Bullnose Forums

302 Alternator Mounting Brackets?

Rembrant

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me chime in on this one. For a number of Years Ford built accessory mounting brackets for the Windsor engines (211-351W) with dual bolt patterns to allow them to fit either the 302 or 351W application. One of the ways this was done was with a cast aluminum oval shaped bracket that the long alternator pivot bolt screwed into. It was asymmetric and was installed with the hole for the alternator bolt up for a 302 and down for a 351. This kept the relationship of the alternator to crank and water pump pulleys constant and required one standard stamped front mount for both engines. Same was done for the power steering pump, and at one point the A/C compressor lower mount had a dual set of holes. Piece 10A336 is one of those "bisexual" brackets.

Thank you for confirming this. I found a few of these cast aluminum "bisexual" head mounts on Ebay, and I assumed the two different threaded holes were for the 302-351 height difference, but I did not find any confirmation of such until you replied.

There is this one kit on Ebay listed specifically for a 1973 Mustang w/302:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-73-FORD-MUSTANG-TORINO-ALTERNATOR-BRACKETS-D0OE-10156-A-D3AE-10145-CA-302/122845350805?epid=1123047420&hash=item1c9a274b95:g:a0wAAOSwsBtaJi9C&vxp=mtr

Is it fairly safe to assume that these parts would fit my 1984 302, and my alternator as well?

I didn't want to pay $100 + shipping for these parts, but I'm probably not going to have a choice if I want them. Some of them are available individually on Ebay, but the combined costs on buying them all separately wouldn't make much sense. I guess I'd rather find a dirty/rusty set for cheaper that I can sand blast and paint myself;).

Let me chime in on this one. For a number of Years Ford built accessory mounting brackets for the Windsor engines (211-351W) with dual bolt patterns to allow them to fit either the 302 or 351W application. One of the ways this was done was with a cast aluminum oval shaped bracket that the long alternator pivot bolt screwed into. It was asymmetric and was installed with the hole for the alternator bolt up for a 302 and down for a 351. This kept the relationship of the alternator to crank and water pump pulleys constant and required one standard stamped front mount for both engines. Same was done for the power steering pump, and at one point the A/C compressor lower mount had a dual set of holes. Piece 10A336 is one of those "bisexual" brackets.

Thank you for confirming this. I found a few of these cast aluminum "bisexual" head mounts on Ebay, and I assumed the two different threaded holes were for the 302-351 height difference, but I did not find any confirmation of such until you replied.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-73-FORD-MUSTANG-TORINO-ALTERNATOR-BRACKETS-D0OE-10156-A-D3AE-10145-CA-302/122845350805?epid=1123047420&hash=item1c9a274b95:g:a0wAAOSwsBtaJi9C&vxp=mtr

Is it fairly safe to assume that these parts would fit my 1984 302, and my alternator as well?

I didn't want to pay $100 + shipping for these parts, but I'm probably not going to have a choice if I want them. Some of them are available individually on Ebay, but the combined costs on buying them all separately wouldn't make much sense. I guess I'd rather find a dirty/rusty set for cheaper that I can sand blast and paint myself;).

Happy New Year!

Maybe someone on either here or FTE might have something. I can also ask my friend in Virginia Beach what he might have or find at the Pick-n-Pull there. He recently acquired a powertrain from a 1978 or 79 T-bird and it is a 302 engine.

I believe the parts will fit yours. But that's easy to say since it isn't my $100. However, the holes in the heads didn't change over the years, nor did the ones in the block. And since the water pump bolts to the block it uses the holes in the block. So, everything is really the same and that mount kit should work well on your engine.

I believe the parts will fit yours. But that's easy to say since it isn't my $100.

Yeah, then there's another $25 shipping, and then the conversion to CDN dollars...it ends up being more like $165 bucks, and then I might have to pay tax on top of that (depending on how the seller declares the parts for customs). It could end up being a $200 bill.

This is by no means urgent, so I'll dig around online a little bit more and see what turns up. I'd like to find an old Granada or something similar that is rusting away in a back yard that I could pick the parts off of for much less $$...lol. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I believe the parts will fit yours. But that's easy to say since it isn't my $100.

Yeah, then there's another $25 shipping, and then the conversion to CDN dollars...it ends up being more like $165 bucks, and then I might have to pay tax on top of that (depending on how the seller declares the parts for customs). It could end up being a $200 bill.

This is by no means urgent, so I'll dig around online a little bit more and see what turns up. I'd like to find an old Granada or something similar that is rusting away in a back yard that I could pick the parts off of for much less $$...lol. Wishful thinking I suppose.

When I removed the smog pump on my 300 CI engines . . I cut off the part that held the pump. If youd o it right, you can't even tell it was ever there.

There's a chance I have the cast aluminum piece hiding somewhere. I'll look when I can, but it won't be for a few weeks. However, if I have it it is yours. But I don't think I have the other pieces, so you will probably want to source the whole thing locally.

There's a chance I have the cast aluminum piece hiding somewhere. I'll look when I can, but it won't be for a few weeks. However, if I have it it is yours. But I don't think I have the other pieces, so you will probably want to source the whole thing locally.

I'm going to check around this week with a couple guys I know to see where there might be some old Fords kickin' around. Worst case scenario I will just cut my existing bracket and maybe stick a little heater hose bracket on it or something like that to hide it a bit;).