Bullnose Forums

Factory AC conversion thoughts?

I think it is either or, but not both. Don't know why, but that seems to be the case.

Ok, clarification...maybe...

I just went back through the EVTM again because it just wasn't making sense to me. I was looking at the "AC-Heater" page thinking it referred to both AC and Heat, but that is not the case. I found the Heat (only) page that refers to my truck, and it shows connector C606.

Heater.jpg.743d140cbf4cc7b1b41bc6fc9276eaf3.jpg

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I should be able to disconnect connect C606 shown above, and plug each half into the two connectors on the AC/Heat controller, and then I have C606 and C606A?

The two connectors from the AC truck are reversed...the male and female ends of the connectors.

IMG_0389.jpg.5e0690cbc7dda7644ea4f56fb079799f.jpg

So I should disconnect the two dead/cut-off ends, and then the two halves remaining should plug into the two halves of connector C606 in my truck. Does that sound correct? They may not be in the 100% correct location, but electrically that would be correct, no?

ac_wires.jpg.5ad63ea24896f443bae131e16abfc897.jpg

I think it is either or, but not both. Don't know why, but that seems to be the case.

Ok, clarification...maybe...

I just went back through the EVTM again because it just wasn't making sense to me. I was looking at the "AC-Heater" page thinking it referred to both AC and Heat, but that is not the case. I found the Heat (only) page that refers to my truck, and it shows connector C606.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I should be able to disconnect connect C606 shown above, and plug each half into the two connectors on the AC/Heat controller, and then I have C606 and C606A?

The two connectors from the AC truck are reversed...the male and female ends of the connectors.

So I should disconnect the two dead/cut-off ends, and then the two halves remaining should plug into the two halves of connector C606 in my truck. Does that sound correct? They may not be in the 100% correct location, but electrically that would be correct, no?

This is getting scary - I pulled out my '84 EVTM and opened it to the right page on the first try. :nabble_smiley_oh: (But if you'd stick width="100%" in the html generated for your pics I might be able to read them. For instance: nabble_img src="SPOUT_Connector.jpg" border="0"width="100%"/ with the pointy things on each end taken off.)

And yes, you figured it out, there's a page for Heater and one for AC.

Anyway, I'm confused. I thought I understood the EVTM such that the >> meant that the connector on the left is the male and the one on the right is the female. So, C606 should be oriented the same as C606A. But I think you are saying that they changed the genders between the two - right?

If that is the case you should be able to connect the cast-off C606 connector to the cast-off C606A connector and change the genders back.

Is that what you meant?

So, C606 should be oriented the same as C606A. But I think you are saying that they changed the genders between the two - right?

Correct. The connector genders are reversed between C606 and C606A.

If that is the case you should be able to connect the cast-off C606 connector to the cast-off C606A connector and change the genders back.

Is that what you meant?

Well, what I meant was, it looks like the harness in my truck was made to accept the AC harness. I should be able to open up connector C606 on my truck, and then plug both wires from the AC harness into each half of the C606 connector.

In other words, no splicing. Just plug and play.

I won't know for sure until I get in there and actually try it, but at least I know where to connect the two wires from the AC harness, even if I do have to splice them in (But I assume I do not).

So, C606 should be oriented the same as C606A. But I think you are saying that they changed the genders between the two - right?

Correct. The connector genders are reversed between C606 and C606A.

Is that what you meant?

Well, what I meant was, it looks like the harness in my truck was made to accept the AC harness. I should be able to open up connector C606 on my truck, and then plug both wires from the AC harness into each half of the C606 connector.

In other words, no splicing. Just plug and play.

I won't know for sure until I get in there and actually try it, but at least I know where to connect the two wires from the AC harness, even if I do have to splice them in (But I assume I do not).

If by "open up connector C606 on my truck, and then plug both wires from the AC harness into each half of the C606 connector" you mean pull the terminals out of the shells then I think I'm with you. Maybe. Can you say that another way?

