Bullnose Forums

Need Advice on adding 4WD to 1983 F100

Barry - I had a really hard time understanding your post. But from what I do understand you are thinking about buying a 1984 f150 XLT 302 4spd and are wondering if $400 is a reasonable price. The truck apparently runs, but is in pretty bad shape?

A few years ago I bought a truck that was in pretty decent shape from a rust standpoint, but the rear axle was broken. I paid $600 for it.

As for the transfer case, they are interchangeable.

ok located AOD trans / NP208 Transfer case with shifter from 1992 F150 I know the new AOD is upgrade for the early ones so that a no brainer I will rebuild everything before install NP208 from 92 Work ? its being thrown in with deal along with shifter let me know your thoughts.

ok located AOD trans / NP208 Transfer case with shifter from 1992 F150 I know the new AOD is upgrade for the early ones so that a no brainer I will rebuild everything before install NP208 from 92 Work ? its being thrown in with deal along with shifter let me know your thoughts.

The problem you're gonna run into with that new of a setup is with the output of the transfer case, the speedometer cable, and the transfer case shifter. Newer trucks featured a slip joint style transfer case, which means no output yoke like the older trucks. You'll need a driveshaft from a newer truck as well. The newer trucks feature an electro mechanical speedometer, which may not accept an older style speedometer cable (speculation). And the newer trucks (88+) feature a shifter that comes through the side of the transmission tunnel, and not the top like the bullnose trucks. This means that the shifter assembly is completely different, and I don't know if you can run an older style lever on the newer style extension housing (the piece that goes between the transmission and the transfer case).

The problem you're gonna run into with that new of a setup is with the output of the transfer case, the speedometer cable, and the transfer case shifter. Newer trucks featured a slip joint style transfer case, which means no output yoke like the older trucks. You'll need a driveshaft from a newer truck as well. The newer trucks feature an electro mechanical speedometer, which may not accept an older style speedometer cable (speculation). And the newer trucks (88+) feature a shifter that comes through the side of the transmission tunnel, and not the top like the bullnose trucks. This means that the shifter assembly is completely different, and I don't know if you can run an older style lever on the newer style extension housing (the piece that goes between the transmission and the transfer case).

Thanks Shaun i will tell him it's a no go on transfer case I am more interested in the late model AOD trans. Which is better than early model, it's tough to find truck with AOD trans and 4WD

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Shaun i will tell him it's a no go on transfer case I am more interested in the late model AOD trans. Which is better than early model, it's tough to find truck with AOD trans and 4WD

update I have purchased 1985 f150 4wd 351HO C6 auto trans , also picked up AOD with 4WD adapter so I think I am set. if anyone needs something hit me up 351HO is running has good oil pressure does not smoke or knocks with orig Holley carb on, C6 seemsto shift fine drops right into forward & reverse and fluid is cherry red, truck has short tube headers on but truck is pretty toast none A/C truck.