Bullnose Forums

Cab wire harness part #?

Ford F834

Myrl - Thanks! I created a page to capture the wiring harnesses: Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses/Wiring Harnesses, but to this point only have the cab (instrument panel to dash panel) harness included as I had no idea that there are as many different harnii as there are.

But if I've missed some please let me know.

And WOW! I had no idea there were that many different cab (instrument panel to dash panel) harnesses for the F-Series trucks:

1980: 4 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank

1981: 4 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank

1982: 4 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank

1983: 6 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank, diesel, and 460 hot fuel handling

1984: 6 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank, diesel, and 460 hot fuel handling

1985: 18 I can't get my head around all of the changes

1986: 8

WOW

We know the 80 had different wire pin out but I wonder if you could use 81/84 (less the diesel's & hot fuel handling) for a swap or upgrade (aux tank or gauges)?

For 83/84 the diesel & HFH did the trucks come with gauges only?

Other wise you would have 8 different harnesses for them years if I count right.

I guess I was lucky I had an almost match for my harness swap in the 81.

Both had gauges and 1 with & 1 without aux tank, I used the aux tank harness.

Dave ----

Yes, I think the diesels and 460's must have come with gauges, although I've not seen that in other documentation.

Myrl - Thanks! I created a page to capture the wiring harnesses: Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses/Wiring Harnesses, but to this point only have the cab (instrument panel to dash panel) harness included as I had no idea that there are as many different harnii as there are.

And WOW! I had no idea there were that many different cab (instrument panel to dash panel) harnesses for the F-Series trucks:

1983: 6 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank, diesel, and 460 hot fuel handling

1984: 6 With & without gauges and with & without aux tank, diesel, and 460 hot fuel handling

WOW

We know the 80 had different wire pin out but I wonder if you could use 81/84 (less the diesel's & hot fuel handling) for a swap or upgrade (aux tank or gauges)?

For 83/84 the diesel & HFH did the trucks come with gauges only?

Other wise you would have 8 different harnesses for them years if I count right.

I guess I was lucky I had an almost match for my harness swap in the 81.

Both had gauges and 1 with & 1 without aux tank, I used the aux tank harness.

Dave ----

Probably the reason for 18 in 1985 was the mid year introduction of the EFI 5.0L, that is at least 4 if not more right there single vs dual tanks, then if you add w and w/o gauges to those 4 it makes 8 there alone. Since the AC systems were a piggyback harness that plugs into the basic heater only harness it will be a separate PN.

This is most likely why the change in 1987 to separate dash and front harnesses. From what I remember my 1977 had molded rubber plugs at the firewall for lights & horn and then one for the engine including the DS-II system. I have never understood why Ford went to the single combined harness in 1980.

WOW!!! Thank you Gary, this is awesome! I was unable to go to the yard yesterday, but today it’s a plan. If I am successful at pulling two harnii I will try to see what the main difference might be between gas and diesel.

I can say that I have never seen a diesel with idiot lights. I have never seen a single tank diesel either. I can also say that 83/84 diesels lacked the tachometer circuit option. I’m guessing early 85 lacked it also given the note “From 2/85” on one of the diesel ones.

***Thank You for all of the work you put into this!***

WOW!!! Thank you Gary, this is awesome! I was unable to go to the yard yesterday, but today it’s a plan. If I am successful at pulling two harnii I will try to see what the main difference might be between gas and diesel.

I can say that I have never seen a diesel with idiot lights. I have never seen a single tank diesel either. I can also say that 83/84 diesels lacked the tachometer circuit option. I’m guessing early 85 lacked it also given the note “From 2/85” on one of the diesel ones.

***Thank You for all of the work you put into this!***

1985 was a confusing year. But compare it to '86. There were many changes. And, they dropped the idiot lights in '86 and made the gauges standard, which really made things a lot more simple.

Jonathan - You are welcome. I realized that all the harnii appear to have "Wiring Assy" in the title, which gave me a way to find them. But I had no idea there were so many kinds of harnii, nor so many within each kind. :nabble_anim_crazy: