Bullnose Forums

Warning Buzzer

I put the horn pad in Big Blue today, and all the while that buzzer was going off. It was obnoxious. So, is that because the seat belt is disconnected? The headlights nor key are on. :nabble_anim_confused:

When did the buzzer start going off? As soon as you hooked up the battery or something else?

With the battery connected it goes on as soon as I open the door and stays on until I close the door. With no key in the ignition.

With it being tied to the door you can rule out the seatbelt. You could disconnect the large steering column connector and see if it stops. If it's the key-on indicator that is stuck that should disconnect the ground circuit.

With it being tied to the door you can rule out the seatbelt. You could disconnect the large steering column connector and see if it stops. If it's the key-on indicator that is stuck that should disconnect the ground circuit.

I think the circuit is working properly. Page 90 of the 1985 EVTM says:

KEY WARNING

HOW THE CIRCUIT WORKS

Voltage is applied at all times through Fuse 8 to this circuit. The Key Warning Switch and other components on this circuit are connected to the Front Door Jamb Switches.

When the LH Front Door Jamb Switch is opened, voltage is available to turn on the Key Warning Buzzer.

That seems to say it should buzz with the door open. And that's the way I remember it working. Yes? No?

I think the circuit is working properly. Page 90 of the 1985 EVTM says:

KEY WARNING

HOW THE CIRCUIT WORKS

Voltage is applied at all times through Fuse 8 to this circuit. The Key Warning Switch and other components on this circuit are connected to the Front Door Jamb Switches.

When the LH Front Door Jamb Switch is opened, voltage is available to turn on the Key Warning Buzzer.

That seems to say it should buzz with the door open. And that's the way I remember it working. Yes? No?

Didn't you say the key wasn't in the ignition though? Meaning I thought the key being in there grounded it.

Didn't you say the key wasn't in the ignition though? Meaning I thought the key being in there grounded it.

Just ran out to the shop to check since it's not one of those things I paid much attention to rhyme or reason of before I took the truck down a year ago. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Here is what I found:

1. Seatbelt unhooked. Key turn to run. BUZZER

2. Seatbelt hooked. Key turn to run. NO buzzer

3. Door open. Key off in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

4. Door open. Key not in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

I couldn't make the buzzer go off based on the key state only so with mine not going off and yours always going off, we need a third person to chime in here :nabble_smiley_happy:

It should definitely go off sometime (unlike mine) but I wouldn't expect it to go off even with the key not in there (like yours).

Just ran out to the shop to check since it's not one of those things I paid much attention to rhyme or reason of before I took the truck down a year ago. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Here is what I found:

1. Seatbelt unhooked. Key turn to run. BUZZER

2. Seatbelt hooked. Key turn to run. NO buzzer

3. Door open. Key off in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

4. Door open. Key not in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

I couldn't make the buzzer go off based on the key state only so with mine not going off and yours always going off, we need a third person to chime in here :nabble_smiley_happy:

It should definitely go off sometime (unlike mine) but I wouldn't expect it to go off even with the key not in there (like yours).

Do you mean buzz in. (I see what you did there. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I'll check that switch.......

Ah, a missed opportunity!! Well played.

I was cracking up when doing the test on my truck in that neither of ours seem to be working like expected.

Well, the plot just thickened. My truck does NOT have the BK/PK wire in the steering column harness. And yet the C305A jumper that I took out of it, the one that goes to the cruise control but was butchered, does have it.

So, the steering column I put in is from a truck before that buzzer came on the scene. And the C305A jumper I put in may have as well. :nabble_smiley_oh:

So, what's causing the buzzer to go on when the door is opened? And, depending on the answer to that question, do I care to fix it? :nabble_anim_confused:

I do NOT want to change out the steering column. :nabble_smiley_cry: