Bullnose Forums

12v Electric Choke Wire Help

Amazon delivering tomorrow so I should be able to knock this out. For the record, based on the schematic, the green wire won’t be used? What should I do with it? Clip it off?

Right, that's the NC that you don't need. I'd take a small screwdriver and remove the wire and terminal from the socket.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done! Glad it worked for you. :nabble_anim_claps:

I was hooking up the choke wiring today and was going the route of the 460 fuel pump relay wire. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread that the load on that wire is minimal since it was used for just the relay but I got to looking at it and looks like that is only 18awg wire. The 15amp fuse it hooks to is also used for some buzzers and indicators. While it would likely be fine, since Holley says to use a 10amp fuse and online resources say the choke can pull 7amps initially and then taper down to 1.5ish, I started having second thoughts about adding more to that size of wire. Ended up going the relay route using 18awg for the trigger and 12awg for the load. 12awg is definitely overkill but I went with it due to the length of the run as I am running it across the core support and then to the engine alongside the same harness as the distributor.

Again, it may all be unnecessary and the 18awg may work fine but I just wanted to report back since I made that comment about the added load being fine previously and ended up going against it.

I was hooking up the choke wiring today and was going the route of the 460 fuel pump relay wire. I'd mentioned earlier in this thread that the load on that wire is minimal since it was used for just the relay but I got to looking at it and looks like that is only 18awg wire. The 15amp fuse it hooks to is also used for some buzzers and indicators. While it would likely be fine, since Holley says to use a 10amp fuse and online resources say the choke can pull 7amps initially and then taper down to 1.5ish, I started having second thoughts about adding more to that size of wire. Ended up going the relay route using 18awg for the trigger and 12awg for the load. 12awg is definitely overkill but I went with it due to the length of the run as I am running it across the core support and then to the engine alongside the same harness as the distributor.

Again, it may all be unnecessary and the 18awg may work fine but I just wanted to report back since I made that comment about the added load being fine previously and ended up going against it.

The choke is gonna get lots of juice. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But seriously, overkill is a good idea on wire size.