Bullnose Forums

Factory AC Orifice Tube and which oil to use

Gentlemen,

I'm getting pretty close to having all of the required factory AC parts for the my truck. I've been going through parts diagrams and listings, etc and I noticed on LMC's page that there are two different orifice tubes (Red, and Blue). So blue for 1980-1996, and red for 1987-1996. What is the difference between the two tubes/orifices?

AC_Orifice_Tubes.jpg.b2a2e5ecf1be921482d002931f25c55b.jpg

Is 134a the refrigerant of choice these days? The trucks originally had R12 correct?

Final question is the oil. What brand/type oil will be required if starting with a clean/new/dry system?

Well done, David! :nabble_anim_claps:

FYI, the guy that knows what he's talking about in there, Matt/Archion, is related to someone on here. His last name is Vose, and is the son of none other than Bill/85lebaront2.

Janey and I met Matt when we drove Dad's truck back to Delawhere to deliver furniture - before I pulled it down for the restification. I had a spare engine analyzer and Bill had a spare DS-II test kit, so we swapped via Matt.

Well done, David! :nabble_anim_claps:

FYI, the guy that knows what he's talking about in there, Matt/Archion, is related to someone on here. His last name is Vose, and is the son of none other than Bill/85lebaront2.

Janey and I met Matt when we drove Dad's truck back to Delawhere to deliver furniture - before I pulled it down for the restification. I had a spare engine analyzer and Bill had a spare DS-II test kit, so we swapped via Matt.

This is super helpful! I have a bunch of questions, if this is the wrong place please let me know!

I ordered a R12-R134a conversion kit for the Bronco. It looks like I have everything in place that should work.

https://www.sherco-auto.com/1980-to-current-ford-cars-pick-ups-and-vans-single-application-97-coverage-retrofit-kits-each.html

I have a compressor pulled from the breakers so I don't if that works but will install it.

Should I replace the accumulator as it has not been used forever?

Any recommendations about what else may need to be replaced/checked?

Any recommendation on if the system needs to be flushed and if so how?

Can I charge the system at home myself? - I understand this will require some tools I don't have yet..

This is super helpful! I have a bunch of questions, if this is the wrong place please let me know!

I ordered a R12-R134a conversion kit for the Bronco. It looks like I have everything in place that should work.

https://www.sherco-auto.com/1980-to-current-ford-cars-pick-ups-and-vans-single-application-97-coverage-retrofit-kits-each.html

I have a compressor pulled from the breakers so I don't if that works but will install it.

Should I replace the accumulator as it has not been used forever?

Any recommendations about what else may need to be replaced/checked?

Any recommendation on if the system needs to be flushed and if so how?

Can I charge the system at home myself? - I understand this will require some tools I don't have yet..

Cory, IIRC I used the oil recommended by the compressor manufacturer.

GSMBlue, I would replace the accumulator.

I cleaned mine out with isopropyl alcohol and compressed air.

I would replace the o-rings.

You’ll need R134 adapters if you don’t have them already.

I do mine at home. Gauges from HFT, I put a valve on the yellow service port.

You can use a bucket of warm, not hot water to help get the refrigerant in.

I’ve found that if you put the right amount (pounds) in, the pressure should be in the range.

Edit: Thanks David, good stuff! Thanks Bill, you had something to do with that!

Cory, IIRC I used the oil recommended by the compressor manufacturer.

GSMBlue, I would replace the accumulator.

I cleaned mine out with isopropyl alcohol and compressed air.

I would replace the o-rings.

You’ll need R134 adapters if you don’t have them already.

I do mine at home. Gauges from HFT, I put a valve on the yellow service port.

You can use a bucket of warm, not hot water to help get the refrigerant in.

I’ve found that if you put the right amount (pounds) in, the pressure should be in the range.

Edit: Thanks David, good stuff! Thanks Bill, you had something to do with that!

grumpin - Thanks!

isopropyl and compressed air - check!

new o-rings - check!

R134 adapters - check!

HFT gauges - I know where to get them - check!

Is this the right accumulator??

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-33189-Accumulator/dp/B000CNMXTQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Four+Seasons+33189+Accumulator&qid=1584550700&sr=8-1

gonna chance this old compressor from the scrap yard... need to install ( I think I have the bracket) and get a belt...

so exciting :)

grumpin - Thanks!

isopropyl and compressed air - check!

new o-rings - check!

R134 adapters - check!

HFT gauges - I know where to get them - check!

Is this the right accumulator??

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-33189-Accumulator/dp/B000CNMXTQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Four+Seasons+33189+Accumulator&qid=1584550700&sr=8-1

gonna chance this old compressor from the scrap yard... need to install ( I think I have the bracket) and get a belt...

so exciting :)

$35 from the breakers! The AC compressor, accumulator, the 2 hoses i need and the front mounting bracket!!

And a battery tray for good measure!

Did someone need the accumulator mounting rings? I grabbed those just in case.

D67F6505-DFC6-4956-B8AF-474B5B11D921.jpeg.4770c00f41f8f47e3d5627374d0761d8.jpeg

$35 from the breakers! The AC compressor, accumulator, the 2 hoses i need and the front mounting bracket!!

And a battery tray for good measure!

Well done!

Yes, someone was looking for those. Cory?

Yes, someone was looking for those. Cory?

Yes that was me, but I actually just got a set of them a week or so ago from an '83 that I got all of the lines from. Thanks for looking out for me though!!