Bullnose Forums

351w heads with 96K from a 89 ford eonoline van.

BeagleRock

Can't tell from the pics, Randy. The number you show is a date casting, I think. You are looking for a number like D8OE or E7TE. But this page tells you where to look as well as how to decode what you find.

Having said that, why do you need heads? From an '89 van they'll be "smog heads" that aren't much, if any better than what you have. Large humps in the exhaust ports that restrict the flow.

If they were Explorer heads, like the GT40's or GT40P's, then they might be worth something. But I don't think these are special, although I don't know that for sure since I can't see the right #'s.

Can't tell from the pics, Randy. The number you show is a date casting, I think. You are looking for a number like D8OE or E7TE. But this page tells you where to look as well as how to decode what you find.

Having said that, why do you need heads? From an '89 van they'll be "smog heads" that aren't much, if any better than what you have. Large humps in the exhaust ports that restrict the flow.

If they were Explorer heads, like the GT40's or GT40P's, then they might be worth something. But I don't think these are special, although I don't know that for sure since I can't see the right #'s.

Gary last spring I butchered an intake manifold job that resulted in coolant getting into the oil. 3 oil changes later and a good carburetor the truck is running pretty well. However the passenger side valve cover has a bit more than a ticking sound, more like a Clattering sound that's quite annoying.

Also about this time last year I swapped out a very clogged pcv valve and grommet, unfortunately the brittle grommet dropped into the valve cover while engine was running :nabble_smiley_cry:

Now that I've done everything I can skill wise I thought maybe that grommet has caused some damage to the passenger side head. So I was just surfing and found these heads along with the nice fuel injection system thinking I might need these some day.

So that's my reasoning behind the question I posed. Break glass in case of emergency if you will since the heads I've seen go for 2 to 300.00 apiece used so I thought these might come in handy some day. That's my story.

- deleted -

The number you show is a date casting, I think. You are looking for a number like D8OE or E7TE.

I'm pretty sure the small blocks all had the E7TE heads as standard from the late 1980's until the end in 1997. Starting in or around 1987. However, I'm no 351W expert...I've only read up on the 302, but I thought they had the same heads with the small exception that when fitted to a 351W they had the larger bolt holes.

I've bought and sold a couple sets of them, and they seem to go for between $60-$100 a set used. They are a decent upgrade over the D8 heads and will bump the compression up some. I don't mean a high HP upgrade in stock form...but if you had an 80's small block with 8.3:1 compression and wanted to get it up to 8.9:1 compression, the E7 heads would help with that.

If you get them ported they are an excellent head...but that gets into a whole other discussion.

The number you show is a date casting, I think. You are looking for a number like D8OE or E7TE.

I'm pretty sure the small blocks all had the E7TE heads as standard from the late 1980's until the end in 1997. Starting in or around 1987. However, I'm no 351W expert...I've only read up on the 302, but I thought they had the same heads with the small exception that when fitted to a 351W they had the larger bolt holes.

I've bought and sold a couple sets of them, and they seem to go for between $60-$100 a set used. They are a decent upgrade over the D8 heads and will bump the compression up some. I don't mean a high HP upgrade in stock form...but if you had an 80's small block with 8.3:1 compression and wanted to get it up to 8.9:1 compression, the E7 heads would help with that.

If you get them ported they are an excellent head...but that gets into a whole other discussion.

Randy - I agree with Cory that used heads go for up to $100/pair. But rebuilt heads do go for up to $300/pair as it'll cost you ~$200 to have the used ones gone through.

So those heads aren't a steal, but aren't a bad price either assuming they are well used. But I'd not go to the effort of installing used heads w/o having them gone through. It is waaaaaaay too much effort to then find out they have a burned valve. Or, worse yet, are cracked.

Randy - I agree with Cory that used heads go for up to $100/pair. But rebuilt heads do go for up to $300/pair as it'll cost you ~$200 to have the used ones gone through.

So those heads aren't a steal, but aren't a bad price either assuming they are well used. But I'd not go to the effort of installing used heads w/o having them gone through. It is waaaaaaay too much effort to then find out they have a burned valve. Or, worse yet, are cracked.

Okie Dokie Gary Thanks!