Bullnose Forums

Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

Does anyone know where I can get replacement welch plugs for the Motorcraft 2150 carburetor? I'm working on this after a long time of r having a rusty tank. I've purchased a rebuild kit, however I'd really like to clean out all of the galleys or channels for the associated jet circuits. I've done this on my small motors carburetors and it has worked swimmingly. I guess I could try and make my own but I always like to purchase the right part first. I've checked over as many rebuild kits, and none list plugs.

I never had to take any out in years of operating a carburetor shop.

Thanks Bill, I just know that there's all kinds of sediment in there, but if there is a way to be sure to get it our without removing the welch plugs..... Please let me know what you suggest. I currently have the entire carb torn down, I do not have the Professionals-only carb cleaner, but if I can get away with some Gunk Carb cleaner, it's right up my alley

Thanks Bill, I just know that there's all kinds of sediment in there, but if there is a way to be sure to get it our without removing the welch plugs..... Please let me know what you suggest. I currently have the entire carb torn down, I do not have the Professionals-only carb cleaner, but if I can get away with some Gunk Carb cleaner, it's right up my alley

Compressed air is your friend. Be sure to look at the small inside tubes going down into the fuel wells.

That's my plan this weekend; lots of Carb Clean, small brushes, and plenty of compressed air.

Houston, do we have a problem?

20200126_085037.thumb.jpg.ab77ccc180f092cdec38980052d3002a.jpg

I'm concerned I'll get this thing together with the correct float setting and this will need to be taken apart again. I've already found a broken metering rod spring so I'll be ordering some parts, and I figure if i need to get a new needle and seat set, now would be the time to know, before the reassembly.

Thanks,

Houston, do we have a problem?

I'm concerned I'll get this thing together with the correct float setting and this will need to be taken apart again. I've already found a broken metering rod spring so I'll be ordering some parts, and I figure if i need to get a new needle and seat set, now would be the time to know, before the reassembly.

Thanks,

Depends on what kind of kit (a) you bought and (b) what was last done to it. Float setting is not as critical on these as it is on some others, you can set it at 1/2" and it will probably be fine. Be sure if there was an assist spring under the float arm that it is reinstalled correctly. The tang of the float goes through the hook on the new needle and seat.

Depends on what kind of kit (a) you bought and (b) what was last done to it. Float setting is not as critical on these as it is on some others, you can set it at 1/2" and it will probably be fine. Be sure if there was an assist spring under the float arm that it is reinstalled correctly. The tang of the float goes through the hook on the new needle and seat.

Thanks Bill,

You're right, I'm not 100% sure the exact details for this kit, but i know that the accelerator pump diaphragm is slightly different with an additional rod section to extend it to fit mine. I appreciate the insight on the float level, it was something i was concerned about, but I was able to find the specs for it. I'm looking forward to running this truck with the rebuilt carb after i saw so much rust and particles come out of it, as i cleaned it up, and flushed it out.

Thanks Bill,

You're right, I'm not 100% sure the exact details for this kit, but i know that the accelerator pump diaphragm is slightly different with an additional rod section to extend it to fit mine. I appreciate the insight on the float level, it was something i was concerned about, but I was able to find the specs for it. I'm looking forward to running this truck with the rebuilt carb after i saw so much rust and particles come out of it, as i cleaned it up, and flushed it out.

Alex - Make sure you put plenty of filtration on the fuel. Assuming you have a mechanical pump, I've run a clear plastic filter ahead of the pump and one after. The one ahead of the pump tends to need replacing much more often than the other.

Alex - Make sure you put plenty of filtration on the fuel. Assuming you have a mechanical pump, I've run a clear plastic filter ahead of the pump and one after. The one ahead of the pump tends to need replacing much more often than the other.

Thanks Gary, I just replaced the tank with a plastic one. i already replaced the fuel pump, and I've always had a clear inline filter following the pump. In combination with that there is the one at the Carb as well. I feel like the system should stay pretty clean. Unless you think that I'm overlooking something, I'm thinking that I'll stick with the current layout.