Bullnose Forums

12v Electric Choke Wire Help

Couldn’t locate an oil pressure sensor on the back of the engine. Honestly not sure if I found the relay either. I have a ton of relays on the driver side fender. I did find a red/yellow wire but it was going to this unused plug.

If you don't have the oil pressure switch then the red/yellow wire isn't going to help.

I'm thinking that it is time to fall back to the idea of a relay triggered by the stator wire from the alternator. If you agree then I will work on a schematic for that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty simple, look at the 351 HO circuits, but stator wire to one side of the relay coil, other side to ground, 30 to B+ (can be switched) 87 to choke.

In German, jein. The schematic from the EVTM is busy, with all the other stuff that's on the page and with the reference back to Page 17 - as shown below. Plus, there's no 30 and 87, etc.

So, while I fully buy into what you are saying, it is like one EE talking to another EE, and not what is needed in this case. Given that, I'm working on a diagram that uses standard Bosch relay numbering but cuts out all the ancillary stuff.

Once done that and your oil pressure switch trick need to be on tabs in the Choke section of the 3G page as suggested ways of dealing with a 12v choke.

1985-etm-page53.thumb.jpg.24f5b590f1e58ca4eb26e2a65a820604.jpg

1985-etm-page17.thumb.jpg.395aaba20f2bc874887113df09f95f6a.jpg

In German, jein. The schematic from the EVTM is busy, with all the other stuff that's on the page and with the reference back to Page 17 - as shown below. Plus, there's no 30 and 87, etc.

So, while I fully buy into what you are saying, it is like one EE talking to another EE, and not what is needed in this case. Given that, I'm working on a diagram that uses standard Bosch relay numbering but cuts out all the ancillary stuff.

Once done that and your oil pressure switch trick need to be on tabs in the Choke section of the 3G page as suggested ways of dealing with a 12v choke.

Here's my first pass - just before I pass to bed. Looks like it needs a bit of clean up, but the idea is there. And, we'll need to give a # for the relay, a place to buy it, or some such. Plus a fuse holder suggestion. But that's gotta wait for morn.

12V_Choke_Wiring.thumb.jpg.63edd1cbceca142fb5a9f2832e8965a1.jpg

Here's my first pass - just before I pass to bed. Looks like it needs a bit of clean up, but the idea is there. And, we'll need to give a # for the relay, a place to buy it, or some such. Plus a fuse holder suggestion. But that's gotta wait for morn.

12V_Choke_Wiring.thumb.jpg.1bf9f52f53230c240604f056dc25a141.jpg

Let's see if this looks better. What do y'all think? Is it good enough? Are we ready to move on to spec'ing the relay, the relay holder/socket, fuse holder, etc?

12V_Choke_Wiring.thumb.jpg.1bf9f52f53230c240604f056dc25a141.jpg

Let's see if this looks better. What do y'all think? Is it good enough? Are we ready to move on to spec'ing the relay, the relay holder/socket, fuse holder, etc?

Looks good. FWIW Holley recommends a 10 amp fuse in their instructions.

Not sure what other specs are needed though.

Before I switched to a relay box I was looking to go this route to clean up some wiring: https://amzn.to/2HkKF9l

Looks good. FWIW Holley recommends a 10 amp fuse in their instructions.

Not sure what other specs are needed though.

Before I switched to a relay box I was looking to go this route to clean up some wiring: https://amzn.to/2HkKF9l

I guess I need to change that fuse then. Thanks!

As for the relays, that's a slick system. While I'm typing on the 3G page, do you know if they have a single or double-relay pack? I realize that $20 for 6 relays and fuses is cheap, but I'm exploring options for the page.