Bullnose Test Forum

Where To Buy Parts

swampedout

But, they also have the parts, although one of the bearings is $148.40 by itself. (Why do people choose strange prices like that?)

I've been wondering if it is possible to replace that bearing in the plastic housing with an off-the-shelf ball or roller bearing.

Gary,

That particular bearing is a real weird one. I replaced mine when I rebuilt my column, but I saved my original. At the time JBG was selling replacement bearings, but to be honest they were either very old NOS or simply used bearings that were cleaned up and repacked with grease. The one I received was really in no better condition than the one it replaced. Still...I kept my original, sealed in a baggie in case I ever need one again. It was one of those things that I said I'd try to locate a replacement for someday, but like a lot of other little projects, it's very low priority.

By the way, I just checked JBG and can no longer find that bearing. Maybe they are all gone now?

The upper bearing (Non-tilt), which was still available from Ford a couple years ago, is part number F23Z-3517-B. I also kept my old one here too as it was in good shape. The oddball lower bearing is part E0TZ-3517-B, at least according to the bag mine was shipped in.

The lower plastic housing...the one listed in the above steering column website for $41, was also still available directly from Ford only 2 years ago, and was only $10 Canadian, so probably only $7.50 USD. Just FYI in case anybody is looking. Check with Ford. I believe they were all over Ebay as well.

If somebody clever in the parts making business wanted to make a new lower housing that accepted a more standard bearing, they could probably sell a few. The problem is...that plastic housing also serves as a shifter guide on the auto trans columns (and 3 on the tree), so that would have to be taken into account. On a manual trans steering column, it is only a bearing housing, and nothing else. It would probably be easier to modify the pre-existing housings to accept a different bearing.

And that's only half the issue...lol. Figuring out how to deal with the ID of the bearing would be the more tricky part. It has a groove on the ID for an O-ring.

Anyhow...didn't mean to be so long winded, but I did burn some calories thinking about this back when I rebuilt my steering column...haha.

But, they also have the parts, although one of the bearings is $148.40 by itself. (Why do people choose strange prices like that?)

I've been wondering if it is possible to replace that bearing in the plastic housing with an off-the-shelf ball or roller bearing.

Gary,

That particular bearing is a real weird one. I replaced mine when I rebuilt my column, but I saved my original. At the time JBG was selling replacement bearings, but to be honest they were either very old NOS or simply used bearings that were cleaned up and repacked with grease. The one I received was really in no better condition than the one it replaced. Still...I kept my original, sealed in a baggie in case I ever need one again. It was one of those things that I said I'd try to locate a replacement for someday, but like a lot of other little projects, it's very low priority.

By the way, I just checked JBG and can no longer find that bearing. Maybe they are all gone now?

The upper bearing (Non-tilt), which was still available from Ford a couple years ago, is part number F23Z-3517-B. I also kept my old one here too as it was in good shape. The oddball lower bearing is part E0TZ-3517-B, at least according to the bag mine was shipped in.

The lower plastic housing...the one listed in the above steering column website for $41, was also still available directly from Ford only 2 years ago, and was only $10 Canadian, so probably only $7.50 USD. Just FYI in case anybody is looking. Check with Ford. I believe they were all over Ebay as well.

If somebody clever in the parts making business wanted to make a new lower housing that accepted a more standard bearing, they could probably sell a few. The problem is...that plastic housing also serves as a shifter guide on the auto trans columns (and 3 on the tree), so that would have to be taken into account. On a manual trans steering column, it is only a bearing housing, and nothing else. It would probably be easier to modify the pre-existing housings to accept a different bearing.

And that's only half the issue...lol. Figuring out how to deal with the ID of the bearing would be the more tricky part. It has a groove on the ID for an O-ring.

Anyhow...didn't mean to be so long winded, but I did burn some calories thinking about this back when I rebuilt my steering column...haha.

