Bullnose Forums

Steering Box Bolts??

Bruno2

No, but we will.......... :nabble_anim_working:

Just for you, Brandon, we have a new illustration and associated part numbers. See Suspension & Steering/Steering/Steering Gear Box.

But, to answer your question, you need three 7/16"-14 x 5 15/64" bolts and three 15/32" I.D. x 1" O.D. x 3/16" thick washers.

So, let me ask: How many Facebook groups or other forums can, much less will, do that? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Do we have any documentation as far as what diameter and length the bolts are that hold the steering box to the frame? Also, are there nylon lockers for nuts or just lock washers?

There are no nuts, the bolts thread into the steering box itself.

Just to add to the info Gary posted above, a few months ago I tried to order qty 3 of these bolts from Ford and they are of course long obsolete. If you buy new bolts at a fastener supply shop, they will only come in half inch increments, and since you would likely end up with a slightly longer bolt than the originals, check to make sure you don't run out of threads outside the frame rail. Does that make sense? If I remember correctly, I ended up with 5.5" bolts, and added an extra washer to make sure the box was fully tightened before running out of threads. YMMV.

Just for you, Brandon, we have a new illustration and associated part numbers. See Suspension & Steering/Steering/Steering Gear Box.

But, to answer your question, you need three 7/16"-14 x 5 15/64" bolts and three 15/32" I.D. x 1" O.D. x 3/16" thick washers.

So, let me ask: How many Facebook groups or other forums can, much less will, do that? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks guys!!

I need to get to cracking on where I can obtain these. I will probably have to use the 5-1/2" style.

Thanks guys!!

I need to get to cracking on where I can obtain these. I will probably have to use the 5-1/2" style.

Bolts.thumb.jpg.42edab72fae0f08dcbf973722ceeb82f.jpg

There two different lengths on this page? Ryan at Blue Top says this gearbox was used in everything Ford from 80-96. These are actually for my 96 F-250. So.... are the bolts different?

There two different lengths on this page? Ryan at Blue Top says this gearbox was used in everything Ford from 80-96. These are actually for my 96 F-250. So.... are the bolts different?

Brandon - The bolts for a van are a different length from those for a pickup. (Guess I shouldn't have included the van stuff.) But I don't have a catalog for the '96 stuff, so I don't know if that takes a different length or not. I should have the bolts and washers out of Huck if you want them.

Rembrant - Very good point!

Looks like the shorter bolts are for the vans? Unless I'm misreading the parts list.

Looks like the shorter bolts are for the vans? Unless I'm misreading the parts list.

Yes, but I changed the page to only include the pickup stuff.

• 4 years later...

Yes, but I changed the page to only include the pickup stuff.

Just thought I would chime in here. A BAD cold/cough wayliad me for a week. So, I am finally at the point of ordering the gear box.

I am going to order new bolts too. LMC states they have 7/16-14 x5 ¼ bolts for the box. Washers are extra. Expensive.

Most people can easily find the 5 ½ bolts online or maybe at a hardware store. But it is rather difficult to do so. Search for 5.25 on length and you will find some grade 8s for relatively more affordable price than even LMC.