Bullnose Forums

Speed Control Clutch Switch & Clutch Start Switch Mutually Exclusive?

I think I had an ahah moment today, and I want to bounce my thinking off of you.

Also, I need to apologize to Bill/85lebaront2 as I think he said there is a speed control switch on the clutch pedal and I said there wasn't. Turns out there is on Big Blue. But....

Also, I now know why I couldn't find my NOS clutch start switch - I was looking for a clutch speed control switch.

Yes, there are two switches associated with the clutch pedal/lever, as shown below.

E4TZ_9A837_-_Speed_Control_Stop_Switch.thumb.jpg.9f0cca51ba95dee20463f9d243eb4823.jpgE4TZ_11A152_-_Clutch_Starter_Switch.thumb.jpg.5aaf67e15a1450bdf68970b8a03eb2f4.jpg

But, it appears to me that you can have one or the other, but not both. Here's a pic of the two switches, with the starter switch on the top and the speed control switch on the bottom. I say that because both of them mount in exactly the same place.

I'm confident in that because I mounted both switches to Big Blue's clutch pedal today, and they certainly do go into the same holes. But tomorrow I'll do some more investigation and take some pics to show you what I'm talking about. And, I'll also suggest some ways to have both functions, which I need on Big Blue.

Start_vs_Speed_Control_Switches.thumb.jpg.13ba179e63537eb2bf2316d8404bc2ad.jpg

Mr. Gary,

SO interesting that you brought this up! I was just digging into this myself in the background!

I was digging around and searching for factory cruise control parts, and I came across the switch below on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-E4TZ-9A837-A-Speed-Control-Release-Stop-Switch-1984-87-F-150-350/184086206149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And just this past weekend, I dug out my spare pedal set that I removed from a 1986 F150 at the junkyard last year (Which by the way is identical to what is in my 1984). I was curious where the cruise control switch mounted when the truck had factory installed cruise?

IMG_9862.jpg.58b14547a4d3d51b256eec7d05bde669.jpg

IMG_9865.jpg.43d03bc3d01a1ed2e82fa39f8b018b0d.jpg

IMG_9868.jpg.d6a513934c4fcb763f9e73126309ba85.jpg

I'm guessing the cruise switch mounts on the back side of the existing bracket on the pedal set pictured above? My 1984 is exactly the same.

By the way, on a side note, if you look up the part number for the clutch with with dealer installed cruise, you will find all kinds of them on Ebay as they fit many other vehicles besides the trucks.

Mr. Gary,

SO interesting that you brought this up! I was just digging into this myself in the background!

I was digging around and searching for factory cruise control parts, and I came across the switch below on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-E4TZ-9A837-A-Speed-Control-Release-Stop-Switch-1984-87-F-150-350/184086206149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And just this past weekend, I dug out my spare pedal set that I removed from a 1986 F150 at the junkyard last year (Which by the way is identical to what is in my 1984). I was curious where the cruise control switch mounted when the truck had factory installed cruise?

I'm guessing the cruise switch mounts on the back side of the existing bracket on the pedal set pictured above? My 1984 is exactly the same.

By the way, on a side note, if you look up the part number for the clutch with with dealer installed cruise, you will find all kinds of them on Ebay as they fit many other vehicles besides the trucks.

You may be onto something! If the cruise switch can mount on the same bracket that might solve the problem.

I knew I needed to bounce this off others. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was holding off on buying the switch because I didn’t know where it mounted.

My speed control switch doesn't always work correctly and I'm thinking about getting another. Did you find a replacement for factory speed control? Or are you going with the dealer-installed variety?

I was holding off on buying the switch because I didn’t know where it mounted.

I can verify, they do indeed mount together on the same bracket. I removed mine from my clutch pedal assembly and donated them to another member here as I will not be utilizing Speed Control on my truck.

My speed control switch doesn't always work correctly and I'm thinking about getting another. Did you find a replacement for factory speed control? Or are you going with the dealer-installed variety?

Gary, Darth's is sometimes a bit wiggy on the on-off switch, meaning I will activate the cruise, then go to set it and nothing happens. Re-engage the cruise "on" switch, and it will set then. I am dealing with 24 year old switches (1996 steering wheel), you are dealing with 35 year old switches on Big Blue.

Gary, Darth's is sometimes a bit wiggy on the on-off switch, meaning I will activate the cruise, then go to set it and nothing happens. Re-engage the cruise "on" switch, and it will set then. I am dealing with 24 year old switches (1996 steering wheel), you are dealing with 35 year old switches on Big Blue.

Yep, this 35 year old switch ain't working too well. I put contact cleaner down it and it got less bad. Finally put brake cleaner down it and it improved some. It still doesn't always work, but I'll keep playing with it.

Yep, this 35 year old switch ain't working too well. I put contact cleaner down it and it got less bad. Finally put brake cleaner down it and it improved some. It still doesn't always work, but I'll keep playing with it.

Both are used, As you said Gary, the top one allows the truck to start, but one switch goes on the clutch, and another one goes on the brake pedal (but on the same aluminum housing).....That way, you touch the clutch, it shuts off the cruise, OR touch the brake, it shuts off the cruise.