Bullnose Forums

Cutting hole in door thoughts

kramttocs

PO had installed some 6.5 speakers in the doors and some surface mount tweeter in the top corner of the door fabric.

Looking to go back with a similar setup but am not a fan of the surface mounts. Would rather go recessed with a slight angle to the rider.

The surface mounts have left impressions in the fabric so not concerned with cutting a hole in them - or the door panel.

My concern lies with the door itself. The door panel isn't thick enough to hold the depth of the speaker so the door would need to have a hole cut in it for the speaker to fit into.

The photo below shows the traced location (the backing ring has those hills and valleys in it). It gets pretty close to the main speaker hole.

I was thinking I could cut the same area out of a jy truck and rivet it in behind to double the thickness and reinforce it some.

IMG_20200120_153138.thumb.jpg.8d039ca1eb90f65bcbe8e093dd66f75e.jpg

IMG_20200120_154351.jpg.05358d22c4df54066012a8429f746a4c.jpg

I doubt just cutting the hole would be a problem. You should see the hole in Big Blue's doors. :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

But if you cut out a piece from junk yard doors that should ensure there are no problems. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary!

Always hesitant to cut any metal off the truck without bouncing it off someone first :nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks Gary!

Always hesitant to cut any metal off the truck without bouncing it off someone first :nabble_smiley_blush:

Just a thought while you're in there, even though these trucks use the rod style latch, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install the reinforcement plate for the handle that is available now since these doors are prone to tearing the sheet metal, especially on the later cable latch style that stretch.

You could bond the backing panel on there with the adhesive used to put fenders et al on with.

Good thinking.

Turns out thought it won't be needed after all. While there will still need a hole drilled, it can be much smaller.

The door panel was thicker than I thought so after the tilted bezel is installed there isn't much of the speaker coming out the back.

IMG_20200120_182121.thumb.jpg.29cc816b055c2f673f22fb42d4d52340.jpg

IMG_20200120_182157.thumb.jpg.76ffd245d39361c7d75c4647d467a6b6.jpg

I will mark the part that sticks out and shave it off. Then place a big washer or flat strap and use the threaded hole in the speaker to suck it down and hold it.

Personally not a fan of visible speakers but since the panel was already permanently set up for it, I am happy with how it looks. Needing to repaint the doors in warmer weather so may paint the speaker the same color as well.

Just a thought while you're in there, even though these trucks use the rod style latch, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install the reinforcement plate for the handle that is available now since these doors are prone to tearing the sheet metal, especially on the later cable latch style that stretch.

Thanks. We have a 94 and 95 with that problem and have rigged them both over the years. I've never heard of the 80-86 having that problem but they do?

I've seen the reinforcement plates on ebay and I think JBG.

Thanks. We have a 94 and 95 with that problem and have rigged them both over the years. I've never heard of the 80-86 having that problem but they do?

I've spent the last ten years in the junkyards and have only seen the aeronose trucks crack. If you keep your latches well lubricated, there should be no cracking issues.

I believe OBS Addicts fabricates them new and sells them on Ebay.

It's not nearly as common with the rod style latch, but I've personally snapped the metal handles off them and sheered the door sheet metal so it is definitely possible. Any reinforcement on these doors is good reinforcement. I agree, you should keep them well lubricated. I have an aeronose truck myself and went back to the older style latch after I ripped a handle right out of the door.

Figured I'd throw that out there since you've got them apart anyways.

I believe OBS Addicts fabricates them new and sells them on Ebay.

It's not nearly as common with the rod style latch, but I've personally snapped the metal handles off them and sheered the door sheet metal so it is definitely possible. Any reinforcement on these doors is good reinforcement. I agree, you should keep them well lubricated. I have an aeronose truck myself and went back to the older style latch after I ripped a handle right out of the door.

Figured I'd throw that out there since you've got them apart anyways.

Agreed. I am going to be driving the truck for awhile without door panels so will keep an eye out for flexing.