Bullnose Forums

Return Springs/Throttle Shaft Bushing Wear

LARIAT 85

In addition to the stock throttle cable, I currently have an aftermarket Lokar transmission kickdown (AOD TV) cable attached to my throttle lever, in lieu of a kickdown (AOD TV) rod. Which means I have two return springs closing the throttle lever. The throttle return spring is part of the throttle cable, which pushes the throttle lever closed from the back. At the same time, the Lokar kickdown cable has a return spring that is part of the transmission cable, which pulls the the throttle lever closed from the back.

Is this bad for the throttle shaft bushings? It is currently set up like this, and 1:30 shows the motion:

Now that I have the correct Motorcraft 2150 AOD throttle lever that will accept the stock TV rod, I was thinking about swapping the linkage over to my Autolite 4100. But if the Lokar kickdown (TV) cable isn't any worse on the throttle shaft bushings, I might leave it.

I don't think you have a problem. The two springs are actually balanced, with the throttle cable pushing the top of the arm forward, and the TV cable pulling the bottom of the arm back. So, assuming the two have roughly the same force, then the fore/aft forces cancel each other and there should not be any extra wear.

I think I would leave it if it is properly adjusted.

I don't think you have a problem. The two springs are actually balanced, with the throttle cable pushing the top of the arm forward, and the TV cable pulling the bottom of the arm back. So, assuming the two have roughly the same force, then the fore/aft forces cancel each other and there should not be any extra wear.

I think I would leave it if it is properly adjusted.

Thanks, Chief! :nabble_smiley_good:

If you want to change the throttle shaft, it is a good thought, it would remove having two springs pulling back on the throttle shaft, which, since Ford did not use bushings on their throttle shafts, will wear the aluminum on that 50+ year old carburetor. Some of the rebuilders do bush them during remanufacturing.

If you want to change the throttle shaft, it is a good thought, it would remove having two springs pulling back on the throttle shaft, which, since Ford did not use bushings on their throttle shafts, will wear the aluminum on that 50+ year old carburetor. Some of the rebuilders do bush them during remanufacturing.

Bill - I thought Rick said that one spring pushes forward while the other spring, on the opposite arm of the linkage, pulls back. That seemed balanced to me.

Bill - I thought Rick said that one spring pushes forward while the other spring, on the opposite arm of the linkage, pulls back. That seemed balanced to me.

That's true, there is also the pump overtravel spring and if he puts the 2150 throttle shaft in it may have a return spring built in, most of the newer carbs do (government mandated).