Bullnose Forums

Did 80-86 F-350 Crew Cabs come with an XLT trim package?

Interesting to ask a question in the thread's title and not have any "body" in the post. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, I think the answer to the question is no. Here's a snippet from the 1986 Rapid-Spec Price List and the F350 tab. Note that there's Standard Trim and XL Trim, but no XLT Trim.

F350_Crewcab_Trim.thumb.jpg.1e7ee8cdbbb6a4770c952a2bb587e8c6.jpg

But that's only 1986. There's a chance that prior years had the XLT in the Crewcab, but I don't think so. The 1985 pricing guide, which is the only other one I have on-line, shows things differently. But here's a snippet of it, and you can see that there's only Regular and Supercab under XLT.

1985_Trim_Levels.thumb.jpg.39996d084cc40ec4e8437dc3cc771df9.jpg

Interesting to ask a question in the thread's title and not have any "body" in the post. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, I think the answer to the question is no. Here's a snippet from the 1986 Rapid-Spec Price List and the F350 tab. Note that there's Standard Trim and XL Trim, but no XLT Trim.

But that's only 1986. There's a chance that prior years had the XLT in the Crewcab, but I don't think so. The 1985 pricing guide, which is the only other one I have on-line, shows things differently. But here's a snippet of it, and you can see that there's only Regular and Supercab under XLT.

Ok, then Darth was the top line model in 1986, dash center had XL on it and the fender badges had XL undher the F350.

P3050016.thumb.jpg.1c6f889f12301af08199c6733ecfe801.jpg

I have never seen a XLT badged Bullnose crew cab. Even the ‘85s with the fancy pressure sensitive molding were badged XL. My theory is it has to do with the lack of power options for the rear doors, and there was no chrome trim ring, wood grain inserts or cloth panels for the rear door panels. Might have nothing to do with it... but it’s a theory. Mine is a XL and came well optioned except for power door features and a manual transmission (if you consider that a “lower” option).

I have never seen a XLT badged Bullnose crew cab. Even the ‘85s with the fancy pressure sensitive molding were badged XL. My theory is it has to do with the lack of power options for the rear doors, and there was no chrome trim ring, wood grain inserts or cloth panels for the rear door panels. Might have nothing to do with it... but it’s a theory. Mine is a XL and came well optioned except for power door features and a manual transmission (if you consider that a “lower” option).

Gary, I figured repeating the question in the body would be redundantly redundant.

In any case, my online image searches show none, the longest that received the higher end treatment being supercabs.

Good theory on the reasons why these models went without too many embellishments. Pity though; Ford couldn’t slip an electric motor in the back doors?

I guess they were meant to be true workhorses, and luxurious velour had no place at work. Heaven forbid you’d haul a work crew that would trash the door inserts and repeatedly raise/lower the electric windows out of boredom. It’s a good thing times have changed.

Gary, I figured repeating the question in the body would be redundantly redundant.

In any case, my online image searches show none, the longest that received the higher end treatment being supercabs.

Good theory on the reasons why these models went without too many embellishments. Pity though; Ford couldn’t slip an electric motor in the back doors?

I guess they were meant to be true workhorses, and luxurious velour had no place at work. Heaven forbid you’d haul a work crew that would trash the door inserts and repeatedly raise/lower the electric windows out of boredom. It’s a good thing times have changed.

I believe the 87-91 crew cabs also lacked rear power doors, although the front crew cab doors had the option. I agree that it is a putty, since it’s usually the rear doors that I cannot reach that would benefit the most from power windows and locks. I have seen it added, although never as elegant as it would have been in stock form. Like you said, they were built for work crews more than families at the time. No short bed crew cabs or crew cabs lighter duty than F350...

I believe the 87-91 crew cabs also lacked rear power doors, although the front crew cab doors had the option. I agree that it is a putty, since it’s usually the rear doors that I cannot reach that would benefit the most from power windows and locks. I have seen it added, although never as elegant as it would have been in stock form. Like you said, they were built for work crews more than families at the time. No short bed crew cabs or crew cabs lighter duty than F350...

The truck I pulled my clutch pedal assembly and light group from was a 1986 crew cab dually with just about every option you can check off, and it was still an XL. So I agree, no XLT's.

Yes, Darth came manual windows and locks as only the front doors got the power option. I don't know when the change was, but I used 1996 rear doors on Darth which had everything.

Yes, Darth came manual windows and locks as only the front doors got the power option. I don't know when the change was, but I used 1996 rear doors on Darth which had everything.

I'm comparing images online between the years but want to be sure - were they a straight swap i.e. the sheet metal creases, hinge door latch/striker locations? Later years definitely had better looking/functioning windows. How did you wire up the power windows to the driver controls?

I'm comparing images online between the years but want to be sure - were they a straight swap i.e. the sheet metal creases, hinge door latch/striker locations? Later years definitely had better looking/functioning windows. How did you wire up the power windows to the driver controls?

I was able to get all the needed parts from a wrecked custom 1996 crew cab dually. Wiring runs across the floor behind the front seat. The B posts need holes for the rear door wiring. Driver's door panel needs to come from a crew cab with full power.

Wiring across floor:

IMGP1114.thumb.jpg.8ff448403fa6238039b493cc9d045b4f.jpg

Hole for rear door wiring:

IMGP1142.thumb.jpg.7c81188e081aedf0fa6091ba706b740f.jpg

Driver's door panel with master switch (available aftermarket, but no connector):

IMGP1146.thumb.jpg.da49776e4f4c541122a8dd517b9b56a2.jpg

Rear door open:

IMGP1143.thumb.jpg.0a47ca52d86314e2cc3bbd10773dfb98.jpg

And closed:

IMGP1144.thumb.jpg.c4e7ee0b6fdeff8a2ace4166c1546bbf.jpg

I later added rear courtesy light switches so the dome light will come on with the rear doors open.