Bullnose Forums

1984 f150 trans fluid issue

chain

transmission fluid is coming thru the speedometer cable and leaking into the drivers side floor.i have never ran across this issue before any help or solution to this problem greatly appreciated..

1984 F150 4x4 c6 auto 351w

Chain - As said in the email, I've not had this problem. But the only place the ATF could be getting into the speedometer cable is through the speedometer gear. However, I didn't realize that your truck is a 4x4, and the speedometer gear doesn't plug into the transmission on a 4x4. Instead it plugs into the transfer case.

The pic on the left is what the speedo gear looks like, and the pic on the right is where it goes in the t-case. But, you should check your t-case as it may have more ATF in it than it should, which could cause this problem.

Speedometer_Gear.thumb.jpg.9f2dfe7ba5a66e806b512d730de51e94.jpgT-Case_Speedometer_Gear_Opening.thumb.jpg.f9b1d8a591d61a890ee997b2b24df679.jpg

Chain - As said in the email, I've not had this problem. But the only place the ATF could be getting into the speedometer cable is through the speedometer gear. However, I didn't realize that your truck is a 4x4, and the speedometer gear doesn't plug into the transmission on a 4x4. Instead it plugs into the transfer case.

The pic on the left is what the speedo gear looks like, and the pic on the right is where it goes in the t-case. But, you should check your t-case as it may have more ATF in it than it should, which could cause this problem.

i thank you very much MR lewis..i sorted out the problem ( i think) my truck was sitting for some time before i bought it a few weeks ago after making this post and looking at possible suspect parts that could cause this in order to replace them..i had unhooked the speedo cable and had the truck idling steadyish fluid was coming from it i shut the truck off got under it and was looking around traced the speedo cable to the T-case and noticed some fluid had been slung around the tailshaft as well for some reason i dont know why but that little voice just said (vent) so i checked the vent tube and it was clogged up via a bee's nest cleaned that out made sure the speedo cable was tight got out and started the truck and let it idle again watching the cable no fluid came thru this time i left it that way for several mins idling and checking the trans fluid level which was 1/2 quart low topped that up..revved the engine a lil bit went thru the gears in the driveway all good,,hooked the cable back up and we will see how it does tomorrow when i got for a short 4x4 adventure with the wife...thank you for your help and those pics.

i thank you very much MR lewis..i sorted out the problem ( i think) my truck was sitting for some time before i bought it a few weeks ago after making this post and looking at possible suspect parts that could cause this in order to replace them..i had unhooked the speedo cable and had the truck idling steadyish fluid was coming from it i shut the truck off got under it and was looking around traced the speedo cable to the T-case and noticed some fluid had been slung around the tailshaft as well for some reason i dont know why but that little voice just said (vent) so i checked the vent tube and it was clogged up via a bee's nest cleaned that out made sure the speedo cable was tight got out and started the truck and let it idle again watching the cable no fluid came thru this time i left it that way for several mins idling and checking the trans fluid level which was 1/2 quart low topped that up..revved the engine a lil bit went thru the gears in the driveway all good,,hooked the cable back up and we will see how it does tomorrow when i got for a short 4x4 adventure with the wife...thank you for your help and those pics.

Please don't call me Mr. I'd rather be "one of the guys". But I'm glad you got it figured out. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good: