Bullnose Forums

What parts for a 300?

Sac79

Before I emptied my piggy bank on expensive parts I thought I'd ask for some advice and see what experiences others have had.

I am determined to rid my truck of the computer since I'm sure it's not capable of running in it's intended state anymore. Thanks to previous owners.

My engine is standard, so I'm not looking for crazy power or amazing MPGs, but improvements in both and simplifying everything would be great.

I don't really want to go to a junkyard and get parts that are older than what was on my truck...

I also want to get rid of the current manifold set. So I'm 99% sure I'm buying headers and an aftermarket intake manifold. I've looked at the Clifford kit, but I believe I can get everything for less money separately.

The headers available from Summit appears to be the best price. Then they have the option of the Offenhauser C series or Dual Port, not sure if the latter is worth the slight premium, maybe?

I'm looking at an Edelbrock 1403/4(undecided on electric v manual)...

And then a HEI Distributor, or maybe just replacement parts for a pre-feedback model.

Anyway, advice, opinions or own experiences would be much appreciated. I've been procrastinating over this for a while now...

You will be working with a great engine! It is a truck engine, so will deliver its power [torque] at a low RPM range.

Consider the EFI exhaust manifolds [factory]. They will be less expensive than headers, will not tend to rust out and will not have the under hood heat problems associated with headers.

The open "C" type intake offers more flexibility regarding carburetor [2 or 4 barrel] and orientation.

The HEI distributor is easy to wire up [requires a relay], but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job. That is what I have.

This will get the conversation started! :nabble_anim_handshake:

...but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job.

And you can still buy all new stuff too, right?

Ford Duraspark module (Ford modules still available for cheap)

DSII harness (Doesn't Painless wiring offer this?)

Distributor and coil.

...but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job.

And you can still buy all new stuff too, right?

Ford Duraspark module (Ford modules still available for cheap)

Distributor and coil.

Rob, I have chosen to keep mine mostly stock, but have deleted the feedback ignition and carburetion system. My quest has been for fuel efficiency. I am going to attach a link to a report of my truck. Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html

You will be working with a great engine! It is a truck engine, so will deliver its power [torque] at a low RPM range.

Consider the EFI exhaust manifolds [factory]. They will be less expensive than headers, will not tend to rust out and will not have the under hood heat problems associated with headers.

The open "C" type intake offers more flexibility regarding carburetor [2 or 4 barrel] and orientation.

The HEI distributor is easy to wire up [requires a relay], but the Ford Duraspark distributor [1983 and back] does an excellent job. That is what I have.

I agree with David on everything he said, inc the bit about the Motorcraft dizzy. But if you decide to go with a one-wire unit, which includes the HEI, see the Ignition Simplification tab here: Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.

Thanks David, I remember reading your MPG thread back on FTE and thinking the only way I got 18MPG was with the rear brakes not doing their job! I took a trip before properly adjusting the brakes after a brake job and got great mileage, albeit with some dodgy braking...

I think decision made on the intake manifold.

I'm still leaning towards headers. I guess I could check the local junkyards just in case there is a good find on the EFI manifolds. I read somewhere that they require more bolts? But I've also read that the headers make accessing the starter near impossible? I did not know that rust was an issue. I've heard paint is(an issue). What about wraps to combat heat issues?

The ignition system probably deserves some more thought. Maybe some other owners of either system will chime in...

Thanks for the link Gary, this really is the destination for all things Bullnose!

That will be the next big purchase... Complete wiring harness, which I would rather not think about yet, but probably should, at least when considering the ignition system. I keep going over mine and thinking "This is still good, isn't it?". But with all the time and effort I've already put in this truck, I'm not terribly fond of 36 year old wires, but I probably will tear the rats nest apart and inspect it properly. Maybe I can convince myself that it is still good and only replace what I'm not happy with.

I'm still leaning towards headers. I guess I could check the local junkyards just in case there is a good find on the EFI manifolds. I read somewhere that they require more bolts? But I've also read that the headers make accessing the starter near impossible? I did not know that rust was an issue. I've heard paint is(an issue). What about wraps to combat heat issues?

The block which came with EFI exhaust manifolds [1987+] did come with am additional 3 bolts. This was to help on the assembly line as there now was 3 pieces [intake manifold and 2 [3 into 1] exhaust manifolds and the intake and exhaust manifolds are no longer joined together. The three extra bolts are not necessary. It has been recommended to fabricate am "L" shaped piece which is drilled and captured with the rear most lower bolt on each manifold. This prevents the exhaust manifolds from creeping downward. Others have done the installation [upgrade] without the extra pieces and have not had any problems.

The block which came with EFI exhaust manifolds [1987+] did come with am additional 3 bolts. This was to help on the assembly line as there now was 3 pieces [intake manifold and 2 [3 into 1] exhaust manifolds and the intake and exhaust manifolds are no longer joined together. The three extra bolts are not necessary. It has been recommended to fabricate am "L" shaped piece which is drilled and captured with the rear most lower bolt on each manifold. This prevents the exhaust manifolds from creeping downward. Others have done the installation [upgrade] without the extra pieces and have not had any problems.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've been to a pick & pull and found a '90 & '95 E150 with a 300, unfortunately neither one has been picked at(which makes the job seem so much harder). Access to the engine bay is terrible compared to our trucks! They only want $29 for exhaust manifolds, I checked and it would be for both pieces, not each. So the money makes it worth it if I can't find a truck with the manifolds. I'm going to some more salvage yards later this week.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've been to a pick & pull and found a '90 & '95 E150 with a 300, unfortunately neither one has been picked at(which makes the job seem so much harder). Access to the engine bay is terrible compared to our trucks! They only want $29 for exhaust manifolds, I checked and it would be for both pieces, not each. So the money makes it worth it if I can't find a truck with the manifolds. I'm going to some more salvage yards later this week.

ceiling is low but you do have a straight shot from inside the cab with the cover removed on the E-150.