The Auto Paint Depot, has good prices on factory matching paint they mix fresh per order using your paint code. Any size from rattle can to a gallon. Very happy with the product and service

Gary,

fords4life - I've used Clips & Fasteners several times. They are good. And they have many parts Ford no longer carries.

Cory - Good info on the bearings. There's also this thread on FTE which has some info, like this from Bill/Numberdummy, although I stripped out his statements on availability as that was 3 years ago and it is no longer accurate. And, just because something is Obsolete that doesn't mean you can't find it.

• F23Z-3517-B (replaced C3AZ-3517-A; C7SZ-3517-D; E1FZ-3517-B) .. Upper Steering Column Bearing-Use with fixed steering wheel

• C7SZ-3517-C .. Upper Steering Column Bearing-Use with tilt steering wheel

• F23Z-3517-B (replaced C3AZ-3517-A; C7SZ-3517-D; E1FZ-3517-B) .. TOP (above the upper) Steering Column Bearing-Use with tilt steering wheel

• EOTZ-3517-B .. Lower Steering Column Bearing / Obsolete

• EOTZ-3D681-A .. Steering Column Lower Bearing Retainer-Black plastic round sleeve type (cup)

• EOTZ-3D681-B .. Steering Column Lower Bearing Retainer-Red plastic round ring type / Obsolete

• EOTZ-3D681-D .. Steering Column Lower Bearing Retainer-Use with Manual Steering / Obsolete

Note that Bill didn't, nor does the MPC, say which trucks get the red or black lower bearing retainer. But I'm betting you nailed it with the shifter guide bit. Maybe later today I can look at my columns and see if I can tell.

But, one question that Brandon/Bruno2 asked in that thread, and which I don't think was answered, is what #'s are on the lower bearing? In other words, might it be a common bearing that Ford was selling? Does your bearing have #'s?

• EOTZ-3D681-A .. Steering Column Lower Bearing Retainer-Black plastic round sleeve type (cup)

• EOTZ-3D681-B .. Steering Column Lower Bearing Retainer-Red plastic round ring type / Obsolete

Note that Bill didn't, nor does the MPC, say which trucks get the red or black lower bearing retainer. But I'm betting you nailed it with the shifter guide bit. Maybe later today I can look at my columns and see if I can tell.

But, one question that Brandon/Bruno2 asked in that thread, and which I don't think was answered, is what #'s are on the lower bearing? In other words, might it be a common bearing that Ford was selling? Does your bearing have #'s?

Gary,

The bearing has no markings on it at all. It is actually kind of rough little thing...it doesn't have the polished surfaces that a regular bearing does. And it is an odd little thing...not going to be easy to find a replacement for unfortunately.

The outer race is 1/4" thick, and the inner race is 3/8" thick and has in integral o-ring.

IMG_0014.jpg.1c4999aa4b26cadf38fbffb581da793b.jpg

Dimensions below for reference.

IMG_0011.jpg.4046cea7327012ce95196a666f7283e8.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg.3fe606590d1621fe481e4a22af68269a.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg.1b97cfa20e3ff4148b7b66f214a3584e.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg.01b86b2479f660dcc1511499535a07bf.jpg

As for the red and black parts...both are required. The black "cup" goes over the outer race of the bearing, and the red plastic piece goes inside the inner race. The only picture I have of all the pieces together is below. These are all of the parts that make up the $148 item being sold on the website linked earlier. Somebody clever (a machinist) could probably make a replacement for this piece that took a more standard off the shelf bearing.

column_lower_bearing_housing.jpeg.0c66ea464b2db08c7ca56a7b507c5d3a.jpeg

It's not all that difficult to remove this stuff for anybody that is in the mood. Doesn't hurt to clean the bearing and re-pack it with good grease.

Gary,

The bearing has no markings on it at all. It is actually kind of rough little thing...it doesn't have the polished surfaces that a regular bearing does. And it is an odd little thing...not going to be easy to find a replacement for unfortunately.

The outer race is 1/4" thick, and the inner race is 3/8" thick and has in integral o-ring.

Dimensions below for reference.

