Bullnose Forums

12v Electric Choke Wire Help

I guess I need to change that fuse then. Thanks!

As for the relays, that's a slick system. While I'm typing on the 3G page, do you know if they have a single or double-relay pack? I realize that $20 for 6 relays and fuses is cheap, but I'm exploring options for the page.

Ok, sports fans, let's see what you think of what we have on the Choke tab here: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversions.

We can embellish it, improve it, etc but we have a start. Please tell me what to change, add, etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I need to change that fuse then. Thanks!

As for the relays, that's a slick system. While I'm typing on the 3G page, do you know if they have a single or double-relay pack? I realize that $20 for 6 relays and fuses is cheap, but I'm exploring options for the page.

Hmm, I found some singles on ebay but they are 10/per.

Ok, sports fans, let's see what you think of what we have on the Choke tab here: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversions.

We can embellish it, improve it, etc but we have a start. Please tell me what to change, add, etc.

Looks great!

Since it's typically the first question I ask myself when adding a load to a factory circuit, what about a similar 'peace of mind' confirmation comment on the 460 option as you have on the relay option?

Something like:

Since the R/Y from the factory is only being used to pull in the fuel pump relay, adding the additional [at most] 10 amp load is well within the capabilities of the circuit.

Gary: what you have there is what I did for my 3G alternator/Edelbrock carb. combo, except I used a marine 4-fuse block (with cover) with a single power feed because I plan to add other relay-controlled accessories and didn't want to run multiply power feeds. I fabricated a panel to hold the fuse block and relays with a central ground screw. So far works well.

Gary: what you have there is what I did for my 3G alternator/Edelbrock carb. combo, except I used a marine 4-fuse block (with cover) with a single power feed because I plan to add other relay-controlled accessories and didn't want to run multiply power feeds. I fabricated a panel to hold the fuse block and relays with a central ground screw. So far works well.

Scott - I was afraid a single would cost almost as much as the 6-pack, so I think I'll point that out on that page and let the reader choose. But I also need to add that the relay should be kept close to the source of power, like the starter relay, as the fuse is at the relay and if there's a short in the wire running to the relay it'll melt down. Having said that, even the wire running to a fuse holder is unprotected, so as long as the wire is kept short it is fine.

And I think your upgrade on the 460 is a good one.

Whisler - Yes, individual power feeds is an issue with something like this. I think Jim ran into that with his power distribution box. So having something with a buss in it would be nice.

Scott - I was afraid a single would cost almost as much as the 6-pack, so I think I'll point that out on that page and let the reader choose. But I also need to add that the relay should be kept close to the source of power, like the starter relay, as the fuse is at the relay and if there's a short in the wire running to the relay it'll melt down. Having said that, even the wire running to a fuse holder is unprotected, so as long as the wire is kept short it is fine.

And I think your upgrade on the 460 is a good one.

Whisler - Yes, individual power feeds is an issue with something like this. I think Jim ran into that with his power distribution box. So having something with a buss in it would be nice.

Gary, these relays can be bought at NAPA with a 5 wire plug already attached. I buy them by the hand full for about $14.00 apiece and use them when I do custom truck bed builds.

Gary, these relays can be bought at NAPA with a 5 wire plug already attached. I buy them by the hand full for about $14.00 apiece and use them when I do custom truck bed builds.

Steve - Thanks. Do they have the built-in fuse? That is what makes the ones Scott found so appealing, with fuse, relay, and socket as one.

Steve - Thanks. Do they have the built-in fuse? That is what makes the ones Scott found so appealing, with fuse, relay, and socket as one.

I had actually bought a set of these before I switched to the Bussman fuse/relay block so opened them up to take a look this morning. Quality is surprisingly solid. The way the sockets snap together is really nice also.

Red: 14awg

White: 16awg

Black: 16awg

Blue: 14awg

To avoid joins I would probably remove their wires and make my own but they do give plenty to hook onto.

IMG_20200214_083833.thumb.jpg.487a5392c66cc54089a021dd20cbeadc.jpgIMG_20200214_083846.thumb.jpg.b0623939ba4ba5c972396b05aae5f44d.jpgIMG_20200214_083853.thumb.jpg.fa12033f046cc59120462375960e3650.jpg

I had actually bought a set of these before I switched to the Bussman fuse/relay block so opened them up to take a look this morning. Quality is surprisingly solid. The way the sockets snap together is really nice also.

Red: 14awg

White: 16awg

Black: 16awg

Blue: 14awg

To avoid joins I would probably remove their wires and make my own but they do give plenty to hook onto.

Scott - They come with a 30a fuse, right? Other than that they are just right for the choke relay or for headlight relays. Buy a set of 6 and use 1 or 2 and have spares.

The only thing I wish is that the fuse holder was part of the socket and not part of the relay. That way you could use other relays and still be protected.

Scott - They come with a 30a fuse, right? Other than that they are just right for the choke relay or for headlight relays. Buy a set of 6 and use 1 or 2 and have spares.

The only thing I wish is that the fuse holder was part of the socket and not part of the relay. That way you could use other relays and still be protected.

Yeah -30

I agree, that would be nice to have the fuse there instead.