Bullnose Forum

EGR Valve Position Sensor

ckuske

- deleted -

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I have yet to test the old EGR to see if it was the EGR and the EVP, but I installed new copies of both on the truck tonight and my KOEO code is gone. Yippee!

Now on to KOER tomorrow.

I'm chasing down a hesitation problem when accelerating, just after pushing on the accelerator. If I give it a good stomp it doesn't seem to happen, but if I simulate accelerating from a stop (like at a stop sign perhaps), I get a about 3/4 second hesitation before RPMs increase. Never stalling or missing... just a 'dead' spot of sorts.

I got the carb rebuilt, new accelerator pump, etc. Nothing yet. I'll post about this in another thread eventually.

But thanks to Gary and all the others, you've been a big help.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I have yet to test the old EGR to see if it was the EGR and the EVP, but I installed new copies of both on the truck tonight and my KOEO code is gone. Yippee!

Now on to KOER tomorrow.

I'm chasing down a hesitation problem when accelerating, just after pushing on the accelerator. If I give it a good stomp it doesn't seem to happen, but if I simulate accelerating from a stop (like at a stop sign perhaps), I get a about 3/4 second hesitation before RPMs increase. Never stalling or missing... just a 'dead' spot of sorts.

I got the carb rebuilt, new accelerator pump, etc. Nothing yet. I'll post about this in another thread eventually.

But thanks to Gary and all the others, you've been a big help.

Yippee!!! Glad it worked.

As for the hesitation, that sounds like an accelerator pump problem, like not quite enough stroke. The 1985/86 Fuel Systems Adjustment booklet has this to say:

2150_Acc_Pump_Adjustment.thumb.jpg.1100478d216e5102ce45b2856922b6f3.jpg

- deleted -

Thanks both of you gentlemen. I appreciate it. I honestly hadn’t thought of worn linkage before.

I trust the shop that rebuilt the carb and installed it, but something may have changed on the truck since then, or maybe something else has broken. I really haven’t driven the truck much though.

I know you guys can’t see into a crystal ball, but see if this makes sense:

Now, I haven’t learned yet (aka haven’t read) if the accelerator pump is involved during during engine start. But, if my truck sits more than a day, it takes a lot of pedal pumping to start. It’s not cold (SoCal), the choke engages, but it takes a good six or seven full presses on the accelerator to hear it even start to catch, if not fully start. If the truck has been run in the last few hours, it starts instantly

Could a short throw on the accelerator cause this as well? Or what can I look for if it’s not related?

Thanks both of you gentlemen. I appreciate it. I honestly hadn’t thought of worn linkage before.

I trust the shop that rebuilt the carb and installed it, but something may have changed on the truck since then, or maybe something else has broken. I really haven’t driven the truck much though.

Now, I haven’t learned yet (aka haven’t read) if the accelerator pump is involved during during engine start. But, if my truck sits more than a day, it takes a lot of pedal pumping to start. It’s not cold (SoCal), the choke engages, but it takes a good six or seven full presses on the accelerator to hear it even start to catch, if not fully start. If the truck has been run in the last few hours, it starts instantly

Could a short throw on the accelerator cause this as well? Or what can I look for if it’s not related?

I think it’s normal. If I haven’t started mine for a few days it takes bit of pumping.

Especially when it’s cold, but not as bad when it’s warmer.

I hadn't thought of worn linkage either. But that could do the bit about not accelerating immediately from a stop with a gentle prod of the pedal.

As for hard starting after a few days, especially when cold, there are a lot of factors. Gasohol evaporates faster than pure gasoline. And a choke that isn't coming on quite far enough will require more pumping. But an accelerator pump that isn't doing what it is supposed to do will exacerbate things.

I hadn't thought of worn linkage either. But that could do the bit about not accelerating immediately from a stop with a gentle prod of the pedal.

As for hard starting after a few days, especially when cold, there are a lot of factors. Gasohol evaporates faster than pure gasoline. And a choke that isn't coming on quite far enough will require more pumping. But an accelerator pump that isn't doing what it is supposed to do will exacerbate things.

- deleted -

Got it, thank you all. I will check the carb with my son and see how many pumps it takes to get something to spray down into the manifold. You all have a nice Sunday.

It is a beautiful, but cool, Sunday here. Just home from church, am sitting down to catch up and watch the Chiefs beat the Titans (I hope), and back to the church building for game night. Gonna be a game-type day.

It is a beautiful, but cool, Sunday here. Just home from church, am sitting down to catch up and watch the Chiefs beat the Titans (I hope), and back to the church building for game night. Gonna be a game-type day.

Things worked out for you last night, then! My son was less than enthused (Packers fan) haha.