Bullnose Forum

Holley Sniper (aftermarket EFI), good or not?

What are the cut vacuum lines for, if when they're not connected, the truck still runs, including all accessories, etc.?

We can't tell you that off the tops of our heads as we don't know what ones they used and what ones they didn't. But, if you take good pics, and post them as large as you can on here, we might be able to figure it out.

Conversely, if they aren't connected and the truck runs well you can remove them w/o figuring out which ones they are.

My thoughts on which ones you need are shown here: Documentation/Underhood/http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vacuum-systems.html.

Interesting discussion. I have an efi 302 and carbed 351. The efi starts first time every time. The carb, well it starts well but that electric choke needs seasonal adjusting and our temp swings a re big.. todays was a low of 17 and a high of 60.

I really like the principle of these efi units they replace carbs , i will be shopping for one later in the year!

I think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to fix your existing problem.

What kind of carburetor do you have, and what exactly is your truck doing that makes you think the choke needs seasonal adjustments?

Are you using a stock style thermostatic air cleaner, or the open-element variety?

The other issue came with the desire to add an OD transmission with a lock-up converter. The commonly used Mustang 5.0L EEC will not control an E4OD, the required circuits aren't there. My first shot was a 1995 Bronco 5.0L EEC, code WAY1 which will run an E4OD, my problem with that was shift points, the 5.0L is a relatively low torque high revving engine, I did not want to be buzzing a 460 up like that.

Not to hijack the thread but what were the shift points for the 95 Bronco PCM if you remember? Say at WOT? I have a 351w that makes peak power at around 5k, an E4OD in my shop, and all the extra hardware including wiring from a 95 f150.

Is it worth keeping or removing an aftermarket Holley EFI module and return to stock carb on a 5.8? It functions perfectly fine, but I am toying with the idea, and wonder what the engine is like without the EFI. Is the EFI worth having? Does it matter either way?

From a performance stand point, I don't think it matters that much either way. All other things being equal, there isn't much difference between a properly-functioning EFI system and a well-tuned carbureted system. That being said, I think it would be better to have a stock carbureted setup over an aftermarket EFI system.

Aftermarket EFI systems generally aren't as good as OEM. And I would suggest that you learn to work on your own vehicle, because most mechanics do not want to mess with an aftermarket EFI system.

Likewise, aftermarket carburetors generally aren't as good as OEM. And I would suggest that you learn to work on your own vehicle, because many mechanics do not want to mess with a carbureted system at all (or don't know how), much less a custom job that was re-engineered by the owner with a bunch of custom and/or aftermarket parts.

It is much easier for you (and a mechanic) to be able to reference a shop manual to repair your vehicle. The further away you get from stock, the harder that job becomes.