Bullnose Forums

Saginaw Conversions - Where To Put It?

Gary Lewis

Well, it seems the feedback is split. Some for an individual page, like we have now, and some for it being on the Power Steering page.

I think I want to leave it where it is for a while, for two reasons. First, it would take some time to move it, and I need to get back to Big Blue. Second, so the search engines can find it, which they don't seem to do with content that is deep on the page due to lots of tabs.

Vic - I've added key words on many pages that have tabs and from what I've seen the search engines don't reward info in key words the way they do content itself. And they don't seem to find tabbed content.

And your suggestion of changing the font and reducing the cell padding is good. But the key words, font, and cell padding are all part and parcel of an overall usability vs SEO optimization discussion. It is one we seriously need to have, but not in this thread. Let me think about this and I'll start another thread that will delve into this aspect of the site. Thanks.

Jonathan - I think the Saginaw Conversion page's location is consistent with the 3G page. For the Sag it is Doc/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Upgrade. For the 3G it is Doc/Electrical/3G. But I don't think we have a page on Hydroboost upgrades, do we? We have discussions about it here in the forum, but no page on it in the Doc section.

But, we should and either you or Jim, IIRC, said I'd do it when done with Big Blue. I'm happy to do that and can also do the 460 Saginaw part of it as well. As for where it should go, I guess in light of the above discussion maybe it should be a page on its own in Doc/Driveline/Brakes/Hydroboost Upgrade?

Jim - I'm not averse to a folder with links, but where would you suggest we put it? A new sticky? And what is an "upgrade"? Does a D60 qualify? How 'bout converting from a Bricknose to a Bullnose? Just trying to understand the guidelines.

Google regards tabbed/accordion content as hidden, therefore they don't index it. Instead of tabs, you could use anchor text, where subtopics are listed high up on a page, eg in a text-based menu or heading, or even in the first few lines of text on the page, and when you click on a link, the page jumps to that portion of the page.

As an example, choose an item on Amazon.com and to the top right side of the page click on the reviews link, and the page jumps / scrolls down to the location of Reviews.

It's likely no small task to refactor every page, and this may all be academic to you, Gary, but it is just a thought. If you want to try refactoring one or two pages, and outsource some of the labor, shoot me a message, I'd be glad to help where I can.

Google regards tabbed/accordion content as hidden, therefore they don't index it. Instead of tabs, you could use anchor text, where subtopics are listed high up on a page, eg in a text-based menu or heading, or even in the first few lines of text on the page, and when you click on a link, the page jumps to that portion of the page.

As an example, choose an item on Amazon.com and to the top right side of the page click on the reviews link, and the page jumps / scrolls down to the location of Reviews.

It's likely no small task to refactor every page, and this may all be academic to you, Gary, but it is just a thought. If you want to try refactoring one or two pages, and outsource some of the labor, shoot me a message, I'd be glad to help where I can.

Vic - You are right about Google, and the anchor text approach is one that many have go to in order to get around the problem.

However, that creates another problem - load time. Many of our highly-tabbed pages have lots of documents embedded on them, and if you put them all on the same page won't they all have to load before the users sees much of anything? That's not the case with tabbed content as it just has to load what's on that tab before you see it.

I really struggle with this. Perhaps I need to re-create a page using anchor text and see how it works.

As for outsourcing some of the labor, I've thought of that. Unfortunately, the plan I've signed up for, at $6/mo, does allow multiple Admins. But each Admin has access to the full site. However, for $12/mo I could upgrade to the Pro plan and that adds the option of having Authors, and I can limit which pages they can work on.

Maybe it is time to do the upgrade. Thanks for the offer, but let me think on that just a bit. OK?

Vic - I thought about it, conferred with the banker, and decided it is time to bite the bullet and go Pro. So now we can have editors that can just work on specific pages.

Given that, are you game to try it out? Not sure what you want to work on first if you do, but I can duplicate any page and give you control over it. We should probably hide it in the menu so we don't confuse people, but I think you'll be able to do anything to it.

Ready?

Vic - I thought about it, conferred with the banker, and decided it is time to bite the bullet and go Pro. So now we can have editors that can just work on specific pages.

Given that, are you game to try it out? Not sure what you want to work on first if you do, but I can duplicate any page and give you control over it. We should probably hide it in the menu so we don't confuse people, but I think you'll be able to do anything to it.

Ready?

Perhaps you don’t need to upgrade.

You could possibly copy/paste/email the source code. I can then convert tabs to one page, add the necessary book mark hyperlinks, and perhaps to save page load times create links to the large documents that open in a new window only when required.

Just for one page to trial, it should not take too much of your time, and I’d only need it for the data we all see on the front end, for which we usurp with the updated page layout.

Would this work? If yes, you might impress the banker with your efficiency and financial prowess.

Perhaps you don’t need to upgrade.

You could possibly copy/paste/email the source code. I can then convert tabs to one page, add the necessary book mark hyperlinks, and perhaps to save page load times create links to the large documents that open in a new window only when required.

Just for one page to trial, it should not take too much of your time, and I’d only need it for the data we all see on the front end, for which we usurp with the updated page layout.

Would this work? If yes, you might impress the banker with your efficiency and financial prowess.

Well, I have already upgraded. And while I have a 30 day trial, I'm hoping to get others to step up to help.

As for emailing the source code, there are only two ways I have of getting that: A full backup or right-clicking Google and clicking Inspect. But you could do that latter on any page you'd like and then use that to create another page.

If you want to do that then tell me what page you want to work on. I'll create a blank page with a similar name and then set you up as the editor on it. Ok?

Well, I have already upgraded. And while I have a 30 day trial, I'm hoping to get others to step up to help.

As for emailing the source code, there are only two ways I have of getting that: A full backup or right-clicking Google and clicking Inspect. But you could do that latter on any page you'd like and then use that to create another page.

If you want to do that then tell me what page you want to work on. I'll create a blank page with a similar name and then set you up as the editor on it. Ok?

The first page I came across that contained tabbed content was for CB Radios.

I could start with that.