Bullnose Forums

Electrical problems?

Okay, so water pump is replaced and the shifter is back in the trans. Got the truck started but while i was trying to set the timing and tune the carb it died. Itll run for maybe 2 to 3 minutes then it dies. The lights in the dash go out and the truck wont start. If i wait until the dash lights come back on itll start again. I thought the alt wasnt charging the batt but put a meter on it and it was in the mid to upper 14 volt range. The fuel pump seems to be a little weak which might explain it dying but not the electrical issue. Could it be my electronic regulator or maybe when i de-smogged it i missed something? Tach is jumping allover the place and the clock is all out of wack while its running.

Well, that's strange!

If your voltage is showing mid-14's then the alternator and regulator are working properly.

With the lights in the dash going out I'm going to guess that you don't have voltage to the ignition switch and, therefore, it can't pull the starter relay in. Why is why it won't start.

But if the lights come back on by themselves it seems like something is getting hot and losing connectivity. Then cooling and connecting again. I don't remember having a bad connection like that, but that is my guess - a bad connection at the battery or starter relay. Check your connections there, including the grounds.

Well, that's strange!

If your voltage is showing mid-14's then the alternator and regulator are working properly.

With the lights in the dash going out I'm going to guess that you don't have voltage to the ignition switch and, therefore, it can't pull the starter relay in. Why is why it won't start.

But if the lights come back on by themselves it seems like something is getting hot and losing connectivity. Then cooling and connecting again. I don't remember having a bad connection like that, but that is my guess - a bad connection at the battery or starter relay. Check your connections there, including the grounds.

I agree on checking your ignition switch feed at the starter relay. It's the smaller wire on the starter relay on the same location the battery cable is on if I'm not mistaken. Make sure all connections are corrosion free.

So, we found a couple shorts, one inside the truck where someone (not us) cut wires and stuffed them back into the footwell. Tach is still a little glitchy but the truck runs good. Thanks for your help

Glad you found the source of your problem and got it going, congrats.

So, we found a couple shorts, one inside the truck where someone (not us) cut wires and stuffed them back into the footwell. Tach is still a little glitchy but the truck runs good. Thanks for your help

Yes, glad you found that. As for the tach, sometimes they aren't smooth. I've had them do crazy things when they were cold.