Bullnose Forums

After years of searching I found DAD's old truck!

66gtk

I recently got another lead regarding a previous owner of Dad's truck that I've been searching for. Hell, I've been searching for anything LIKE Dad's truck these past few years to buy with no luck. Dad ordered an 81 F100 Ranger XLT in San Bernadino CA back in the day. He loaded it with the Freewheeler package, AC, Auto, 302, PW, PL and more. I had pretty much given up that the truck still existed. He traded it in in 1983 for a Cherokee Laredo as the truck was not much good on the ND winter roads. I figured it was long gone, rusted hulk by now.

Well.....I followed a couple leads and ended up finding a prior owner's son on Facebook by searching for last names. When I did hit a fellow who knew about the truck I was asking about he told me he knew exactly where it was. It was still in his dad's garage!!

I'm told it has 51K original miles on it still, it's remains in 100% stock and original condition and it's been sitting for over 12 years without being driven. I eventually made contact with the owner and he reports it's still like new, but the wood bed needs to be redone. The truck hasn't been photographed since it moved to it's current location in 1989. However, I did manage to get a partial snap shot from his daughter's phone the day I made contact. Yep, that's Dad's truck alright. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's the one. I've never seen another that color. Brought back a rush of memories. It looks good, but it's buried in dust and junk piled all around it. Looks like a barn find. I'd post a photo, but I want to keep that private for now as I don't want it to leak out.

I would like nothing better than to purchase this truck, but the owner doesn't want to part with it. He claims everybody who sees it wants to buy it. He said he'd consider selling it if he got his price. However, when asked he won't reveal what this price is. I would love to appeal to this guy's good nature to sell it to me, but I'm not sure how to go about it. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who will make that easy on me. I don't mind paying value, or even over paying to get my Dad's truck back. I feel like I'm being teased in a way with this new info/carrot dangling here in front of me. It's pretty exciting. I haven't told my Dad yet. I'd love to surprise him with it!!!!! But how???

Truck looks pretty much just like this one, but is 2WD. The blue is also lighter, but not bright blue lighter. Very unique factory color.

openingF100.jpg.615057c614b5ee632757a069a921fe5e.jpg

Sadly, he's got you right where he wants you since he knows there's sentimental value. As said, he's only gonna sell it for what he wants, and he knows if you really want the truck, you'll pay it.

I would honestly rather buy another truck and create a clone than try and purchase a sentimental vehicle from an owner like the one you describe. It's already hard enough to track down a previously owned family vehicle, and it's ever harder to get it for a price you feel is fair for both parties.

Best of luck with it though, hopefully it works out in your favor.

I would like nothing better than to purchase this truck, but the owner doesn't want to part with it. He claims everybody who sees it wants to buy it. He said he'd consider selling it if he got his price. However, when asked he won't reveal what this price is. I would love to appeal to this guy's good nature to sell it to me, but I'm not sure how to go about it. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who will make that easy on me. I don't mind paying value, or even over paying to get my Dad's truck back. I feel like I'm being teased in a way with this new info/carrot dangling here in front of me. It's pretty exciting. I haven't told my Dad yet. I'd love to surprise him with it!!!!! But how???

The problem is that there is often a wild difference between what a vehicle is actually worth, and what the seller thinks it is worth.

So I guess you have to decide what it's worth to you and start throwing some offers at the guy. Unfortunately, a 2wd Bullnose Flareside sitting in a barn with no floor in the bed is not worth a lot of money.

Good example below:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/188390769221328/

barnfind.jpg.f7b99309ee03610d31429f1d21973669.jpg

Unfortunately for all of us, these trucks still do not have a huge resale value unless they're showroom clean. I guess it really depends on the overall condition. The rotten wood floor in the bed is nothing...that happens to all of them. How much rust is there? The Freewheeling package doesn't add crazy value either, again, unless the thing is absolutely mint. I've seen a few of them sell in the past couple years...2wd Flaresides with one of the Freewheeling packages, and they went for around $5000. These were running and driving trucks, with original paint, but well worn and definitely needing work.

But, I see them like the one on Facebook above all the time. $2500 is a ballpark figure for a 2wd Flareside that's worth rebuilding. If it runs and drives and is currently on the road...$4000-$5000 maybe. If it's really nice, original paint, and maybe just needing a few minor things...maybe $7500. It is possible for them to get up into the $15,000 range but that would be a fully restored specimen.

I'm talking 2wd mind you, not 4x4. Four wheel drive goes up in value again...

