Bullnose Forums

1982 F100 Project

Alex Guenther

I'd never thought about it, or realized the V-6 was 3/4 of a 302. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

It's not really...at least not in the sense that the 4.3 GM V6 is 3/4 of the 350 V8. The Essex V6 has the small block Ford bellhousing bolt pattern, but I thought that is where the similarities ended. Isn't it referred to as the "small" small block? Although Ford only used that engine very briefly in the early Bullnose trucks, the Essex V6 was later brought back in 1997 as the replacement for the 300 inline 6, and was used for quite a few years after. It was kind of an outlier at the time with it's old school pushrods!

I'd never thought about it, or realized the V-6 was 3/4 of a 302. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I have been cleaning off the head gaskets and took a look at the cylinders and wanted to get thoughts on some of the wear on the walls.

20200210_223237.jpg.703412d8b5195b85e801b40e83eb6883.jpg

Most of the cylinders had similar staining but this one has that scracth you can see as well. It's barely noticeable when I run my fingers nail across it.

20200210_223651.jpg.a79a13d198be42be03a78efff4d49783.jpg

Here is another cylinder for reference.

Im hoping to get some feedback on if this needs a rebuild or if I can run it from experienced eyes.

Thanks all.

I have been cleaning off the head gaskets and took a look at the cylinders and wanted to get thoughts on some of the wear on the walls.

Most of the cylinders had similar staining but this one has that scracth you can see as well. It's barely noticeable when I run my fingers nail across it.

Here is another cylinder for reference.

Im hoping to get some feedback on if this needs a rebuild or if I can run it from experienced eyes.

Thanks all.

I don't think the staining is a problem, but I'm not so sure about the etched places in the second pic. If you can feel the etching then I don't think the rings will seal.

I don't think the staining is a problem, but I'm not so sure about the etched places in the second pic. If you can feel the etching then I don't think the rings will seal.
Thanks Gary.  The etch would be at the top of the cylinder?  I can feel that upper portion is rougher but I do not feel any edge between the rest of the cylinder wall, which from what I understand would be a sign it needs to be bored out.  

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 8:58 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Sorry, poor terminology on my part. At the top of the cylinder is what is usually referred to as a ridge, and it runs all the way around. It is where the rings haven't run, leaving the original bore size, and below that is the worn cylinder which is larger.

The rule of thumb is that if you can catch your fingernail on the ridge then the cylinder is worn and you'll have to bore it out. But, that is only a guideline.

The etch I'm talking about is where the water sat in the cylinder and rusted the wall. That left pits and the rings can't expand down into them so there will be gasses blowing by the rings at that point - called blow-by. That's what I'm concerned about.

Let's see what others say about it.