Bullnose Forums

E4OD gears in a C6 aka wide ratio C6?

Jacob84

Hey guys. I have completed my new 351w that will be going in my truck by the end of the month. Now I'm onto transmissions. I have a C6 in my truck. I also own a complete but wore out E4OD transmission and the parts truck it came out of. As the E4OD is rather pricey to rebuild and requires a controller, it makes me want to invest in the C6. I live where there are many hills (mountains to us locals) and curvy highways so vehicles don't stay in OD very much so the C6 is adequate for me unless I go on a road trip. The E4OD also doesn't have a good reputation for reliability and the C6 is known to be extremely tough and simple.

All that being said, if you want to try and convert me from the C6 and build the E4OD I'll start another thread and we can do a C6 vs E4OD discussion. I'm 100% open to y'all's opinions on it. Most of you have much more experience.

I have heard of people installing the planetary gearset of the E4OD in the C6 giving you lower gearing. I think that's something I would really like and I own the parts for it.

C6: 1st - 2.46 2nd - 1.46 3rd - 1.00

"Wide Ratio C6" 1st - 2.71 2nd - 1.54 3rd - 1.00

Does anyone have experience doing this and results? Are there any resources that y'all know of that would be beneficial? This is something I'll be doing myself to keep cost down. I'd learn something new and I'd have a blast doing it. Top it off with a high quality convertor, shift kit, and a good cooler and I think I'd be happy.

In my opinion the gearing between them is close enough that you wouldn't even notice the difference.

That's what I was thinking as well, Angelo. Glad someone else said it first.

As for the E4OD's problems, my understanding is that they were resolved, one at a time, and if you have a tranny with the fixes in you'll be good. Or, if you are building one you should add them.

That's what I was thinking as well, Angelo. Glad someone else said it first.

As for the E4OD's problems, my understanding is that they were resolved, one at a time, and if you have a tranny with the fixes in you'll be good. Or, if you are building one you should add them.

after researching I decided to replace my C6 with an E40D, got lucky and found a 95 E-150 that had a new transmission put in it a year or so ago so I'm not worried about the issues that the early ones had like Gary pointed out. The controller is definitely an added expense. Thought about using a tax return in the next year or so to get a gear vendors unit and put it behind the E4OD as well giving it 8 speeds.

As you probably know, I’ll disagree with that if you put an E4OD behind a 6.9, 7.3 or 460. Or something with a lot of horsepower and torque. The one I had in my 94 F250 had everything done to it (as told by the dealership warranting it) to make it, what was next?

The 4R100. It was problematic.

Now the one in my 92 Bronco has been trouble free.

That 94 had 4.10 gears and my 86 with the C6 has 3.55. I don’t mind the C6 at all, but it’s not one I take on long road trips.

I like the C6 as you stated tough and simple.

As you probably know, I’ll disagree with that if you put an E4OD behind a 6.9, 7.3 or 460. Or something with a lot of horsepower and torque. The one I had in my 94 F250 had everything done to it (as told by the dealership warranting it) to make it, what was next?

The 4R100. It was problematic.

Now the one in my 92 Bronco has been trouble free.

That 94 had 4.10 gears and my 86 with the C6 has 3.55. I don’t mind the C6 at all, but it’s not one I take on long road trips.

I like the C6 as you stated tough and simple.

(a) drag racers use E4OD gearsets in a C6 as it helps launch better. (b) I'm glad you warned me about E4OD problems, according to my transmission guy when I got the parts truck when I asked him if I should go through it (I have most of the special tools) he said just run it. That was 5 years ago, all I did was a fluid and filter change.

Biggest problem with the E4OD is the programming in the EEC or TCM, it uses the torque converter a lot which generates tons of heat, I do my own tuning and have my unlock set at 80% throttle, it will usually downshift about that point, and re-lock shortly afterwards. I let the 460s torque do the work like it is a manual transmission.

(a) drag racers use E4OD gearsets in a C6 as it helps launch better. (b) I'm glad you warned me about E4OD problems, according to my transmission guy when I got the parts truck when I asked him if I should go through it (I have most of the special tools) he said just run it. That was 5 years ago, all I did was a fluid and filter change.

Biggest problem with the E4OD is the programming in the EEC or TCM, it uses the torque converter a lot which generates tons of heat, I do my own tuning and have my unlock set at 80% throttle, it will usually downshift about that point, and re-lock shortly afterwards. I let the 460s torque do the work like it is a manual transmission.

A good cooler goes a long way with heat problems for E4OD's. I once overheated mine and it leaked out the input shaft seal all over the ground. As soon as it cooled down, it was good to go. That was 5 years and 250k miles ago.

A good cooler goes a long way with heat problems for E4OD's. I once overheated mine and it leaked out the input shaft seal all over the ground. As soon as it cooled down, it was good to go. That was 5 years and 250k miles ago.

I have both the radiator cooler and the auxiliary one that Darth came with for the C6, just used the transmission lines from the parts truck.

In my opinion the gearing between them is close enough that you wouldn't even notice the difference.

You’re right, It’s not too big of a difference. About a 10% reduction in 1st and about 5% reduction for 2nd compared to the C6. It’s some but not a lot

What tuning software do you use? Do you get into the Ford EEC system or do you have an aftermarket controller like the USShift? The biggest reason I’m hesitant to build that E4OD is having to drop the money on a controller