Bullnose Forums

Vent type kick panels - used

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how exactly do these integrate with the AC/heat system?

They don't, not really. You remove the non vent kick panels, unscrew and remove the flat cover, and then bolt these on.

Then these are just manually operated so you have to open and close as needed. They are really just a non-electrical alternative to the Vent setting.

If you leave the drivers side open during the winter you'll know it quickly :nabble_smiley_beam:

After sealing the cowl in the 1 ton I'd left them off for awhile when winter kicked in and it creates quite the cold draft.

...looks like Gary was quicker on the draw

Interesting! I've often thought of adding those to a truck with A/C, and those would be right for Big Blue. But, I've often wondered if they seal tightly, or if you have cold air leaking in around your feet in the winter.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I installed these in Lucille a few years ago, and it turned out to be one of the better mods I have done. Installing the kick panel vents is a very simple job to do, and I wouldn't ever go back to the block-off plates and solid kick panel trim moldings that come with trucks that originally had factory A/C.

To answer your question, YES, they seal tightly. That is, if they are in good condition and the foam seal is still in good shape. I can't feel any outside air coming in to the cab when they are closed. And they work great as an alternative to A/C when the weather is cool enough. The kick panel vents look great and work even better, whether your truck has factory air conditioning or not!

Keep in mind that these trucks are getting OLD, and finding a set of kick panel vents and trim molding in decent shape and in the correct color is not so easy anymore. Plus, this is the very LAST generation of trucks to use them, so I would encourage anyone who is considering this mod to do it.

Interesting! I've often thought of adding those to a truck with A/C, and those would be right for Big Blue. But, I've often wondered if they seal tightly, or if you have cold air leaking in around your feet in the winter.

I installed these in Lucille a few years ago, and it turned out to be one of the better mods I have done. It is a very simple job to do, and I wouldn't ever go back to the block-off plates and solid kick panel trim moldings.

To answer your question, YES, they seal tightly. I can't feel any outside air coming in to the cab when they are closed. And they work great as an alternative to A/C when the weather is cool enough. The kick panel vents look great and work even better, whether your truck has factory air conditioning or not!

Keep in mind that these trucks are getting OLD, and finding a set of kick panel vents and trim molding in decent shape and in the correct color is not so easy anymore. Plus, this is the very LAST generation of trucks to use them, so I would encourage anyone who is considering this mod to do it.

I was thinking of grabbing a set even if I had to retexture them and repaint

I installed these in Lucille a few years ago, and it turned out to be one of the better mods I have done. Installing the kick panel vents is a very simple job to do, and I wouldn't ever go back to the block-off plates and solid kick panel trim moldings that come with trucks that originally had factory A/C.

To answer your question, YES, they seal tightly. That is, if they are in good condition and the foam seal is still in good shape. I can't feel any outside air coming in to the cab when they are closed. And they work great as an alternative to A/C when the weather is cool enough. The kick panel vents look great and work even better, whether your truck has factory air conditioning or not!

also curious if one could mod something like these into the panel and accomplish something similar.

vents.png.feef83841508496832eb93c9b5af0b14.png

The other question would be does said vents cause moisture issues? Where are the block off plates? If they are by your feet is there potential for this to be a water trap?

The other question would be does said vents cause moisture issues? Where are the block off plates? If they are by your feet is there potential for this to be a water trap?

I don't think there'd be any moisture issues. Ford probably built hundreds of thousands of these trucks equipped with these vents. The vents are up quite high off the floor...it's more like they're under the dash.

Here's my passenger side...kick panel is currently not on of course...

IMG_0117.jpg.99c17bb12be8e76e4d5fb7ecb033d1b2.jpg

The block off plates go in the hole behind the vents when the vents are removed.

From the outside of the truck, they'd be right behind where the heat/AC box gets it's fresh air...right above where the drains are for the cowl area (Behind the fenders). I outlined it in yellow below...not sure how well it will show up.

IMG_8348.jpg.b922570207ad4702e21298729cb5cf50.jpg

I don't think there'd be any moisture issues. Ford probably built hundreds of thousands of these trucks equipped with these vents. The vents are up quite high off the floor...it's more like they're under the dash.

Here's my passenger side...kick panel is currently not on of course...

The block off plates go in the hole behind the vents when the vents are removed.

From the outside of the truck, they'd be right behind where the heat/AC box gets it's fresh air...right above where the drains are for the cowl area (Behind the fenders). I outlined it in yellow below...not sure how well it will show up.

OK thanks for walking me through these.

Where does the air pull from I guess is what I'm getting at. does it come from the cowl or just right where you have it marked.

Sounds like you could easily fit a filter to it as well if you live in a crazy pollen zone like us.

Here the pollen is so bad its like snow drifts.

OK thanks for walking me through these.

Where does the air pull from I guess is what I'm getting at. does it come from the cowl or just right where you have it marked.

Sounds like you could easily fit a filter to it as well if you live in a crazy pollen zone like us.

Here the pollen is so bad its like snow drifts.

The cowl/rain gutter. It's the same place the hvac system gets its external air.

also curious if one could mod something like these into the panel and accomplish something similar.

The cowl/rain gutter. It's the same place the hvac system gets its external air.

I can't speak for every single pair of kick panels, however the ones from my 86 w/AC actually have a line molded in that shows where the kick panels used for the vents would be cut. You could probably use a set of the full kick panels as well, and use that outline to trim them provided it is there.