Bullnose Forums

1980-1991 Steering Column Billet Lower Bearing Housing

Or a small wooden wedge driven in and the other shaft would keep it from falling out.

On the factory set up is it not plastic?

If so I could see why they would not went the shaft to spin in side the bearing as it would wear down the plastic inner race.

But as said I cant see the shaft wearing because the bearing race was not spinning with the shaft.

But that is me.

How have you guys known that bearing needed to be replaced?

Was there play in the shaft and you traced it to the lower bearing or was it making noise?

I never looked that close at either one of mine as I did not feel a need.

Dave ----

Factory bearing is an all metal ball style bearing with plastic keepers to keep the ball bearings apart.

I knew mine was bad because it made a gritty sound when spun, as if there was dirt in the bearing. I was able to WD40 all the dirt out, but when it fell out on the ground and I found it was covered in rust, along with the automatic shift tube, I chose to replace it with this since the factory style bearing isn't easily available. Plus, I wanted to be a guinea pig for once. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Factory bearing is an all metal ball style bearing with plastic keepers to keep the ball bearings apart.

I knew mine was bad because it made a gritty sound when spun, as if there was dirt in the bearing. I was able to WD40 all the dirt out, but when it fell out on the ground and I found it was covered in rust, along with the automatic shift tube, I chose to replace it with this since the factory style bearing isn't easily available. Plus, I wanted to be a guinea pig for once. :nabble_smiley_good:

I ordered one and I think it came in a day and a half. I got mine polished and it's well made and a he's great guy to do business with.