Bullnose Forums

Factory AC conversion thoughts?

I found two instances of idler pulley bearings, but neither fit your truck. So from an MPC standpoint it looks like the answer is no. But does yours look like it can be replaced?

I'll have to clean up the pulley, but when I looked at it last, I don't believe that it was meant to be changed. I think the metal is crimped around it. Doesn't mean that it can't be changed...just means it wasn't meant to be. I'll look into it and let you know.

Hoping my stock rad/fan/clutch will be OK, at least in the short term. I don't mind swapping that stuff, it just requires more time, and more money...lol.

I'll have to clean up the pulley, but when I looked at it last, I don't believe that it was meant to be changed. I think the metal is crimped around it. Doesn't mean that it can't be changed...just means it wasn't meant to be. I'll look into it and let you know.

Hoping my stock rad/fan/clutch will be OK, at least in the short term. I don't mind swapping that stuff, it just requires more time, and more money...lol.

More disassembly and cleaning tonight. The fan housing in the heater/AC box was FULL of crap...some kind of a nest built in there.

Anyway, this black slime around the evaporator where the cover attaches....was this stuff factory applied or did somebody add that during a replacement?

This truck did not have a lot of miles on it...only about 125,000 miles...and it's Canadian, so it's not like the AC was used year round or anything...

IMG_0397.jpg.fe7ed9c6d6267a84c23ac3c154ff4c0c.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg.8a465cf00f369f7b2f86a8c414017e22.jpg

More disassembly and cleaning tonight. The fan housing in the heater/AC box was FULL of crap...some kind of a nest built in there.

Anyway, this black slime around the evaporator where the cover attaches....was this stuff factory applied or did somebody add that during a replacement?

This truck did not have a lot of miles on it...only about 125,000 miles...and it's Canadian, so it's not like the AC was used year round or anything...

Mine had the same and was against the Canadian border with 120k so I assume it's factory. Definitely sticky, gooey stuff. I used some Eastwood string putty since the black stuff had crud all in it. Clamped it down for awhile.

Mine had the same and was against the Canadian border with 120k so I assume it's factory. Definitely sticky, gooey stuff. I used some Eastwood string putty since the black stuff had crud all in it. Clamped it down for awhile.

Yes, Big Blue has that stuff. It is really, REALLY hard to get off.

Yes, Big Blue has that stuff. It is really, REALLY hard to get off.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is really, REALLY hard to get off.

I scraped off the bigger clumps of the stuff, but I'd like to clean it all off. I often use Lacquer Thinner for difficult stuff like this, but I'm not sure if it will damage the plastic or not...

Thanks for the replies guys.

It is really, REALLY hard to get off.

I scraped off the bigger clumps of the stuff, but I'd like to clean it all off. I often use Lacquer Thinner for difficult stuff like this, but I'm not sure if it will damage the plastic or not...

I don't know what it'll do, but you could test it on the inside of the case somewhere. It doesn't soften all plastics and might not this.

• 8 months later...

I don't know what it'll do, but you could test it on the inside of the case somewhere. It doesn't soften all plastics and might not this.

Bringing this thread back to life as I would like to get this system swapped in for the 2021 season (and truth be told, I need some easy "bench-top" work to do for a while).

I was revisiting some of my old documents and reading through my EVTM and the whole swap really isn't a bad deal at all.

Something I am curious about though. On a factory AC system, there is the one vacuum motor that is on the engine bay side of the firewall. Can anybody direct me where to purchase one of these? Or tell me what it is called so I can search the interwebs.

Bringing this thread back to life as I would like to get this system swapped in for the 2021 season (and truth be told, I need some easy "bench-top" work to do for a while).

I was revisiting some of my old documents and reading through my EVTM and the whole swap really isn't a bad deal at all.

Something I am curious about though. On a factory AC system, there is the one vacuum motor that is on the engine bay side of the firewall. Can anybody direct me where to purchase one of these? Or tell me what it is called so I can search the interwebs.

Cory - That's the recirculate vacuum motor. And in the info below the YH-362 is the Motorcraft part number.

18a318-vacuum-motor-header_orig.thumb.jpg.c9e442774fd6cf1232e7115ed4e14dfb.jpg18a318-vacuum-motor-2_orig.thumb.jpg.2b2de1bd2439db5d7bbfdd6d17d900e9.jpg

Cory - That's the recirculate vacuum motor. And in the info below the YH-362 is the Motorcraft part number.

And around here a lot of the jy ones rusted out. Guess a bad semi exposed location.

If you need that engine side vacuum line piece, Shaun posted a link to a reasonable priced dealer not long ago. Another part that doesn't survive long in the jy sun with the hoods left up.