Bullnose Forums

Adding Remote Locking

Last night at church Steve/FoxFord83 asked me for help on his installation of a remote locking system. So this is going to be my take on how to do that. And it may be lengthy......

First, he has a system with these instructions:

Instructions.thumb.jpg.f16a4d8b8ce653ed2e4233df7addc315.jpg

But if you look in the upper left their diagrams of relays are ..... awful. (For anyone that doesn't understand relays you might want to read 12v Planet Relay Guide:) Instead of their diagram here's an industry standard diagram of a Bosch relay. In the quiescent state Pin 30 is connected to Pin 87a. But if you put 12v across 85 & 86 the arm will move from Pin 87a and connect to Pin 87. So you can kinda see how their relay works by having the White wire connected to the Orange wire via the normally-closed contacts, and then when the relay is activated the White wire connects to the Yellow wire via the normally-open contacts.

Bosch_Relay.jpg.bfda1ee3d0a5e99c714dead6e30c4415.jpg

Now let's talk about the Ford door lock wiring. Here it is in its virgin state, although this is from the 1985 EVTM and some of the wires have dots rather than stripes. But in 1986 Ford eliminated the dots and went to just stripes.

Standard_Door_Lock_Wiring.thumb.jpg.5591f59a691a0997f230c08cf5f03960.jpg

And here's what the EVTM says about how they work:

How_The_Circuit_Works.jpg.780fed77a736e00cf57ffc324b07a786.jpg

One of the key things to grasp is that when "at rest" the switches are grounded. Another is that if you look closely at the switches you can see that the Pk/LG wire is the lock wire, and the Pk/Bk wire is the unlock wire. In other words, if you hit the Pk/LG wire with 12v it'll lock, and if you hit the Pk/Bk wire with 12v it'll unlock.

So how do we incorporate Steve's module into that wiring to make a remote work? As below. In it the White wire is connected to the Orange wire via that normally-closed contact of the Closing relay. That way the switches still work. But if you push the remote's Close button the White wire will be connected to the Yellow wire via the normally-open contact of the opening relay which will give the lock motors a shot of 12v and they'll lock. Ditto for the Opening relay.

Standard_Door_Lock_Wiring_with_Module.thumb.jpg.da330aada48e12bc8a0966f92f74b6bf.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary and others interested. First, the RKE system used on the later trucks is the same as my 1994 Taurus, the truck system lacks the door keypad, but the connector is on the module. The switches need to be modified as the wiring is different. I have pictures of how to disassemble the switch connectors.

This popped up one day on the Chrysler related site I am a member of: https://www.amazon.com/XYZCTEM-Central-Conversion-Entry-Universal-Vehicles/dp/B016RUV8Z2?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_orecs_hd_bw_b140Cd_1&pf_rd_r=6RVZ29R6YH522NNBBPHC&pf_rd_p=25428c2e-5869-5578-95c7-4f9b533d1289&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=15730431&tag=allparconvert-20 there are several options, primarily 2dr or 4 dr.

Gary and others interested. First, the RKE system used on the later trucks is the same as my 1994 Taurus, the truck system lacks the door keypad, but the connector is on the module. The switches need to be modified as the wiring is different. I have pictures of how to disassemble the switch connectors.

This popped up one day on the Chrysler related site I am a member of: https://www.amazon.com/XYZCTEM-Central-Conversion-Entry-Universal-Vehicles/dp/B016RUV8Z2?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_orecs_hd_bw_b140Cd_1&pf_rd_r=6RVZ29R6YH522NNBBPHC&pf_rd_p=25428c2e-5869-5578-95c7-4f9b533d1289&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=15730431&tag=allparconvert-20 there are several options, primarily 2dr or 4 dr.

Bill - Are you saying that Ford's remote keyless entry system is easy to adapt to these trucks?

This is correct! It works very well! Thanks a bunch for clarification on the relays. When you draw the systems together, it makes sense.

I will add some other details:

The remote control system is so cheap on Amazon. It's like $12 or so. It will also flash lights on 2 wires if you choose.

I accessed my truck's wiring behind the passenger side kick panel. It was relatively simple to get at.

For power to the remote control module I used the same BLK/wht wire for the lock power. So both power-to-NormallyOpen wires are with the red fused wire connected to the BLK/wht. And there is a ground screw right there, so that is pretty easy.

This is correct! It works very well! Thanks a bunch for clarification on the relays. When you draw the systems together, it makes sense.

I will add some other details:

The remote control system is so cheap on Amazon. It's like $12 or so. It will also flash lights on 2 wires if you choose.

I accessed my truck's wiring behind the passenger side kick panel. It was relatively simple to get at.

For power to the remote control module I used the same BLK/wht wire for the lock power. So both power-to-NormallyOpen wires are with the red fused wire connected to the BLK/wht. And there is a ground screw right there, so that is pretty easy.

Glad it worked!

What's the name of the system? Or a link to it on Amazon?

As for hazards behind the kick panel, I think you are looking for Light Green and Light Green/White.

1985-etm-page79.thumb.jpg.2127196f4b1a852a6f849b85cba0f861.jpg