If by "open up connector C606 on my truck, and then plug both wires from the AC harness into each half of the C606 connector" you mean pull the terminals out of the shells then I think I'm with you. Maybe. Can you say that another way?

Hang on a sec...I just deleted my reply because I worded it incorrectly...lol.

BRB...

OK, try this...

I disconnected the the plugs for an example.

Pretend the connector on the right is C606 in my Non-AC truck.

The two wires on the left are from the AC harness. One is brown/white, and the other is brown/orange.

It looks like all I have to do is simply open up the C606 connector in my truck, and connect the two halves to the two wires of the AC harness.

Does that make sense?

IMG_0391.jpg.6c192d29e7be4042be7ff44513827b17.jpg

If you look at the two diagrams in the EVTM for heat only, and then heat/AC, the AC wiring simply inserts in between the fuse and the blower.

That should be all I have to do.

OK, try this...

I disconnected the the plugs for an example.

Pretend the connector on the right is C606 in my Non-AC truck.

The two wires on the left are from the AC harness. One is brown/white, and the other is brown/orange.

It looks like all I have to do is simply open up the C606 connector in my truck, and connect the two halves to the two wires of the AC harness.

Does that make sense?

If you look at the two diagrams in the EVTM for heat only, and then heat/AC, the AC wiring simply inserts in between the fuse and the blower.

That should be all I have to do.

Dawn! Marblehead! Yes! I agree. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Dawn! Marblehead! Yes! I agree. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Ok, technically speaking, I'm all good on this swap now. Wiring, plumbing, mechanical, etc. I still need a few little odds and ends, but I have all of the big and important stuff now. This one is going to be fun, and it will look good as a full factory install. A lot of things won't raise the value of my little old Bull, but some nice cold factory AC will.

Couple questions though Gary that I asked above wondering if you can help with:

1. Did a truck like mine with factory AC have a different radiator fan?

2. Do you know if the bearing can be changed in the AC compressor belt tensioner?

Ok, technically speaking, I'm all good on this swap now. Wiring, plumbing, mechanical, etc. I still need a few little odds and ends, but I have all of the big and important stuff now. This one is going to be fun, and it will look good as a full factory install. A lot of things won't raise the value of my little old Bull, but some nice cold factory AC will.

Couple questions though Gary that I asked above wondering if you can help with:

1. Did a truck like mine with factory AC have a different radiator fan?

2. Do you know if the bearing can be changed in the AC compressor belt tensioner?

Glad you are essentially "there". Gotta be a good feeling.

On your questions, the one about the fan is certainly different between A/C and non-A/C trucks, and that is shown on the page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/COOLING FAN #'S & ILLUSTRATIONS. The non-AC fan is 18 1/4" in diameter and the AC one is 19". But there's also a difference in the clutch, which is also shown. And, there's a chance you will need a different shroud, as shown on the page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s.

On the idler pulley bearing, I don't know. I do know that the serpentine ones can be replaced as I've done that. But I've not tried the vee-belt ones. I'll go look ..... :nabble_anim_working:

Glad you are essentially "there". Gotta be a good feeling.

On your questions, the one about the fan is certainly different between A/C and non-A/C trucks, and that is shown on the page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/COOLING FAN #'S & ILLUSTRATIONS. The non-AC fan is 18 1/4" in diameter and the AC one is 19". But there's also a difference in the clutch, which is also shown. And, there's a chance you will need a different shroud, as shown on the page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s.

On the idler pulley bearing, I don't know. I do know that the serpentine ones can be replaced as I've done that. But I've not tried the vee-belt ones. I'll go look ..... :nabble_anim_working:

I found two instances of idler pulley bearings, but neither fit your truck. So from an MPC standpoint it looks like the answer is no. But does yours look like it can be replaced?

Idler_Pulley_Bearing.thumb.jpg.ae876e62e17beb2d8e45f67989cb3932.jpg

Idler_Pulley_Bearing_-_2.thumb.jpg.fb56441747ebcab5c04f94a058cf6bc9.jpg