Bullnose Forums

Blue Top Steering Box Sale

Bruno2

Link to our model

http://www.bluetopsteeringgears.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7402333

No experience with them, but eager to hear and learn for my eventual box replacement.

Mark - Thanks. I hadn't heard of Blue Top, only Red Head. But, it looks like they do similar things to the steering boxes.

It turns out that Ford's design had the end of the shaft running against the cast iron case. And, while it was submerged in lube there was still wear. But when worn out boxes are "rebuilt" by Cardone and others that wear isn't addressed. Presumably they have a limit on the wear that is acceptable and boxes with more than that get tossed. But, a rebuilt box isn't the same as a new box.

Enter Red Head and apparently Blue Top. Red Head explains that they bore out the case and place a bearing where the wear was. And Blue Top says their boxes are "Remanufactured with OE seals and custom fit ball bearings to eliminate play", which I assume means they also bore out the box and put ball bearings there. And that can make a huge difference in the feel of the steering.

Mark - Thanks. I hadn't heard of Blue Top, only Red Head. But, it looks like they do similar things to the steering boxes.

It turns out that Ford's design had the end of the shaft running against the cast iron case. And, while it was submerged in lube there was still wear. But when worn out boxes are "rebuilt" by Cardone and others that wear isn't addressed. Presumably they have a limit on the wear that is acceptable and boxes with more than that get tossed. But, a rebuilt box isn't the same as a new box.

Enter Red Head and apparently Blue Top. Red Head explains that they bore out the case and place a bearing where the wear was. And Blue Top says their boxes are "Remanufactured with OE seals and custom fit ball bearings to eliminate play", which I assume means they also bore out the box and put ball bearings there. And that can make a huge difference in the feel of the steering.

The guy that runs Blue Top was a lead guy at Red Head for several years. Apparently he wanted to advance,but Red Head considered him topped out. So he went out on his own to make his strike. Blue Top is going gangbusters right now. I called to order a unit today and the owner told me to wait until Monday so I could save $20. Great guy for that IMO. He could've made an extra twenty if he didn't mention it.

The guy that runs Blue Top was a lead guy at Red Head for several years. Apparently he wanted to advance,but Red Head considered him topped out. So he went out on his own to make his strike. Blue Top is going gangbusters right now. I called to order a unit today and the owner told me to wait until Monday so I could save $20. Great guy for that IMO. He could've made an extra twenty if he didn't mention it.

Good to know, Brandon. I'll pass the word on to Scott, the welder guy from the show, as he needs a new steering box for Red, his '78. Man, the box on that thing is huge! Much bigger than ours as it is L-shaped. The steering shaft comes in to the top of the L and then a long sector shaft goes down, but it is encased in box.

Good to know, Brandon. I'll pass the word on to Scott, the welder guy from the show, as he needs a new steering box for Red, his '78. Man, the box on that thing is huge! Much bigger than ours as it is L-shaped. The steering shaft comes in to the top of the L and then a long sector shaft goes down, but it is encased in box.

I know Gary, I had a 1977 F150, the one I put a 390 in (I didn't want a 400 after dealing with my neighbor's 77 F250 with a 351M) 390 was a Camper Special engine, little bit higher lift cam, Holley 4 barrel (a special model with a strange power valve setup) and a different distributor curve. 3.25 gear and a C6, my design dual exhaust system, thing would haul buggy and get 16 mpg highway. I had a 1975-79 460 radiator in it and added the A/C system. I had a Wolverine 11' slide in camper which it handled perfectly.

https://www.placelookup.net/blue-top-steering-gears-inc_3167844

https://www.facebook.com/BlueTopSteering/

I tagged Gary in some reviews and other misc FB videos or posts. He can re post if he feels necessary. One of the reviews I tagged him in was on Red Head's FB page. A very unhappy customer and no dispute replied by Red Head.

Ryan Vigesaa is the owner of Blue Top and he will personally talk with you on the phone as long as it takes to answer your questions.

https://www.placelookup.net/blue-top-steering-gears-inc_3167844

https://www.facebook.com/BlueTopSteering/

I tagged Gary in some reviews and other misc FB videos or posts. He can re post if he feels necessary. One of the reviews I tagged him in was on Red Head's FB page. A very unhappy customer and no dispute replied by Red Head.

Ryan Vigesaa is the owner of Blue Top and he will personally talk with you on the phone as long as it takes to answer your questions.

I read the reviews, and I can say that they don't reflect well on Red Head. Were I to buy now I'd seriously consider Blue Top. But I have a brand new Red Head waiting on installation in Dad's truck. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks for posting this up. I've been planning to order a new RedHead box for my '84 sometime before spring, but I may give the Blue Top a try. (Since it will be quite a bit cheaper on Monday).

I've replaced my steering box with Napa remans (twice) and they're both sloppy.