Bullnose Forums

Factory AC conversion thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shaun,

I may very well be interested in the parts if you're not going to use them. My sister in law and her husband just bought a place in Florida and are driving down in a couple weeks. I've already told him that I'll be sending him to the junkyards for me down there...haha, so I could get him to pick up parts for me if need be. What year are you parts from? There were some changes in them at some point no?

Guys,

I'm just spit ballin' some ideas here, but with the heat/AC plenum below, I could make my own distribution ducts if I wanted to, correct?

s-l1600.jpg.37306a8c96568c9e48c7794ba41ed5cc.jpg

If I had everything installed for factory AC up to this plenum, I could then make a header of sorts to go over the AC door, and then run flex ducts to the passenger dash and instrument bezel, correct?

Guys,

I'm just spit ballin' some ideas here, but with the heat/AC plenum below, I could make my own distribution ducts if I wanted to, correct?

If I had everything installed for factory AC up to this plenum, I could then make a header of sorts to go over the AC door, and then run flex ducts to the passenger dash and instrument bezel, correct?

I think that would work. Some of the dealer-installed A/C systems used flexible ducts.

I think that would work. Some of the dealer-installed A/C systems used flexible ducts.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just spit balling some plans on how to do this once I get my hands on all of the parts. I may end up with a hybrid system...that is mostly factory AC with the distribution/vents more like a dealer AC system. It would work fine and most people wouldn't know the difference visually anyway.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm just spit balling some plans on how to do this once I get my hands on all of the parts. I may end up with a hybrid system...that is mostly factory AC with the distribution/vents more like a dealer AC system. It would work fine and most people wouldn't know the difference visually anyway.

I still have the ducting from my truck as well I could include with the rest of the stuff. It comes apart in a couple pieces so isn't too bulky.

• 1 month later...

So I finally picked up a whole car load of stuff tonight. Mostly the final pieces for a full factory AC conversion. The dash is in really nice condition, but the steel frame needs some repair work on the driver's side. I didn't need the cluster or bezels, but they came with the whole thing anyway.

IMG_0367.jpg.9768eea1ab88f70530f9fc958f5a4bc5.jpg

So now I have just about everything, all removed from three different trucks. Dash/interior parts and all ducts/heater/AC box removed from a 1986. All engine bay lines, condenser, and wiring harness removed from a 1983, and compressor and brackets removed from a 1985 w/302 out in ND.

Couple little trinkets I still need, and I believe some misc parts that Shaun may still have, and I'm good to go here. It won't be happening right away, but perhaps I'll start a new thread later on about the conversion.

Thanks to all that have helped me get this far. Your patience has been appreciated.

So I finally picked up a whole car load of stuff tonight. Mostly the final pieces for a full factory AC conversion. The dash is in really nice condition, but the steel frame needs some repair work on the driver's side. I didn't need the cluster or bezels, but they came with the whole thing anyway.

So now I have just about everything, all removed from three different trucks. Dash/interior parts and all ducts/heater/AC box removed from a 1986. All engine bay lines, condenser, and wiring harness removed from a 1983, and compressor and brackets removed from a 1985 w/302 out in ND.

Couple little trinkets I still need, and I believe some misc parts that Shaun may still have, and I'm good to go here. It won't be happening right away, but perhaps I'll start a new thread later on about the conversion.

Thanks to all that have helped me get this far. Your patience has been appreciated.

That dash looks great.

Congrat's!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

By the way, those burled wood bezels are some of the best I've seen - save for the extra hole left of the steering column. Must have either been parked inside or come from somewhere that doesn't have a lot of UV.

Congrat's!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

By the way, those burled wood bezels are some of the best I've seen - save for the extra hole left of the steering column. Must have either been parked inside or come from somewhere that doesn't have a lot of UV.

Wow! That’s great!