Bullnose Forums

12v Electric Choke Wire Help

You guys are wild. Following closely...

Once you guys decide on what's needed and show me how to put it together I'm confident I can handle it.

Thank you!

Check out the page now to see what questions you have.

All - Note that I had to invert the normal Bosch relay drawing to fit with Mictuning's wire colors and terminal designations.

Check out the page now to see what questions you have.

All - Note that I had to invert the normal Bosch relay drawing to fit with Mictuning's wire colors and terminal designations.

Nice job Gary!

And if one cares about it and really wants to, for the choke and stator wires (the battery and ground may be close enough) they can remove the terminals from the sockets and crimp on your own so you don't have any splices/inline connectors.

IMG_20200214_170215.thumb.jpg.5d7601ec580d5fe613776e21f2c524be.jpg

These would need verified:

Tyco 42238-2

Tyco 180384-2

And if one cares about it and really wants to, for the choke and stator wires (the battery and ground may be close enough) they can remove the terminals from the sockets and crimp on your own so you don't have any splices/inline connectors.

Do you have a link to the single relays?

And can you confirm that the 7v from the Alternator will pull in and hold the relay closed OK?

Do you have a link to the single relays?

And can you confirm that the 7v from the Alternator will pull in and hold the relay closed OK?

Hey Cory,

Since the listings fluctuate, rather than a link I'd do a search for 'fused relay' on eBay. There is a single for 7.xx USD right now. 6 packs seem to be the best per unit price by far though.

I've seen posts both ways regarding the 7v question. Some say 8v is needed but others say it works fine with 5v. I've never tried so can't comment on it and will defer to Gary.

Before this thread, which I am thankful for as the 460 option is cleaner for me, i was going to install another oil pressure switch, use the LG\R wire to trigger a relay that would go to the new oil pressure switch and then on to the choke. That's just another option and does use 12v to trigger the relay but with the added overhead of the switch.

Hey Cory,

Since the listings fluctuate, rather than a link I'd do a search for 'fused relay' on eBay. There is a single for 7.xx USD right now. 6 packs seem to be the best per unit price by far though.

I've seen posts both ways regarding the 7v question. Some say 8v is needed but others say it works fine with 5v. I've never tried so can't comment on it and will defer to Gary.

Before this thread, which I am thankful for as the 460 option is cleaner for me, i was going to install another oil pressure switch, use the LG\R wire to trigger a relay that would go to the new oil pressure switch and then on to the choke. That's just another option and does use 12v to trigger the relay but with the added overhead of the switch.

In my experience the stator voltage has always pulled the relay in. But, that's a good question on these new relays as it may vary by relay manufacturer.

Scott, could you do a test since you have the relays?

In my experience the stator voltage has always pulled the relay in. But, that's a good question on these new relays as it may vary by relay manufacturer.

Scott, could you do a test since you have the relays?

You bet!

Just did a quick test with a continuity tester and a trickle charger that has settings for 6v 2amp, 12v 2amp, and 12v 6amp. At all three settings the relay clicked and tester light lit up.

My relays aren't the same seller brand as listed but it's likely the specs are close if not the same.

You bet!

Just did a quick test with a continuity tester and a trickle charger that has settings for 6v 2amp, 12v 2amp, and 12v 6amp. At all three settings the relay clicked and tester light lit up.

My relays aren't the same seller brand as listed but it's likely the specs are close if not the same.

To be exact, these are the ones I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253167690800

You bet!

I just tried on my bench power supply and my Tyco relays come in at about 6.5V. But that's a pure DC and I think the stator puts out a pulsing DC. And it is that pulse that gets read as 7V by most DVM's.

Anyway, it would be good to know that similar relays to those in the link come in using the stator. Thanks!

I just tried on my bench power supply and my Tyco relays come in at about 6.5V. But that's a pure DC and I think the stator puts out a pulsing DC. And it is that pulse that gets read as 7V by most DVM's.

Anyway, it would be good to know that similar relays to those in the link come in using the stator. Thanks!

Amazon delivering tomorrow so I should be able to knock this out. For the record, based on the schematic, the green wire won’t be used? What should I do with it? Clip it off?

CB3D12E3-8A4C-4DD1-915D-401915F57541.jpeg.9133431b4b7ec5d309a3d528cec9f5d9.jpeg