You can go on to the Hagerty website and sign up for a free account, and download a vehicle report that shows the value of the truck. I just switched to Hagerty myself so they sent me a report, but interestingly enough, the 2wd Flaresides show a spike in value in or around 2019. They are Canadian values, but would be nothing more than direct exchange conversions from USD.

Hagerty.jpg.49ffa6e1f7d5a16f7bf8701fa2c49c18.jpg

I overpaid for my 1984 Flareside, and by quite a bit too...but it was somewhat local (250 miles away), it was mostly all original, and it was exactly what I wanted. I had been looking for a couple years for the right one, so when it finally showed up, I had to pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to pull on the guy's heart strings. I'd just roll in there with a wad of cash in my hand, and start negotiating. If he's too high, he's too high, and you'll have to walk.

In any case, good luck with it!

The problem is that there is often a wild difference between what a vehicle is actually worth, and what the seller thinks it is worth.

So I guess you have to decide what it's worth to you and start throwing some offers at the guy. Unfortunately, a 2wd Bullnose Flareside sitting in a barn with no floor in the bed is not worth a lot of money.

Good example below:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/188390769221328/

Unfortunately for all of us, these trucks still do not have a huge resale value unless they're showroom clean. I guess it really depends on the overall condition. The rotten wood floor in the bed is nothing...that happens to all of them. How much rust is there? The Freewheeling package doesn't add crazy value either, again, unless the thing is absolutely mint. I've seen a few of them sell in the past couple years...2wd Flaresides with one of the Freewheeling packages, and they went for around $5000. These were running and driving trucks, with original paint, but well worn and definitely needing work.

But, I see them like the one on Facebook above all the time. $2500 is a ballpark figure for a 2wd Flareside that's worth rebuilding. If it runs and drives and is currently on the road...$4000-$5000 maybe. If it's really nice, original paint, and maybe just needing a few minor things...maybe $7500. It is possible for them to get up into the $15,000 range but that would be a fully restored specimen.

I'm talking 2wd mind you, not 4x4. Four wheel drive goes up in value again...

You can go on to the Hagerty website and sign up for a free account, and download a vehicle report that shows the value of the truck. I just switched to Hagerty myself so they sent me a report, but interestingly enough, the 2wd Flaresides show a spike in value in or around 2019. They are Canadian values, but would be nothing more than direct exchange conversions from USD.

I overpaid for my 1984 Flareside, and by quite a bit too...but it was somewhat local (250 miles away), it was mostly all original, and it was exactly what I wanted. I had been looking for a couple years for the right one, so when it finally showed up, I had to pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to pull on the guy's heart strings. I'd just roll in there with a wad of cash in my hand, and start negotiating. If he's too high, he's too high, and you'll have to walk.

In any case, good luck with it!

Yes, good luck with it!

I've said several times that I wouldn't pay more than scrap or parting-out price for a truck in a field or a barn - unless it has sentimental value. And in your case it certainly does.

My reasoning is that since you can't drive it there's no way to know what is wrong. But somethings are wrong or it wouldn't have been parked all these years. And the years and the mice/rats haven't helped it any. So there is going to be a LOT to do to get it back on the road.

But in this case it may well be worth it, whatever "it" is. If my dad were still alive I'd be all over getting his truck finished, at whatever the cost.

Yes, good luck with it!

I've said several times that I wouldn't pay more than scrap or parting-out price for a truck in a field or a barn - unless it has sentimental value. And in your case it certainly does.

My reasoning is that since you can't drive it there's no way to know what is wrong. But somethings are wrong or it wouldn't have been parked all these years. And the years and the mice/rats haven't helped it any. So there is going to be a LOT to do to get it back on the road.

But in this case it may well be worth it, whatever "it" is. If my dad were still alive I'd be all over getting his truck finished, at whatever the cost.

Yeah, I may just have to resort to checking in with the guy every 12 months or so to make sure he knows I'm still interested. My dad seems to remember this truck being about $10K when new. The current owner already told me he's been offered more than that from a neighbor who is a Ford guy. I am thinking that is probably highly unlikely. However, it's not impossible.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to arrange a flight to go see it with a bag full of cash and see if I can get his attention. I may learn the truck isn't all that nice, but the photo I've seen shows a preserved truck that's simply been neglected in a garage. Not a barn, not a dirt floor, not a back yard... The only way to really know what's there is to see it with my eyes.

