Bullnose Forums

Project Begun: 1985 F150 5.0 EFI engine dismantle

sgauvry

Steve, picture #2, that is the temperature gauge sender.

Picture #3, knock sensor in the middle, air charge temperature (ACT) sensor with the white shell.

Picture #4, that is the coolant temperature sensor (ECT) for the computer.

Some of these, if you look at the location, it becomes self evident what they probably do. ACT is inserted in the #1 intake runner. ECT is screwed into the heater hose nipple. On the 460, they are pretty close together on the top of the lower intake.

001.thumb.jpg.d1b19b446f1a6eb074c10ac97417111a.jpg

Picture #3, knock sensor in the middle, air charge temperature (ACT) sensor with the white shell.

Some of these, if you look at the location, it becomes self evident what they probably do. ACT is inserted in the #1 intake runner. ECT is screwed into the heater hose nipple. On the 460, they are pretty close together on the top of the lower intake.

Steve - I think Bill answered your questions (well done, Bill!), but I do have an illustration of the system on the website here: Fuel Systems/Fuel System Illustrations/1985 302 w/EFI. And I can look up the part numbers if you need.

In addition, I have a book on Ford EEC-IV EFI systems, so there might be something in there if you need more info.

Thanks, Bill!

You indicated that the #2 pic illustrated the temperature gauge sender. Just called a temperature sensor and nothing else?

And in pic #4, you indicated the sensor there is the coolant sensor. That tube (or pipe) the sensor is attached to goes to one of the heater hoses, so that makes sense.

Thanks!!

Steve

Steve - I think Bill answered your questions (well done, Bill!), but I do have an illustration of the system on the website here: Fuel Systems/Fuel System Illustrations/1985 302 w/EFI. And I can look up the part numbers if you need.

In addition, I have a book on Ford EEC-IV EFI systems, so there might be something in there if you need more info.

Thanks Gary!

I've seen your diagram before. Unfortunately, I've scoured the internet and cannot find a diagram that indicates the sensors, which necessitated I contact the experts here. That's a good thing, though, because it give me an opp to keep you guys posted AND to benefit from the years of experience here on Garysgaragemahal!

Steve

Thanks, Bill!

You indicated that the #2 pic illustrated the temperature gauge sender. Just called a temperature sensor and nothing else?

And in pic #4, you indicated the sensor there is the coolant sensor. That tube (or pipe) the sensor is attached to goes to one of the heater hoses, so that makes sense.

Thanks!!

Steve

Yes, it is the same whether EFI or carbureted, it is a simple temperature sensitive resistor.

Gary, remember, Matt had a 1986 F150, 4WD with AOD. I became extremely conversant with that system.

Thanks Gary!

I've seen your diagram before. Unfortunately, I've scoured the internet and cannot find a diagram that indicates the sensors, which necessitated I contact the experts here. That's a good thing, though, because it give me an opp to keep you guys posted AND to benefit from the years of experience here on Garysgaragemahal!

Steve

Steve, check you EVTM, there were some Component Location drawings in the back pages.

Also the pages after the electrical drawings have some Location information as well.

Steve, check you EVTM, there were some Component Location drawings in the back pages.

Also the pages after the electrical drawings have some Location information as well.

Hi Vinny -

Yes. I looked at those. Should help me when.if I reconfigure the harness. Still considering locating it inside the engine compartment IF I can make it more streamline and hide much of it from view.

Can't find anywhere I've looked for identification of the manifold sensors, but am confident in the information I was provided and will go with that.

Have removed many of the engine compartment peripherals such as the thermactor pump, alternator, etc. Will remove the starter, header bolts, drain all fluids, etc. next break in the weather. And then I will remove the engine.

Planning to clean and repaint the engine compartment and check the engine. I've looked into purchasing a refurbished engine from S&J.

Also considering a new fuel rail. Found one on Summit racing that I think will work. Please let me know what you think about that system and if you think it will be a good fit.

Hope you are doing well. As I recall, you're still at your residence up north.

Steve