I am from, Originally, El Reno, Ok currently New Kent, VA

As soon as I figure out how to the signature, I will do and post this in the main section. As far as where I am from, Originally, El Reno, Ok currently New Kent, VA

You are now on the map. As for El Reno, that's not far from me. I'm just north of Tulsa in Skiatook.

You are now on the map. As for El Reno, that's not far from me. I'm just north of Tulsa in Skiatook.

Awesome thank you! I have been to just about every town in Oklahoma except Skiatook, or at least I don't remember going there. But maybe if the Ford truck shows continue, I may end up coming out there!

Awesome thank you! I have been to just about every town in Oklahoma except Skiatook, or at least I don't remember going there. But maybe if the Ford truck shows continue, I may end up coming out there!

I hope to do the truck show this year. If so, it'll be Sept 19th. I have the place reserved, but who knows what is going to happen. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I hope to do the truck show this year. If so, it'll be Sept 19th. I have the place reserved, but who knows what is going to happen. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Unfortunately it won't be this year as my daughter is getting married on Sept 19 as long as we make it through the 'rona scare! But maybe next year!:nabble_smiley_wink: