Bullnose Forums

Roller Rockers

Hi guys just wanted to give you guys an updated. I finally got into contact with someone from Crower Cams. This is what he said.

"When you go up on your rocker ratio… you are basically making the cam a lil bigger… all you do is bump up the power band… if you are looking for a lil more mid to top end… this is the way to go…"

Basically what Pete said.

Now i wait till I do my taxes and get sokme extra cash I most likely will end doing this and hope for the best I'm very sceptical about doing a mod like this.

Thanks for the update. Like the guy said it will help the mid and top end. The farther the valves open and the sooner they open the more gasses can flow in and out of the cylinder and the better it will breathe at higher rpm. The cost, of course, is that valves closing is what builds cylinder pressure and torque, so there is a price to pay. At low rpm you are still paying the price without any benefit so that isn't what you want for a crawler or low rpm puller. Most modern engines sweeten the compromise with some form of dynamic variable valve timing, but we have to choose what we think is best for the intended use.

Thanks for the update. Like the guy said it will help the mid and top end. The farther the valves open and the sooner they open the more gasses can flow in and out of the cylinder and the better it will breathe at higher rpm. The cost, of course, is that valves closing is what builds cylinder pressure and torque, so there is a price to pay. At low rpm you are still paying the price without any benefit so that isn't what you want for a crawler or low rpm puller. Most modern engines sweeten the compromise with some form of dynamic variable valve timing, but we have to choose what we think is best for the intended use.

And then we get into proper gearing . . . .

And then we get into proper gearing . . . .

Yes proper gearing is key. That what is next for my truck before I do this mod but its back to the drawing board I was set in 3.55 gears for my truck because I still do the occasional towing not heavy loads but medium size and not often either. I've also thought maybe 3.73 for a bit more acceleration that's the 16 year old me saying that. I'm still leaning towards more of the 3.55 over 3.73 I have a 3.08 open differential right now.