My dad traded it in '83 with about 36K miles on it. Over 90% those miles were CA commuting miles. Now it has 51K. I have no idea why he decided to stop using it, but it clearly was important for him to keep it all these years/decades. He told me he's retiring in a few years and plans to use it as his putting around retirement vehicle. I don't think he has any idea what it's going to take to make it road worthy again, and there is always a high chance he will attempt this while cutting corners, losing original parts, cheaping out on replacement parts, etc... This will only drive up the price and lower the value in my estimation. Unless, of course, things were done right....this would be my approach and I know it's not cheap. I'm in the process of doing this now with my '83.

Since he hasn’t said what his price is, I’m guessing he is being coy and trying to gauge how bad you want it and how much to ask. He may even be researching you before talking about it. Christopher Lott has the freewheel and chromatic stripe Facebook page, and probably knows better than anyone what the street value is without the sentimental part. It might be worth asking his advice about market value. And I think that is great advice about approaching him with a cash offer and save any memory lane conversations for if and when you strike a deal. And I would pretty much stick to making the deal only once. If it does not work the first round I’d bet the price would go up if you approached again. Either it’s for sale or it’s not, and either he takes your offer or he doesn’t. Gary has a very good point about what to expect out of a vehicle that’s been sitting, even if it’s been in a garage. On the positive side the interior may be much better than a daily driver, and you might even be able to save the original paint, but don’t expect that a fresh battery and fluid change will get it back on the road. Make your offer accordingly!

Yeah, I may just have to resort to checking in with the guy every 12 months or so to make sure he knows I'm still interested. My dad seems to remember this truck being about $10K when new. The current owner already told me he's been offered more than that from a neighbor who is a Ford guy. I am thinking that is probably highly unlikely. However, it's not impossible.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to arrange a flight to go see it with a bag full of cash and see if I can get his attention. I may learn the truck isn't all that nice, but the photo I've seen shows a preserved truck that's simply been neglected in a garage. Not a barn, not a dirt floor, not a back yard... The only way to really know what's there is to see it with my eyes.

My dad traded it in '83 with about 36K miles on it. Over 90% those miles were CA commuting miles. Now it has 51K. I have no idea why he decided to stop using it, but it clearly was important for him to keep it all these years/decades. He told me he's retiring in a few years and plans to use it as his putting around retirement vehicle. I don't think he has any idea what it's going to take to make it road worthy again, and there is always a high chance he will attempt this while cutting corners, losing original parts, cheaping out on replacement parts, etc... This will only drive up the price and lower the value in my estimation. Unless, of course, things were done right....this would be my approach and I know it's not cheap. I'm in the process of doing this now with my '83.

Maybe drive up in another similar truck and offer to swap? Or trade with some cash to boot? If he's just wanting to putt putt around in it then having one running would be a big advantage.

But going to see it is key. Having said that, it will reinforce that you have sentimental value for it. And depending on the type of guy he is, it could drive up the price.

If you are going to play the sentimental card, take some pics with you of the truck back in the day. Or, maybe even your father?

Maybe drive up in another similar truck and offer to swap? Or trade with some cash to boot? If he's just wanting to putt putt around in it then having one running would be a big advantage.

But going to see it is key. Having said that, it will reinforce that you have sentimental value for it. And depending on the type of guy he is, it could drive up the price.

If you are going to play the sentimental card, take some pics with you of the truck back in the day. Or, maybe even your father?

Seems a little bit like hes taking advantage of the situation here seeing as how to him its just a truck that apparently never moves.

Maybe remind him that vehicles that sit for long stretches develop all sorts of problems.

I wish you well in this journey. Youve gotten pretty dang close!

It would be pretty low of him to sell it to anyone else now that youve been in touch.

Good advice! I think you have a good plan.

I’m skeptical of the miles (as usual), I was skeptical on mine having around 150,000 until I looked at it.

As said looking at is a key issue. Showing up with money and a limit is good.

If someone wanted to buy my truck right now, I’d want more for it than if I was ready to sell. I can see his point, but I wouldn’t play around. I’d just say sure, $7500 and it’s yours.

That's exciting that you found it! Even if it doesn't work out, that's a great story.

You've gotten good advice from others.

With the drive-by offers I've made, it's either an immediate sell or it's not going to happen. If he said he'd turned down a >10k offer already for a non-running truck, whether true or not, and he is wanting you to guess his 'reserve' price, that's typically an indication of a seller I'd move on from. I'd request some good photos and see if you get them. That's another indication of whether you guys will be able to work something out or not.