As for the red and black parts...both are required. The black "cup" goes over the outer race of the bearing, and the red plastic piece goes inside the inner race. The only picture I have of all the pieces together is below. These are all of the parts that make up the $148 item being sold on the website linked earlier. Somebody clever (a machinist) could probably make a replacement for this piece that took a more standard off the shelf bearing.

column_lower_bearing_housing.jpeg.115e38e418de88432ed542c62cfb4c79.jpeg

It's not all that difficult to remove this stuff for anybody that is in the mood. Doesn't hurt to clean the bearing and re-pack it with good grease.

Cory - Great pics! I'm including your pic of the lower bearing housing bits for two reasons. First, I want it bigger, so made it fill the screen. Second, so I can refer to it with these questions:

1: Is the "cup" the second thing from the left, just left of the bearing?

2: Where does the white thing go?

As for machining something, are you thinking to replace the cup and the red piece?

I think I'm going to have wait to pursue this much further until I get Big Blue's column apart, but I'm wondering if we couldn't 3D print something?

column_lower_bearing_housing.jpeg.115e38e418de88432ed542c62cfb4c79.jpeg

Cory - Great pics! I'm including your pic of the lower bearing housing bits for two reasons. First, I want it bigger, so made it fill the screen. Second, so I can refer to it with these questions:

1: Is the "cup" the second thing from the left, just left of the bearing?

2: Where does the white thing go?

As for machining something, are you thinking to replace the cup and the red piece?

I think I'm going to have wait to pursue this much further until I get Big Blue's column apart, but I'm wondering if we couldn't 3D print something?

Gary,

Yes sir, the "cup" is the second item from the left. It is a little rubber sleeve that fits over the outer race of the bearing in a captive way (There is one on the column upper bearing as well). The o-ring pictured fits in the groove inside the inner race of the bearing, and the red piece fits inside the bearing...the o-ring is what keeps it in place. The white washer is what holds the bearing in place inside the black housing. There are three little barbs on the ID of the plastic housing, so you drop the bearing in place and then press the white washer down on top of it and it snaps in place on top of the rubber cup.

See the end of my steering column below, you can see the two ends of the red plastic piece. I assume all steering columns have this part? The plastic piece is held in place by the friction of the o-ring, and the flat sides make sure the steering shaft turns the bearing.

IMG_0016.jpg.cfb126405053cce61771ae3400882e38.jpg

See why that bearing is a difficult item to replace?

If I had the ability, I'd just make a whole new housing that took a normal size bearing. You could make it out of delrin or aluminun or whatever, but the section for the shifter tab (between 9 and 12 in the picture) would not be easy to recreate. It's not required for a manual trans, so it would be easy for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Gary,

I just found out that a friend of mine is having one made for a Bullnose. You may see something on the market soon. The guy making it is in the US.

steeringbearing1.thumb.jpg.86600b3b491a9d30e2f1806e3ae0ca6f.jpg

steeringbearing2.thumb.jpg.1104f7fb4e20d9bfab6485b11a2896e3.jpg

Yipes! Don't be holding your coffee when you look! $575!?!?!?!?!?

By the way, I've seen rebuilt Bullnose columns listed for some pretty crazy prices, but I have to admit they were looking like new. If you ever run across a manual trans tilt column, I guess these ones are somewhat rare? I've seen them on Ebay for $750.

Yipes! Don't be holding your coffee when you look! $575!?!?!?!?!?

By the way, I've seen rebuilt Bullnose columns listed for some pretty crazy prices, but I have to admit they were looking like new. If you ever run across a manual trans tilt column, I guess these ones are somewhat rare? I've seen them on Ebay for $750.

I'd thought, briefly, of trying to make on of those. But then I realized there were two problems:

1: How to machine the reliefs into the outside so it would sit down in the column correctly

2: What to do about the square shaft in the round hole.

At that point I decided the old bearing I had could be cleaned and re-used.

But, I do have a manual tilt column. The one I took out of Big Blue is that, but I put a non-tilt back.