Bullnose Forums

351 Rear Main Seal???

Bruno2

Is there another option for the rear main seal besides the rope style? Does the application differ as far as can I use a different style on my motor or am I locked into using the rope seal?

I thought I had read somewhere that there was a two piece press in seal? If so does it fit all 351W's?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a rubber style, but it is also a two-piece seal. Fits just like the rope seal, but you have to remove the pin before using it.

The block has to be machined for a one-piece seal. I'm not sure if the 351W ever had that from the factory.

351W built after 7/11/83 used a one piece press-in seal.

I don't remember for sure. It might have been from Brownie, the 1982. Or it might have been from the 1985 I parted out. I don't remember.

Post a pic of the rear main location?

I believe this is saying that the block will have "6015" cast in it and that you can't use that to figure out what it is. But, just in case, here's what the catalog says for 351W's:

351W_Block.thumb.jpg.7667676b945df706da708e146b7d8158.jpg

I believe this is saying that the block will have "6015" cast in it and that you can't use that to figure out what it is. But, just in case, here's what the catalog says for 351W's:

I will get a pic of the casting numbers as well as the main cap on the rear and post it.