Bullnose Forums

Wisdom of the list- Traction Bars

Dyn Blin

Looking for for the benefit of opinions and others' experience:

As I was rebuilding the rear brakes this weekend I noted the traction bar on the driver's side was broken at the fore-end. These have been on the truck since I brought her home. They look similar to the over-axle design to the Tuff Country offering.

The light coating of oxidation on the broken surface makes it seem I've been driving it like this for a few months since I last rotated the tires. I haven't noticed a change in the ride. At ~$150 to replace them, I can think of other items that could also use the capital outlay.

To the question: What do others have to say about the utility/necessity of traction bars?

My truck is not lifted, and the tires are a relatively tame 31x10.5. It runs empty most of the week and hauls on the weekends.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

None of my trucks have traction bars. Nor do I think I need them - yet.

My understanding is the traction bars are there to limit the wind-up of the rear axle, which frequently causes loss of traction and/or wheel-hop. But that's not been a problem for me and I doubt it would be for you.

Having said that, with 400 HP on tap on Dad's truck who knows?!?! :nabble_smiley_evil:

None of my trucks have traction bars. Nor do I think I need them - yet.

My understanding is the traction bars are there to limit the wind-up of the rear axle, which frequently causes loss of traction and/or wheel-hop. But that's not been a problem for me and I doubt it would be for you.

Having said that, with 400 HP on tap on Dad's truck who knows?!?! :nabble_smiley_evil:

My 1966 GT350 had the under ride Traction Master bars. I definitely didn't have any wheel hop with that car. None of my trucks have needed them and all have had more than enough power to light the rear tires.

My 1966 GT350 had the under ride Traction Master bars. I definitely didn't have any wheel hop with that car. None of my trucks have needed them and all have had more than enough power to light the rear tires.

The over axle style bars are god awful and will break things.

You would be better suited with something like Lakewoods traction bars for trucks, Caltracs or even frame tied ones with heim joints.

The over axle style bars are god awful and will break things.

You would be better suited with something like Lakewoods traction bars for trucks, Caltracs or even frame tied ones with heim joints.

The 1965 and first run of 1966 Shelby GT350s had override traction bars. The only reason given for the change was sealing them where they came through the floor. The fact that the 1966 models kept the stock rear seat may have also been a factor.

The 1965 and first run of 1966 Shelby GT350s had override traction bars. The only reason given for the change was sealing them where they came through the floor. The fact that the 1966 models kept the stock rear seat may have also been a factor.

It was more work ( costly )to install the over rides. The under rides did well enough.